Thread: Short story about statues?

Short story about statues?

I remember reading a story about a man who is going mad and believes statues are flying over his bed at night. I think it's Guy de Maupassant, but it could be somebody like Zola or even Kafka. Does this sound familiar?

Executioner, protect me Kyriakos's Avatar
    Last Circle
    There is one story by Kafka with a living statue, but it doesnt appear above his bed. It starts forming as a hallucination. The story is found in his diaries, and i don't think it is titled.

Now i am very fond of De Maupassant, and would LOVE to read the story you mention, if it is by him. Perhaps one of his last stories, when he was locked in a mental asylum, could have been like this.

As for Zola, i have only read a part of Nana, and don't know about the rest of his work...

Northern New Jersey

Statues, a short story or play

I read this in college, I believe in a drama class. I think it's in the absurdist school and originally thought it was by Genet. I cannot find it, and neither can my English professor friend who attended the same university.

I now think it could be Kafka, and a short story, but I haven't been able to find a thing. The story is, the man is mad and he sees statutes flying around his bedroom, which he never leaves. But the true story is between his young and pretty wife and her father. The father is shocked to find out his daughter is staying with her crazy husband for the sex.

If anyone knows the author I'd be obliged. I'm very sure it's not de Maupaussant.

In the story I remember, a woman is in love with a man who is losing his mind. He sees and hears menacing statues. The woman, unable to help him, tries to experience what he does, thus risking her own sanity. I don't remember the author, but I'm thinking maybe someone like Joyce Carol Oates. Has anyone else solved this yet?

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Beyond nowhere
    "The Sandman" by E. T. A. Hoffmann
    I donīt know if the story is the same but the motives are similar. Instead of flying statues you have the mechanical doll, Olimpia.
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians