Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book of Revelation - question

Book of Revelation - question

I am writing a short story. Throughout the the story I am using quotes from the book of revelation.

As I was reading it, I got to Revelation 22:18, where it says:

"I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book; if anyone takes away from the words of this prophecy, God will take away that person's share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book."

I don't want to be blasphemous while writing this short story. Is using the quotes from Revelation and changing them slightly exactly what 22:18 is referring to?
    Last edited by Thryllin; 05-02-2010 at 12:15 AM. Reason: spelling error

Blog Entries
    Being a devout Bible student and preacher, as long as you are writing fiction, and it is understood to be fiction, I wouldn't worry about blaspheming the word.
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

It is a short fictional story for a university english course.
    The story is about a writer trying to find an epiphany in the world of writing fiction. I planned on using quotes from Revelation and change them slightly until I came across this warning.
    The story is definately fiction.
    So you think it is okay.

Blog Entries
    If it would make you feel more at ease. Write a disclosure with the verse as it is correctly written in Revelation.
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Quote Originally Posted by Thryllin View Post
    "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book; if anyone takes away from the words of this prophecy, God will take away that person's share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book."
    I was not familiar with this quotation, but I think it makes one point abundantly clear: God hates editors.

"If it is honorable for you to disturb the dead, I shall consider it an honor and will make it my ambition to disturb your living." - Captain Miles Hazzard

The Apocalypse known as Revelations was and is a disputed book of the NT.
    The author may or may not have been the Apostle John, no one really knows who wrote it. To this day it is not used for liturgical use in the Eastern Orthodox Church, it has been disputed on up through the centuries. Over time because of its inclusion in many Bibles people assume it belongs just because it is there.

Quotes

I am writing a short story. Throughout the the story I am using quotes from the book of revelation.

As I was reading it, I got to Revelation 22:18, where it says:

I don't want to be blasphemous while writing this short story. Is using the quotes from Revelation and changing them slightly exactly what 22:18 is referring to?
    Why not stick to the actual quotes. Why do you need to change them? Just wondering.

I wouldn't worry about it, especially given that you are doing the story as an assignment.

If it makes you feel better, you could always just put the actual verses in an appendix and link to them in your text using endnotes.
    Teacher and writer living in rural Japan--very adept with chopsticks! Humorous serial shorts and historical fiction graphic novel at: http://drugstorebooks.com

For those who believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God, I wouldn’t worry about any accusations of heresy quoting from a book in the Bible.

For those who are sola scripturists, I still would not worry about it unless you were to then take your short story and use it to preach with, giving anyone a false impression that the story is new and revised. I think that is where the heresy might be found.

For extremists, there is no way of knowing.

Personally, I would (and have) include biblical quotes to support an idea, as part of a character’s speech, to illicit a response from readers or as a reminder.
    Last edited by LMK; 07-26-2010 at 10:45 PM.
    I'd rather have questions that I can't answer than answers that I can't question.

Blog Entries
    ...I don't want to be blasphemous while writing this short story. Is using the quotes from Revelation and changing them slightly exactly what 22:18 is referring to?
    I echo what others have said and embellish thus: Assuming there is a God, and that he, she, or it is rational, patient, loving, and secure; in other words, a much higher form of the best of us, and if you take care to clearly flag your revisions and state why you're making them, you'll be OK.

However, if God is the capricious, jealous, short-fused, abusive father-figure the Bible seems to portray, I'd steer way clear of any such liberties.

I commend you for getting the name right. It irritates me to hear it called "Revelations" by people who presumably have actually read from it.
    Last edited by El Viejo; 07-26-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LMK View Post
    ...Personally, I would (and have) include biblical quotes to support an idea, as part of a character’s speech, to illicit a response from readers or as a reminder.
    Excuse me while I fetch my gloves, riding crop, and pull on my jackboots....

It's 'elicit,' not 'illicit.'

There. Done. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
    Excuse me while I fetch my gloves, riding crop, and pull on my jackboots....

It's 'elicit,' not 'illicit.'

There. Done. Thank you.
    Thank you, I stand corrected.

While many of us do read typo and quick-miss-homonyms, I appreciate your concern for the integrity of my writing. You do seem to take pride in your correction of others; I hope I've helped your day along by giving you the opportunity to instruct the forum.
    I'd rather have questions that I can't answer than answers that I can't question.

Is using the quotes from Revelation and changing them slightly exactly what 22:18 is referring to?
    It is not exactly this Revelation 22:18 is referring to. The verse is a warning that it is unwise to edit the book and present it as unedited. John acknowledges that because of the special and extraordinary content of the book, some people may want to remove parts that might turn people off, or add parts for some or other reason. Revelation 22:18 a clear warning that the book shall not be tampered with, so that when we now read it 2000 years later we can trust that what is in the book really is what John wrote.

While this verse may not specifically refer to your instance, I hope that you will show respect to the Bible and quote what the it actually says without editing it to your own purposes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LMK View Post
    Thank you, I stand corrected.

While many of us do read typo and quick-miss-homonyms, I appreciate your concern for the integrity of my writing. You do seem to take pride in your correction of others; I hope I've helped your day along by giving you the opportunity to instruct the forum.
    You're welcome, but you misunderstand.

Vocabulary is like color. More colors and shades permit one to create more detailed, nuanced images.

Many, perhaps most, learn the meaning of words, not by looking them up in the dictionary as Sister Mary David said we should, but by noting their context.

So if I referred to one's vocabulary as their 'palate' instead of their 'palette' it might amuse you but others who are learning from context would attach the wrong meaning to the word and would in turn confuse others.

I don't like being corrected any more than anyone else, so I tried to be considerate and make light of it with the jackboots reference, which apparently didn't work.

I apologize for being a bull in a china shop, but not for the correction.

The verse is a warning to those who whis to tamper with the word of God. Be careful about how you re-phrase his word. Hold true to the original meaning and you should be blessed by GOD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast