Thread: Identifying Unknown Poem

Identifying Unknown Poem

While going through my great-great grandmother's Teacher's booklet I found this poem. I tried Googling it to no avail. The book, or ledger if you prefer, covers the years 1873 to 1878. Here is what it says:

---To back ahick: To back ahick

---when you are well twill make

---you sick; To back ahick:

---Toback ahick: Twill make

---you well when you are sick,

That is exactly how it's written in the ledger. It makes me think of Old Man Tucker.

Quote Originally Posted by TBob View Post
    While going through my great-great grandmother's Teacher's booklet I found this poem. I tried Googling it to no avail. The book, or ledger if you prefer, covers the years 1873 to 1878. Here is what it says:

---To back ahick: To back ahick

---when you are well twill make

---you sick; To back ahick:

---Toback ahick: Twill make

---you well when you are sick,

That is exactly how it's written in the ledger. It makes me think of Old Man Tucker.
    You had better start with introduction. Say a little about yourself, your interest, your domain or any other thing you think best and in point of fact sharing brings us closer and closer and then we will read whatsoever you may write and will respond too

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Quote Originally Posted by blazeofglory View Post
    You had better start with introduction. Say a little about yourself, your interest, your domain or any other thing you think best and in point of fact sharing brings us closer and closer and then we will read whatsoever you may write and will respond too
    --- My name is Terry. I am male, 44 years old, and my interest is old books. At my grandmother's farm I found an 1850's copy of A Compendium of American Literature by Charles Cleveland, an 1859 copy of The American Orator's Own Book, and a 5 3/4 x 3 5/8 booklet or ledger if you like, that belonged to my great-great grandmother who was a teacher. This "ledger" was empty when new so I imagine she bought it so she could write out her curriculum and lessons, among other things. I love going through these old books.
    --- And in amongst her lessons I found this poem that I did not recognize, nor could I find any information about it on Google. So I Googled "Identifying Poetry" and it lead me here.
    --- There are other poems like Ethel Wayne, and We'd Better Bid a Wee, and Alone, And From Home.
    --- Right now I am reading Washington's Farewell Address. It is quite interesting. I would love to have been there to hear him speak. He must have had quite a commanding presence.