Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Haruki Murakami

Haruki Murakami

I just finished reading Norwegian Wood, and as I delve more deeply into his work, I'm only more impressed. He has a rare knack for making the fantastic seem real, and his metaphysical themes, deep characters, and inventive motifs draw me in each time.

Anyway, it's the seventh book of his I've read, and he's slowly become one of my favorite modern writers. What do you guys think of him and his work?

Blog Entries
    I have only read 'after the quake' and 'underground' and loved both of them. like you said he makes the unreal seem real, and not bizarre... I have to agree that he is slowly becoming at least one of my favourite contemporary writers
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    I agree... every book I read by him is absolutely excellent. I loved his "Kafka on the Shore".
    Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders. ~Jewish Proverb

Wow! that's awesome! I totally love his works, and for me he is the best modern author. I'm waiting when he gets the Noble Prize, because he really deserves it! I've read many of his books. The best one is "Sputnik Sweetheart" i think. They are simply magical! The author's connections pure realism with inexplicable phenomena make his works outstanding and unique.

Oh I'm really glad that The Bear Jew created this topic

Blog Entries
    Yes, he has such an imagination! Just his titles speak volumes:

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the end of the Universe
    The Wind-up Bird Chronicles
    Kafka on the Shore
    Sputnik Sweetheart
    A Wild Sheep Chase
    The Elephant Vanishes

I know they say to never judge a book by it's cover, but when I first saw his books I knew I was going to love them just by reading the titles!
    Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders. ~Jewish Proverb

I just discovered his work last October and have read the seven books that were available at my local library. Looks like I'll have to break out the wallet to read the rest. There really is something special about his writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy North View Post
    I know they say to never judge a book by it's cover, but when I first saw his books I knew I was going to love them just by reading the titles!
    frankly speaking you didn't judge the books by it's covers but you judged books by their titles, indeed... that's difference....better difference
    I have to admit that uncanny titles attract us to read, and "say" much about quality of a book

small god
    Read them all. Looking forward to English translation of his new one. Jay Rubin to translate. Loved Kafka, but my favourite would be Wild Sheep then Dance Dance Dance. Pretty cool when you considered when they were written. I live in Tokyo on and off and love recognising station names etc. After Dark a little disappointing though

I'm a fan, i think The Wind-up Bird Chron is his best work and has been on the decline since then a little.

Inspite once again encountering unanimous praise for this writer I have yet to read. Looking forward to it.

He's my favourite author. I own all his English-translated novels (including the two only released in Japan [yay for eBay!]), short story collection and non-fiction works. My favourite novel of his is After Dark which I doubt very many Murakami fans would have in their top three.

He's one of the critically acclaimed authors I'm interested in reading someday.

Just thought I'd mention that Paul Theroux's latest travel narrative, Ghost Train to the Eastern Star, includes a chapter on Tokyo where Theroux meets up with Murukami and they hang out. Theroux includes some very interesting biographical tidbits about Murukami. I was intrigued enough that I want to read Murukami now.

BTW, Theroux's book is xlnt, and the chapter on Tokyo in particular is brilliant.

He is absolutely one of my favorite authors, his writing style is captivating and the observations on life by the characters often have me reading aloud/wanting to read aloud but being on a train.

I can't say whether it's the offbeat plots or the weird and wonderful characters that draw me in, but it all fits together without feeling *too* insane, never contrived and always profound, emotional and personal.

Love it.

- Liam

P.S Just read the first story in "After the quake" called "UFO In Kushiro" and thought it was brilliant, what do people think?

murakami is great. he has the uncanny ability to put complex feelings into very simple words and transform the bizarre into something beatific. he's definitely one of my favorite authors of all time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast