Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: themes of Thomas Hardy`s novels.

Quote Originally Posted by ktm5124 View Post
    Because if we discuss Hardy, then we help this hapless high school student ;-)
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Quote Originally Posted by ktm5124 View Post
    Because if we discuss Hardy, then we help this hapless high school student ;-)
    Yes, I'm even trying to steer the conversation towards that of Woolf - did you notice that? Also I have Wodehouse burning a hole in my sofa arm absolutely demanding to be read. I've never read a Wodehouse. The tension is unbearable. I hope it lasts...

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Yes, I'm even trying to steer the conversation towards that of Woolf - did you notice that? Also I have Wodehouse burning a hole in my sofa arm absolutely demanding to be read. I've never read a Wodehouse. The tension is unbearable. I hope it lasts...
    How are you enjoying To the Lighthouse? I really liked Mrs. Dalloway, but when I tried reading The Waves it became unbearable - I had to give it up! But I am more optimistic about her other novels. I actually have To the Lighthouse on my bookshelf, "demanding to be read" ;-)

As for themes, there's cruelty from nature and love, country life, doom, erotolepsy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12