Thread: Trolling

Trolling

I suggest that LitNet commence a policy of banning trolling.

Trolling is generally not allowed in good discussion forums, for several reasons, chief among which are:

1. It is anti-social.
    2. It inevitably leads to unpleasantness - something which LitNet is known for not having.

Trolling is the practice of starting provocative threads and posting the same meaningless drivel in response to questions and attempts at discussion.

This differs from a standard disagreement of opinion because in the case of a disagreement, there are two sides, while in trolling, there will be one poster with an absurd or stupid premise that everyone else recognises as barkingly mad.

A tiny amount of judgement might be needed, but I trust the mods here to tell the difference!
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    Trolling is the practice of starting provocative threads and posting the same meaningless drivel in response to questions and attempts at discussion.
    Wouldn't this wipe out have the threads here?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Haha, well a troll would generally have the intention of just aggravating others. If you have a stupid idea and don't defend it well, you're not necessarily a troll unless you are doing it intentionally.

Unless I'm mistaken we all have one particular member in mind when we think about trolling lol.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

biting writer
    As far as I know, I have never started a thread simply to provoke another poster; that is trolling, and should provide food for thought.

I do argue hard; it is part of my trademark as a writer, and I concede every so often I take something personally or emotionally, but this community has enough rules and moderating already without asking either Admin or those moderators to weed out trolls.

I have read, and been in electronic animal houses much much less civil. Not that I know if they haven't been scrubbed up since.

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I haven't really seen much in the way of trolling around here, either because we're so out of the way or because we pose no real interest to trolls.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    Trolling is more than just that. It involves heavy spamming, heavy cussing. Trolls will delibrately cause argument on any and all topics. And they won't stick to their own threads they will rip apart others.

As far as LitNet goes its practically Troll free. Most Trolls now-a-days like to stick to live feed chat rooms in order to ruin peoples chatting experience. This happens on sites I visit all the time. Pro Trolls get accepted on the basis, they'll knock back other trolls.

Trolling is a sophisticated art of a very bored person. Theres trolls worth having and trolls not....

I have too much knowledge of trolls.... But I've yet to really see any here
    Nil Volvpti, Sine Lvcre

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know who you in particular have in mind, but I'm not sure we need to take drastic measures, you know?

Most troll threads are ignored: only a very few spiral into a massive, lunatic debate. And as for being insulted, well, I think I can take it!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Our Forum does have active and stricly applied anti-trolling rules.

However, I would also like to remind everyone that just the fact that we do not agree with someone's way of thinking or that someone defends their ideas (however different those might be from ours) does not make them trolls.

I hope this settles this question.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~