Thread: Pride and Prejudice-I need MAJOR help fast

Exclamation Pride and Prejudice-I need MAJOR help fast

OKAY SO I NEED TO FINISH THIS REAL SOON SO I CAN GRADUATE, SO I REALLY NEED ANYONE'S HELP.. PLEASE !

2. gallantry:courtesy::
    a. suavity:manners
    b. please:thank you
    c. performance:taste
    d. gentility:roughness

3. rectitude:integrity::
    a. fairness:lenient
    b. right:wrong
    c. decency:uprightness
    d. probity:dishonor

4. pecuniary:monetary::
    a. fiscal:financial
    b. commercial:retail
    c. business:leisure
    d. greedy:unwary

5. racked:tormented::
    a. troubled:calmed
    b. soothed:eased
    c. lightened:weighted
    d. distressed:secure

11. __ fitzwilliam darcy
    12. __ george wickham
    13. __ elizabeth bennet
    14. __ jane bennet
    15. __ charlotte lucas collins
    16. __ lydia bennet
    17. __ charles bingley
    18. __ mrs. bennet
    19. __ lady catherine
    20. __ mrs gardiner

a. "amiable, intelligent, elegant"
    b. "fine, tall person, handsome features, noble man"
    c. "women of mean understanding litlle information, and uncertain temper"
    d. "good looking and gentlemanlike" with "a pleasant countenance, and easy, unaffected manners"
    e. "the most beautiful creature"
    f. "a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman"
    g. "sensible, intelligent" "without having ever been handsome"
    h. "had all the best parts of besuty, a fine countenance, a good figure, and very pleasing address"
    i. "a tall large women, with strongly-marked features, which might once have been handsome"
    j. "stout, well-grown . . . with a fine complexion and good-humoured countenance" and "high animal spirits"

24. georgiana darcy is a minor character whose principal function is as a foil a (a) elizabeth (b) charlotte (c) lydia

25. lady catherine embarrasses darcy by (a) praising him (b) saying elizabeth can practice on the pianoforte in the servants room (c) insulting elizabeths family

26. elizabeth thinks that darcy meets her on her walks around hunsford (a) by accident (b) because he likes her (c) because it is his favorite place to walk

27. as darcy is making his first proposal, elizabeth sees that he expects her to (a)refuse (b) accept (c) cry

28. lydia seldom listened to anyone (a)for as long as they were talking (b) at all (c) for half a minute

29. when elizabeth asks her father to refuse to let lydia go to brighton, his irresponsible reply is that (a) lydia can expose herself there without inconvenience to the family (b) lydia will be well-behaved (c) he will lock lydia up

30. before her engagement to darcy is announced, elizabeth fears that her family will (a) refuse to let her marry (b) be unhappy because they dislike darcy (c) forgot jane and bingley

32. In chapter 6, elizabeth and charlotte discuss the consequences of janes not showing her feelings. how does this foreshadow actions later in the novel?

33. after lydia interrupts collin's reading of Fordyce's sermons, collins says he "should never resent her behavior as any affront"
    a. compare this to what he writes after lydia elopes (ch.48)
    b. according to the letter collins writes, after lydia is married, how does he believe her father should treat her? (ch.57)

35. a. choose one of the following characters and briefly describe his/her personality: elizabeth, darcy, lydia, collins, mrs bennet
    b. give on example of how this character's speech reflects his/her personality

38. give two functions of the secondary character colonel fitzwilliam.

i know this is a lot, but i would greatly appreciate any help.
    thank youu! <3

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    42. It's got to be 42.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Hey all! I know how hard these things are to do, so I'm here to help out! I got most of my answers online, so I figure an eye for an eye..

These answers have been checked! This is coming from the graded exam, sent back to me after it was graded. I got a 90.

1. ODIOUS:FAVORABLE::
    D. detestableleasing

2. GALLANTRY:COURTESY::
    A. suavity:manners

3. RECTITUDE:INTEGRITY::
    C. decency:uprightness

4. PECUNIARY:MONETARY::
    A. fiscal:financial

5. RACKED:TORMENTED::
    B. soothed:eased

6. The SUPPLICATION of the telethon's host touched her so much that she sent a generous check.

7. The INTREPIDITY of the heroes facing danger in the old silent movie was exaggerated beyond belief.

8. Because of his INDOLENT nature, Buck was often compared to a sloth.

9. The very upright Kent looked on cheating with great DISAPPROBATION.

10. Although hew as very nervous at first, Paula's CORDIALITY helped Louis relax during his interview.

11. B - Fitzwilliam Darcy ("fine, tall person, handsome features, noble mien")

12. H - George Wickham ("had all the best parts of beauty, a fine countenance, a good figure, and very pleasing address")

13. F - Elizabeth Bennet ("a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman")

14. E - Jane Bennet ("the most beautiful creature")

15. G - Charlotte Lucas Collins ("sensible, intelligent" "without having ever been handsome")

16. J - Lydia Bennet ("stout, well-grown... with a fine complexion and good-humoured countenance" and "high animal spirits")

17. D - Charles Bingley ("good looking an gentlemanlike" with "a pleasant countenance, and easy, unaffected manners")

18. C - Mrs. Bennet ("woman of mean understanding, little information, and uncertain temper")

19. I - Lady Catherine ("a tall large woman, with strongly marked features, which might once have been handsome")

20. A - Mrs. Gardiner ("amiable, intelligent, elegant")

21. The Bingley's wealth was acquired through (B) TRADE

22. After Darcy and Wickham "changed colour" when they first see each other in Meryton, Elizabeth (A) IS CURIOUS ABOUT THEIR BEHAVIOR

23. While Elizabeth attends the theater with the Gardiners, her aunt wonders if Wickham's attentions to Miss King, who has just inherited £10,000, means that he is (A) MERCENARY

24. Georgiana Darcy is a minor character whose principal function is as a foil to (C) LYDIA

25. Lady Catherine embarrasses Darcy by (B) SAYING ELIZABETH CAN PRACTICE ON THE PIANO FORTE IN THE SERVANT'S ROOM

26. Elizabeth thinks that Darcy meets her on her walks around Hunsford (A) BY ACCIDENT

27. As Darcy is making his first proposal, Elizabeth sees that he expects her to (B) ACCEPT

28. Lydia seldom listened to anyone (C) FOR HALF A MINUTE

29. When Elizabeth asks her father to refuse to let Lydia go to Brighton, his irresponsible reply is that (A) LLYDIA CAN EXPOSE HERSELF THERE WITHOUT INCONVENIENCE TO THE FAMILY

30. Before her engagement to Darcy is announced, Elizabeth fears that her family will (B) BE UNHAPPY BECAUSE THEY DISLIKE DARCY

31. In chapter 4, Elizabeth says Jane is "honestly blind to the follies and nonsense of others." Explain the irony of this statement in light of Elizabeth's view of Darcy and Wickham at the beginning of the novel.
    IN ELIZABETH'S FIRST MEETINGS OF DARCY AND WICKHAM, SHE SWOONS OVER WICKHAM AND SEVERELY DISLIKES DARCY - BOTH FOR THE FIRST IMPRESSIONS SHE HAS OF EACH MAN. THROUGH IN THIS STATEMENT, SHE TELLS JANE THAT SHE DOESN'T SEE PEOPLE FOR WHO THEY TRULY ARE - THE IRONY BEING THAT ELIZABETH HERSELF DOESN'T SEE WICKHAM AS A CHEAT OR DARCY AS SHY - THEREFORE IT IS ELZABETH INSTEAD WHO IS "HONESTLY BLIND TO THE FOLLIES AND NONSENSE OF OTHERS."

32. In chapter 6, Elizabeth and Charlotte discuss the consequences of Jane's not showing her feelings. How does this foreshadow actions later in the novel?
    CHARLOTTE FEARS THAT IF BINGLEY DOES NOT REALIZE JANE'S FEELINGS FOR HIM, HE WON'T PURSUE THE RELATIONSHIP. THIS FORESHADOWS DARCY'S SEPARATION OF BINGLEY AND JANE FOR THE LACK OF EMOTION JANE SHOWS.

33. After Lydia interrupts Collins' reading of Fordyce's Sermons, Collins says he "should never resent her behavior as anny affront" (chapter 14).
    A. Compare this to what he writes after Lydia elopes (chapter 48).
    HE WRITES THAT "HER DEATH WOULD HAVE BEEN A BLESSING IN COMPARISON" BECAUSE OF THE SENSELESS CIRCUMSTANCES OF HER ELOPEMENT. THIS IS A VAST DIFFERENCE FROM HIM SAYING THAT LYDIA COULD, BASICALLY, DO NOTHING WRONG.
    B. According to the letter Collins writes after Lydia is married, how does he believe her father should treat her? (chapter 57)
    COLLINS BELIEVES MR. BENNET SHOULD FORGIVE THEM RELIGIOUSLY, BUT BASICALLY DISOWN THEM: "NEVER ADMIT THEM IN YOUR SIGHT OR ALLOW THEIR NAMES TO BE MENTIONED IN THEIR HEARING"

34. In what way are the characters Mrs. Bennet and Lady Catherine alike? Give an example of how they act similarly.
    SORRY ALL.. THIS IS THE ONE I GOT WRONG.

35. A. Choose one of the following characters and briefly describe his/her personality: Elizabeth, Darcy, Lydia, Collins, Mrs. Bennet

DARCY IS A VERY PROUD CHARACTER. THOUGH IN THE END OF THE NOVEL WE DISCOVER THAT HE IS PROUD BECAUSE HE HAS A HARD TIME SOCIALIZING, WE KNOW HIM TO BE A VERY UNPLEASANT, CONCEITED AND INTELLIGENT MAN.

B. Give an example of how this character's speech reflects his/her personality.
    DARCY THINKS BEFORE HE SPEAKS, AND RARELY SPEAKS AT THAT. HIS SPEECH, HOWEVER, DOES PORTRAY THAT HE IS A DEEP CHARACTER. HE KNOWS HE IS PROUD AND OWNS UP TO HIS INTOLERANCE AND TEMPER: "MY TEMPER I DARE NOT VOUCH FOR... I CANNOT FORGET THE FOLLIES AND VICES OF OTHERS SO SOON AS I OUGHT, NOR THEIR OFFENSES AGAINST MYSELF."

36. In the course of the novel, Elizabeth receives proposals of marriage from both Collins and Darcy.
    A. How does each proposal reflect the pride of the man proposing?
    COLLINS IS VERY FULL OF HIMSELF - HOLDS HIMSELF IN VERY HIGH REGARD. WHILE PROPOSING TO ELIZABETH, HE NEVER CONSIDERS THAT SHE MIGHT REFUSE, AND REFUSES TO BELIVE IT WHEN SHE DOES. DARCY FIRST PROPOSES BY TELLING ELIZABETH THAT SHE HAS A LOW SOCIAL STATUS AND WOULD BE A BAD MATCH FOR HIM. THIS OBVIOUSLY PORTRAYS DARCYS INABILITY TO PUT HIS PRIDE ASIDE, UNTEL THE SECOND TIME HE PROPOSES, THAT IS.
    B. Give one example of how these proposals show differences in the personalities of the two characters.
    COLLINS CLEARLY DOESN'T LOVE ELIZABETH, AND IS ONLY PROPOSING TO HAVE A WIFE, OR TO PLEASE LADY CATHERINE. THIS SHOWS THAT COLLINS IS NOT A VERY DEEP CHARACTER - INSTEAD, IS RATHER SHALLOW. DARCY, ON THE OTHER HAND, LEARNS TO PUT HIS PRIDE ASIDE WHEN HE CAN OPEN UP AND LOVE ELIZABETH. THIS SHOWS THAT DARCY IS A DEEP CHARACTER AS HIS UNPLEASANT ATTITUDE HAS A BACKGROUND.

37. At Mrs. Philips' card part, Wickham tells Elizabeth that he "can never defy or expose" Darcy, even though he had just been criticizing him severly.
    A. When Elizabeth first mentions Wickham to Darcy while they are dancing, how does Darcy respond?
    DARCY RESPONDS NEGATIVELY - HE GETS UNCOMFORTABLE AT THE MENTION OF WICKHAM. HE BELITTLES WICKHAM SLIGHTLY BY MENTIONING THAT HE IS GOOD AT MAKING FRIENDS BUT NOT SO MUCH AT KEEPING FRIENDS. "DARCY MADE NO ANSWER AND SEEMED DESIROUS OF CHANGING THE SUBJECT."

B. How does his behavior compare to Wickham's?
    WICKHAM BEHAVES VERY DIFFERENT THAN DARCY AT THE MENTION OF EACH OTHER. RATHER THAN BECOMING UNCOMFORTABLE, WICKHAM INSTEAD IS OUTGOING AND IS OPEN TO TALK TO ELIZABETH ABOUT THERI PAST - THIS MAKES HIM MANIPULATIVE AS WELL, HOWEVER.

38. Give two functions of the secondary character Colonel Fitzwilliam.
    COLONEL FITZWILLIAM SERVES AS A SOURCE OF INFORMATION THAT ELIZABETH WOULD NOT OTHERWISE HAVE. HE TELLS ELIZABETH OF DARCY'S BETRAYAL OF JANE, ABOUT DARCY'S TALKING TO BINGLEY TO STAY OUT OF TOWN, AND OF DARCY'S PERSUASION OF BINGLY ABOUT HIS OPINION OF THE BENNET FAMILY. IN THIS, HE IS ALSO THE STIMULATION FOR CONFLICT BETWEEN DARCY AND ELIZABETH.

39. The original title of Pride and Prejudice was First Impressions. Explain how the actions of Darcy and Wickham led Elizabeth to her false first impressions of them.
    DARCY WAS "PROUD" AND UNPLEASANT AT THE FIRST BALL - WHERE ELIZABETH FIRST MET DARCY. THOUGH DARCY CONTINUED TO BE UNPLEASANT THROUGHOUT THE REST OF THE NOVEL, ELIZABETH REALIZES THAT THIS PREJUDICE IS FALSE, AS DARCY ONLY PUTS ON AN UNPLEASANT FACE.
    WICKHAM WAS CHARMING AND ATTRACTIVE AND OPEN AT HIS FIRST MEETING WITH ELIZABETH, MANIPULATING HER TO BELIEVE DARCY IS AN EVEN WORSE MAN SHE IMAGINED, AND BELIEVING WICKHAM TO BE A VICTIM, RATHER THAN A CHEAT.

I really hope this helps everyone!
    And for anyone who has any other opinion about me posting this, bummer! You all try doing this class without a teacher!