Thread: Looking for Critique Partner

Looking for Critique Partner

I'm looking for a critique partner for short stories.

I don't feel comfortable posting my stories on the internet, I'd rather share them with only one or two people through email.. I would critique your stories in return.

Since I'm only 18 and not very experienced as a writer, I'm looking for someone who is about on the same level, not a professional writer (otherwise I wouldn't be of use critiquing their stories).

So here are some things about me and my writing:

I'm writing my first two short stories at the moment. One is a first draft and the other one is just a beginning of what seems to me a promising idea. I have written other texts earlier, but I don't like them.

I like stories that make you think or have some philosophical questions in them.

I enjoy reading various genres, mostly humor or just 'classic short story'. I'm also okay with romance once in a while. I have a great knowledge of science, especially biology, so I read science fiction too and would be well qualified to critique it. I like horror, but I think it's very hard to write a good horror story. I love stories about history or foreign cultures.

What really doesn't work for me are stories about 'the paranormal'. I'm not superstitious and these stories make me angry

I'm not religious either, but I am very fascinated by religion. I'd be willing to critique 'spiritual' writing too, especially since someday I'd like to write a love story between an atheist and a Christian.

What I expect for critiquing:

'Quick' replies: There will be long periods where I won't send anything, but when I actually do send work or comments -> in discussions, I'd like you to answer quickly. By quickly - I mean about two days on average or faster for shorter comments, or about two weeks on average for the first feedback for a short story (about 5000 words or less).

Honesty: If something is poorly written or doesn't make sense, tell me! Don't insult me, but tell me in a respectful manner, I will do the same.

Otherwise, just write down your thoughts about every aspect of the story, and, importantly, add suggestions for improvement (even new 'scenes') if you have any.

So..
    I'm actually not very optimistic that I will find someone, I'm aware that my request is rather specific. If anyone is willing to try it out please reply to this thread and introduce yourself (you can write much less than me). We could then exchange email addresses (I will create a spam one since I'm kinda paranoid when it comes to internet).

And please feel free to ask questions if anything is unclear. By the way, what I wrote aren't exactly 'rules', we can keep it informal and stuff, I just tried to best summarize what I'm looking for..

Edit: Of course a PM response works too.
    Last edited by Dodo25; 03-25-2010 at 02:38 PM.

hi. Im an inexperienced writer as well, and would be willing to critique. what i would be sending aren't short stories, but full length novels sent in chunks. One thing, by 'paranormal' do you mean fantasy/urban fantasy? cuz thats at least some of what I like to write, and i wouldn't want to make you mad. if you want I can send you an email. My emails the same as my username, so i shouldn't be that hard to identify.

hey,
    I'm glad someone replied. Chunks of a novel would work fine.

If the writer is aware that he/she is writing fantasy, then that's okay. I just don't like it when they make a book to advertize paranormal phenomena and state it's real..

Fantasy by itself is cool anyway, I used to read it a lot. Urban fantasy can be fun too. If it's going to be like twilight, I must say I don't really like vampires and I haven't read the books.. I'd like to know a bit more about your writing, I'll send you a PM.

I love reading all unpublished work, so I'd be willing as well. I just can go weeks without using the computer, so forgive me if I'm tardy wit a response occasionally.

hmm okay, you can PM me your email address and I will send you my first short story. But it might take a while, I need to add two important scenes, I'd like to send it completed (at least 'completed draft'), otherwise the point of the story is lost.

I've read your 'Just a Euphemism', it was thought-provoking. Religion plays an important role in my story as well.

Blog Entries
    Dear sir/ma'am,

I've read through your thread, and I think this is a fantastic idea, to have a small group of discussion/critique partners as you develop your writing, excellent!

I'd be more than happy to try it out, I've finished a not-so-short detective story that I'm not really sure about, and I didn't post it anywhere except my Facebook account. I was hoping it would turn thrilling, but I cannot really judge my own work. I'm working on a second one as of now, and trying to make it more horror-like than the first one, I hope I succeed =P

I'm not that experienced when it comes to writing stories myself, but I've been writing for awhile out of passion; I just love to write stuff, be it a story or a journal or a poem, I cannot stop myself when I start xD I read all kind of stuff, except things that have to do with politics and real-world events such as wars and all that stuff--I find it dull and not worth reading. Other than that, fantasy, horror, fiction, drama, supernatural, scifi, detective, mysterious are all very welcomed.
    When life gets hard... Laugh!

Dear Monamy,

This is great, I hope we can make this work. I'll send you my email address in a personal message. And I'll ask morgannew what she thinks of it as well, it would be very interesting if we were a group of three..
    Altough for that to work our interests should kind of overlap. Let's see what she says.

What you're doing looks very fascinating. I'm afraid I don't have enough time for so many stories though (I'm reading a lot already), and furthermore you seem to be a very experienced writer, I wouldn't feel able to contribute enough.

Hopefully someone else will pick up. This thread is for everyone anyway, I think critique partners can really boost one's writing.

Blog Entries
    experienced? lol not at all, my friend.

I might be fascinated with writing, but English isn't my main language, so I tend to fall in some embarrassing mistakes that a native speaker would otherwise easily avoid. I'm just like you, in a way, just looking for honest feedbacks.

I never shared the detective story I sent to you in LetNit, but I might in the near future, see what everyone thinks about it, but it sure won't be in among the Short Story threads, that's for sure
    When life gets hard... Laugh!

Oh my bad, my comment wasn't addressed to you. Someone else posted in this thread and then deleted the post for whatever reason; it had nothing to do with you. I'm still critiquing your story and I'll send you mine soon.

Hello, I'm interested, (if you still want someone to be included, I see you have lots of people already posted). I'm on my laptop everyday and would love to critique and have you critique some of mine. Thanks! Just post on here if you're interested.

I'm interested, and I think I have enough time to include one more person. Altough it might take a bit longer for me to respond in the beginning, for everyone is sending all their stories now.

You can send me a PM with your email address, and please tell me something more about you and your writing.