Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Culture and Caveat

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Culture and Caveat

The world is made up of many diverse cultures and it would be fun to find out more about yours. Each country offers something unique, pray tell, things that perhaps even travel agents don’t know. To make it more interesting you can include what your town/city has that is special. Be it the arts, sports, theatre, music, whatever… it will be fun to learn more. Tell a juicy tale. Maybe you’ve lived in other countries/towns/cities and there are things you’d like to share there.

And then to make it more fun… give us your worst at the same time, shock us if you can.! Don’t be shy now. Spill. lol

Enough from me now, but I will be back for sure.

For all the worlds children.
    Last edited by dizzydoll; 04-12-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Okay I will start but I hope you add your piece too. Its fun to discover peoples perspective of things.

Here goes: South Africa has the best rugby and cricket teams in the whole wide world. lol.

The hottest months in Durban are Jan, Feb, and Mar. Thank God we've just got over that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzydoll View Post
    Here goes: South Africa has the best rugby and cricket teams in the whole wide world. lol.
    Oh Dear! I think the All Blacks would be in disagreement with that one!

Dublin: Has some amazing stretches of beaches and coastline that the average tourist doesnt even realise is there!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    Kitzingen, the ugliest town you can possibly think of.

There used to be beautiful old trees alongside the river, but they cut them off, most of them. The riverside is teeming with machinery, the ducks have taken flight, and it's very noisy from dawn until well after sunset.

There is no cinema, no theatre, and no library or bookstore worth mentioning.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
    To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits
    in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.”

Helen Keller

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The United Kingdom has an incredible amount of history and culture crammed into a very small geographic area. The scenery is wonderful and varied as well.

As I flit between the two places, I'll go with both towns:

Llandudno - has the world's oldest copper mine, the wonderful scenery of the Great Orme's Head, and far too many hotels. Oh, and goats. Lots and lots of goats.

Durham - is a teeny-tiny village with a whacking great Anglo-Norman Cathedral and top-notch university, as well as beautiful scenery.

"I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulim View Post
    Kitzingen, the ugliest town you can possibly think of.

There used to be beautiful old trees alongside the river, but they cut them off, most of them. The riverside is teeming with machinery, the ducks have taken flight, and it's very noisy from dawn until well after sunset.

There is no cinema, no theatre, and no library or bookstore worth mentioning.
    Shame that is sad, you should plant some flowers along the roadside to brighten it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post

Dublin: Has some amazing stretches of beaches and coastline that the average tourist doesnt even realise is there!
    Well there are many who would debate that lol

My mother is Irish but I've not been there.

Your pictures are beautiful Lok

Tell us more, tell us more.

Blog Entries
    I remember studying about that mine in Archaeology in College. Thats the part of Wales you are from Lok?
    I only discovered recently that the Ll is pronounced cl! Was quite funny in Cardiff Central Station asking for a ticket to Llanelli! She was saying "Clanecli?"
    i was like "no lanelli."
    "Just after swansea?"
    "Yes" "Thats Clanecli."
    "You Serious?"
    "The double L is pronounced Cl."
    "Oh!"Cue blushing red face. Oops.
    Last edited by Niamh; 04-12-2010 at 07:21 AM.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"

Ok, so I'm a Belgian.

Belgium is mostly known for its cities like Ghent and Bruges, and that's probably where it stops in terms of places. Horrible counry. I don't think there is any place in that country where you can stand, look at the horizon and not see a house or a tarmacked road. Brussels is a dump left over from the 60s and 70s with still a few nice places fortunately like the Grand' Place, but other than that there is not much left. Apart from maybe horribly pompous buildings from the first half of the 19th century when Belgium became independent. Shame.

And on top of that the language groups keep on arguing and are slowly tearing the country apart.

Now, I live in Germany, the border between Rheinland-Pfalz and Saarland. A-ma-zing. One can cylce here without even seeing a car, one can look at the horizon and not see a house, one can walk and hear the birds, one can enjoy the scenery. Building in this country has not got out of hand so there are actually villages with empty roads (not built next to it) between them! And, cities where possible (because they were bombed by the allied) have been kept as they were or at least almost (allowing for some ridculous building in the 60s and 70s). Efficiency, friendliness, customer service! It is new to me.

edit

By the way, Niamh, shouldn't one aspire (?) the 'c' in one's cheeks as if one had a speech deficiency (sorry Welsh people)? Or am I confused? I want to be able to read those things at least...
    Last edited by kiki1982; 04-12-2010 at 07:41 AM.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Don't worry - most people struggle with Welsh! The double 'L' is indeed pronounced as a forceful 'cl'. 'U' is also pronouced as 'I' - which means that my town of Llandudno is pronounced as 'clandidno'.

And, of course, about a half-hour's drive from me you have the lovely village of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch - try pronouncing that, if you dare! It would be spoken something like this:

"Clan-vire-pooll-guin-gill-go-ger-u-chwurn-drob-ooll-clandus-ilio-gogo-goch"
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post

Please could you post a few pictures for me to see! I'd like to imagine...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzydoll View Post
    Please could you post a few pictures for me to see! I'd like to imagine...

This is part of the beach on Bull Island, which stretches from Clontarf to sutton on the north city coastline. Its also a nature reserve and located near a park called St Annes, the ancestral home of the Guinness family.

If you have ever seen the movie Once, its featured in it when they are playing frisbee.
    W.B.Yeats

Niamh - you came to Llanelli and you didn't mention it!!! We could have had a coffee or something....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That looks really beautiful and peaceful Niamh. And so much empty space its fabulous. I love watching cloud formations, it must look quite a treat when the sun plays coloured tricks with the clouds there.

Of course we own the sun and loan it to you guys for a bit each year. lol.

Haha, Lokasenna.

That village is my hubby's party joke. We did it with Polish people once! Hilarious.

Is that village a nice place, though?
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Blog Entries
    Hmm, well I live in Quebec.

The place is pretty much an amalgam of French culture heavily influenced by British and American culture.

Here are some pictures I guess

The Chateau Frontenac in Quebec city:

Interesting factoid, Quebec city is the only remaining walled city in the Americas.

My old alma mater McGill:

And the Montreal skyline:

"If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast