Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the differences between 1996 movie Romeo+Juliet and Shakespeare's play?

Smile What are the differences between 1996 movie Romeo+Juliet and Shakespeare's play?

Would anyone help me with finding differences between the movie "Romeo+Juliet" -1996 and original play? I've got to do it for my English class and I read the play a long time ago so I don' remember much of it - all faded out with time...Would anyone get my out of trouble? (I really suck at Shakespeare's plays as well as poetry)...

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by katejuliette View Post
    ... I read the play a long time ago so I don' remember much of it - all faded out with time...Would anyone get my out of trouble? (I really suck at Shakespeare's plays as well as poetry)...
    Read the play again, watch the film. Do your own work and your own thinking.

Someone must have posted this place as a site to go to get other people to do one's homework.

pathetic............
    The answers you get from literature depend upon the questions you pose.
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    Are we talking about the DiCaprio one? You don't really need to be good at Shakespeare to spot the differences... just the ability to like tell the difference between guns and swords... the changes aren't exactly subtle.

Shakespeare didn't set his play in the 1990's. That's one difference.

Blog Entries
    It honestly doesn't take too long to read Shakespeare's play. If you have trouble with the language, read sparknotes as well to better understand what's going on.
    Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders. ~Jewish Proverb

Shakespeare didn't intend to cover a variety of DVD extra bonus material, including interviews of the cast and crew, special behind the scenes footage - as well as audio commentary by the director and producer. Neither did he intend a 45 documentary on set design, a photo gallery or even a teaser trailer.
    Last edited by LitNetIsGreat; 03-21-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Would anyone help me with finding differences between the movie "Romeo+Juliet" -1996 and original play? I've got to do it for my English class and I read the play a long time ago so I don' remember much of it - all faded out with time...Would anyone get my out of trouble? (I really suck at Shakespeare's plays as well as poetry)...
    I would think it cannot have been that long since the class read the play as the assignment seems to be a current one. Unless maybe you didn't do it at the time and now it is a make up assignment? Also, I would imagine that if the class watched the film together (and I'd assume that because of the assignment) the class also discussed some of the differences between the film and the play.

You haven't paid attention in class, you are probably doing a long overdue makeup assignment, you want someone else to do your work for you. Pity.
    - Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Shakespeare didn't intent to cover a variety of DVD extra bonus material, including interviews of the cast and crew, special behind the scenes footage - as well as audio commentary by the director and producer. Neither did he intend a 45 documentary on set design, a photo gallery or even a teaser trailer.

He did pen a hell of a soundtack though, no?
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Shakespeare didn't intent to cover a variety of DVD extra bonus material, including interviews of the cast and crew, special behind the scenes footage - as well as audio commentary by the director and producer. Neither did he intend a 45 documentary on set design, a photo gallery or even a teaser trailer.
    I went through all that support material for Brannagh's "Magic flute" recently and it was all pretty useless. What *would* be useful is a printed libretto (even though it's in English) so you can understand what the diction-less support singers are singing... in general, such support material could be really useful if they put some thought into it... All those millions to spend, where *does* it all go...

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Would anyone help me with finding differences between the movie "Romeo+Juliet" -1996 and original play?

One sucks... the other doesn't.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Hooboy, now there's a classic movie. We had to watch it in eighth grade, I think. The two things I remember:
    1) DiCaprio overacting these lines: "Then plainly know my hearts dear love is set / On the fair daughter of rich Capulet."
    2) Mercutio was a black guy.

Do your own homework.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hey, katejuliette, did you come back to see if anyone answered your post?
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Quote Originally Posted by Abras View Post
    Hooboy, now there's a classic movie. We had to watch it in eighth grade, I think. The two things I remember:

2) Mercutio was a black guy.
    And a transvestite

Isn't this question just all too obvious? Of course, you'd have to be familiar with the play to know that.....oh, duh.....
    - Margaret Atwood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast