Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

0 0%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

1 20.00%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals

0 0%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

1 20.00%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

3 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Blog Entries

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Khaled Hosseini's second novel, follows the story of two Afghani women, Mariam and Laila, during and after the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

Mariam, who was an illegitimate child of a famous and respectable figure in the city of Herat, is focred to get married to a much older man and live with him in Kabul. Laila, who lives in the same street as Mariam's, is the only daughter of two parents who lost their sons in the war against the Soviets.

Both Mariam and Laila are brought together in unfortunate circumstances. They both endure the brutality of their husband, Rasheed, the war against the Soviets, then the war of the Afghans agaist each other and lastly the Taliban regime. Through painful and sometimes deadly events, Mariam and Laila develop a special bond, they help each other put up with the hardships and always find hope in the lives of Laila's children, Aziza and Zalmai.

When I first started reading the book, I was immediately drawn in by Hosseini's style of writing. He's one of the few writers who can actually bring tears to my eyes. Although the division of the book into four parts isn't my favorite thing about it, I still loved every bit of it. Maybe I got a bit bored in the second part (the one discussing the life of Laila), but Hosseini has a way of keeping you hooked even if you felt bored at some parts.

What I love most about this book is how it ended. In The Kite Runner the book ended with hope, same as this one, but the difference here is that, while in The Kite Runner the hope was found elsewhere, that is in a life in the US, the hope in this book was found by returning back to where all the problems started, and where hope is needed most, that is Afghanistan and Kabul. He brought back his characters to their country to help revive what was damaged by all the rockets and killings.

Although The Kite Runner remains my favorite of the two books, A Thouhsand Splendid Suns is definitely worth every minute spent in reading it.

9/10
    Last edited by Nossa; 07-13-2008 at 02:17 PM.
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that Nossa. You've really tempted me. I've got such a long reading list right now, so I don't know when I'll get to try one of his works, but I will look out for it.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

by Khaled Hosseini

This novel does exactly what I for one read novels for in that it took me out of my own world and transported me into another one [the world of this novel].

Russia's invasion of Afghanistan and the Talibans rise to power were merely items on the news to me when I was growing up, but this novel takes you there, into a world where you realise that a woman is relatively "free" if she allowed to wear only a head scarf to cover herself when she goes out. You know she has a reasonably open-minded family to go home to.

We see the novel through the eyes of two Afghan women [both wives of the same man] and their adventures are so absorbing and deeply-felt that it will stir your emotions, I gaurantee it.
    Last edited by neilgee; 04-25-2010 at 08:07 PM.
    What are regrets? Just lessons we haven't learned yet - Beth Orton

Death awaits...
    Blog Entries
    Well Neil, you are not wrong there. I now look at the world in a different point of view and thank God that life here in Australia is free. Free for women to express themselves; for women to be intellectually minded and for them to feel free not to marry. Let alone have to share your home with another wife. My heart felt for both women and am trully thankful for my freedom and right to say "no"...

Blog Entries
    I have recently read,- The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Book Seller of Kabul. I found "Splendid Suns" the least enjoyable of the bunch, it was a bit too much, Like Hosseini thought the more misery he could heap upon his heroins and the more wicked he made the husband, the more sales he could expect.

What was missing, was the examination of the Husbands character and motivations, he was merely bad, end of story, I wanted an explanation.

Death awaits...
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I almost agree with you there Predrelemick. There wasn't much focus on him. Honestly there was one point that I did like him. I am not into war and killing, but when he waved his rifle around and claimed he would protect his wives I almost liked him. But he wasn't the sweetest man in the world and I believe Hosseini, was trying to show that side of the times. But I could be wrong.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if it's to do with the order you read them in because I've heard comments like this so many times now, people who love The Kite Runner and don't rate Splendid Suns, yet everyone who has read Splendid Suns first rates it higher and I'm certainly one of them.

Death awaits...
    Blog Entries
    I guess I cannot judge between the two as I haven't read The Kite Runner. I should consider reading it... But I need a rest from reading about political and religious books... Not really my genre, but it A Thousand Splendid Suns, certainly moved me, so I will read more of Khaled Hosseini in the near future.

Blog Entries
    I heard on the radio that he's the best-selling author in the world at the moment, can it be true or have i misheard? I suppose it's possible given the International flavour of his books, he will sell in countries where JK Rowling doesn't.

Death awaits...
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if you heard right or not, but it will definitely make its sales for him. This book is an exceptional read.

Blog Entries
    The methods and the ideology of the Taliban are well documented, I am clearer about that than I am about Hosseini's book sales. The attitude towards women - that of the Taliban with their leaflets proclaiming that any woman seen out walking on her own is breaking their laws [and thereby fair game for an on the spot beating] and the husband - as depicted in the novel are perfectly believable to me.

After all it's not that long since women didn't have the vote and women's property and money automatically belonged to their husband as soon as they married in the West. Why should it seem over the top that such attitudes prevail in poorer countries?

Growing up in such an environment is an open invitation to certain kinds of men to become twisted bullies. Like the man who rises high in the Taliban ranks [in the novel] says, it's an ideal setting for a bully, all sanctified in the name of religious righteousness.

Blog Entries
    "The Book Seller of Kabul" gives some insight into these issues. There are some areas in Afghanistan that has such deep-set liberal traditions that the Taliban knew better than to challenge them. There are also areas where local traditions are so strict that the Taliban's rule made no difference to them.
    My point is that the way of life - particularly the attitude towards the women, and indeed the attitude of the women - is traditional rather than imposed upon them by the Taliban. The Taliban though, enforced these rules through bullying and terror.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    I have recently read,- The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Book Seller of Kabul. I found "Splendid Suns" the least enjoyable of the bunch, it was a bit too much, Like Hosseini thought the more misery he could heap upon his heroins and the more wicked he made the husband, the more sales he could expect.
    I pretty much agree with this. Splendid Suns is much weaker than the Kite; Hosseini sounds like he just wanted to make best of his fame.

Also, domestic abuse does not only happen in poor countries.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post

Also, domestic abuse does not only happen in poor countries.
    Fair point, but isn't there a chance of a woman at least running into the street for help in most countries, whereas under Taliban law she runs the risk of receiving another beating from the Taliban for leaving home unaccompanied.

Thanx prendrelemick too for your enlightening comment.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neilgee View Post
    Fair point, but isn't there a chance of a woman at least running into the street for help in most countries, whereas under Taliban law she runs the risk of receiving another beating from the Taliban for leaving home unaccompanied.
    The thing is that Hosseini seems more interested in creating "dramas" than actually trying to reflect true horrors of this particular regime. It is easy to say, "Bad, bad, bad Taliban" but do we know how women were treated before the Taliban in Afghanistan? These abusive men did not simply spring out of nowhere as soon as they came to power, did they?

Now that Taliban's gone, are the women better off in Afghanistan?

I don't want to derail this discussion but I think Hosseini should have not touched this issue if he had not intended to work on it with the utmost seriousness and care it requires.

Otherwise, it is simply making light of it, which is almost insulting to all the women who have been suffering similar fates.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast