Thread: A Road Twice Travelled

A Road Twice Travelled

A very terribly long time ago, back when I was still a child I found myself walking down a lonesome country road. I don't remember where the road started or where it ended; all I remember is walking. This road was not a fancy paved road, nor a hard-packed gravel road. It was just a dusty old dirt trail, barely wide enough for a car.
    I don't know how long I walked; time travels differently when you are a child. But, it must have been at least several hours before I came upon a man, walking determinately, if a bit slowly, down the road. The man was moving so slowly that it did not take me long to catch him up and as I got closer I noticed the man's appearance. He was old, at the time I guessed him to be about two hundred or so, but I'll chalk this judgement off to youth as well. He was thin, bordering on skeletal and his sunburnt skin stretched over his bones like dry leather. He had almost no hair, save a few stray strands still clinging to random patches of his scalp. His face was weary with fatigue but his eyes showed a determined spark of defiance that matched his even gate.
    I walked beside the man, staring at him for a few minutes before he asked, "Can I help you sonny?"
    Startled, I tripped over my own feet and landed in a heap. The man continued at his steady pace and I rushed to catch up to him. "Excuse me sir," I asked, "but where does this road lead?"
    "That, my boy," said the old man, "Is a question that has haunted me for many long years. And, now that I am old and grey, I mean to answer that, long pondered, question." As he finished this sentence, the man turned and looked at me for the first time. "You are too young to walk this road. You should go home, boy."
    I turned and looked at the expanse of road behind us, and it dawned on me for the first time that I didn't know where I had started on this road from. I had no idea how to get home, and for the first time, I was scared.
    "You won't find it back that way," said the man, seeming to read my thoughts. "You need to go that way."
    I looked at the man to see him pointing to my left. I turned and saw a road splitting off from the main road. It didn't seem to lead anywhere; it just stretched on over the horizon just like the one we were on now. "Are you sure?" I asked.
    "I am," replied the man and he started again in his steady gate down the dusty road. I looked down the small side road for a moment and then turned to ask the man how far my home was. When I turned to find him, though, there was nobody to be seen.
    Unsure of what to do, I decided to follow the old man's advise and headed down the side road. After a time that I cannot recall, I came home. I can't tell you how far I walked, or how the dusty road changed to my tiny driveway but eventually I walked up my steps and into my front door.
    I never found that old road again, though I looked and looked. I still think about it, though, from time to time. I wonder if the old man ever found out what was at its end. The curiosity burns in me a little more each time I think about it. I wonder if, someday, a very terribly long time from now, when I'm old and grey, will I find that road again? And, if I find that road, will I ever reach the end?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The angel of destiny guides along many paths. Good tale.

Blog Entries
    I really really liked it. The description was quite awsum. (second para specially)
    It had a creepy air about it. Good job.
    People laugh at me 'coz they think I'm a fool...I smile because I made someone laugh
    Nikhar Agrawal