Thread: Driving me batty!!!

Driving me batty!!!

Hello All,

I am brand new here and hoping that someone here can help me! I am looking for two short stories (at least I think they're short stories...) that I remember reading in highschool and now can't seem to find. I don't even know the authors or titles, but here are some general overviews of the plots:

1) A woman who has recently been widowed is living in a farm house, which she describes in beautiful but lonely detail. At the end of the story, she retreats to her bed room where she has apparently been keeping the corpse of her recently deceased husband. As I remember it, she lays down next to him in the bed.

2) This story (again, as I recall, which may not be very accurate by now) was about a woman who lives in a home with a room with three walls being very large televisions. She is upset with her husband because they only have "three walls" and therefore aren't truly getting "the entire experience." Somehow, the husband grudgingly gets the fourth wall installed and the first show she watches is of a pack of lions hunting, upon closer inspection, (as the walls allowed the viewer a true 3-D / interactive experience) she is attacked and killed by the lions.

Sigh, if anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it! Thanks for your help again!!

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    The second one reminds of a Ray Bradburry story I read some time ago but in that one there were children involved as well, I think.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    The second one reminds of a Ray Bradburry story I read some time ago but in that one there were children involved as well, I think.
    Was it "The Veldt"? That story involves technology sort of like the TV panels that were described, and lions in the end.
    Oh, Time, Strength, Cash, and Patience!

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrillo View Post
    Was it "The Veldt"? That story involves technology sort of like the TV panels that were described, and lions in the end.
    Oh, I don't think I will ever remember the title without looking it up but, after mulling it over, I think in that story there were children who got their parents eaten by the lions (because they wanted to take their TV away?).
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    Oh, I don't think I will ever remember the title without looking it up but, after mulling it over, I think in that story there were children who got their parents eaten by the lions (because they wanted to take their TV away?).
    That's pretty much exactly what the story is about.
    Oh, Time, Strength, Cash, and Patience!

The first one is A Rose for Miss Emily. Can't remember the author off hand.
    He prayed best, who loveth best
    All things both great and small;
    For the dear God who loveth us,
    He made and loveth all.

~Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Blog Entries
    I am almost positive that the second one was by Ray Bradbury, because he describes the television in his Farenheit 451 as "walls", and I think that particular story was in one of his collected works that I read a few years ago... can't remember the title though.
    Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders. ~Jewish Proverb

You're wonderful!

You are all WONDERFUL! WOW!! Yes, the stories were exactly what you said:
    The Veldt by Ray Bradbury and A Rose for Emily by Faulkner!!!

Seriously, I am SOOO happy! That has been driving me crazy for about 10 years and I was beginning to think I made them both up or dreamt them! Thanks again all who responded!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlInterrupted View Post
    Hello All,

I am brand new here and hoping that someone here can help me! I am looking for two short stories (at least I think they're short stories...) that I remember reading in highschool and now can't seem to find. I don't even know the authors or titles, but here are some general overviews of the plots:

1) A woman who has recently been widowed is living in a farm house, which she describes in beautiful but lonely detail. At the end of the story, she retreats to her bed room where she has apparently been keeping the corpse of her recently deceased husband. As I remember it, she lays down next to him in the bed.

2) This story (again, as I recall, which may not be very accurate by now) was about a woman who lives in a home with a room with three walls being very large televisions. She is upset with her husband because they only have "three walls" and therefore aren't truly getting "the entire experience." Somehow, the husband grudgingly gets the fourth wall installed and the first show she watches is of a pack of lions hunting, upon closer inspection, (as the walls allowed the viewer a true 3-D / interactive experience) she is attacked and killed by the lions.

Sigh, if anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it! Thanks for your help again!!
    2nd sounds like farenheit 451

Individualistic Dreamer mystery_spell's Avatar
    The first one is "A Rose for Miss Emily" by William Faulkner.

I have no idea about the second one, sorry.
    This is just the beginning.