Thread: The Gambler

The Gambler

I've just finished reading the gambler and I found it a litttle bit different than other dostoevsky novels that I read, the characters were very interesting but Dostoevsky's characters are always interesting but it was actually funny, I dont know if other people found it funny but it was, and it's less intense than his other novels. and it ended suddenly , when I finished reading the last sentence I flipped all the pages again because I didnt believe that it just ended maybe because I was expecting a tragedy I'm not sure, But overall it was a great short novel and I enjoyed it .I'd really want to know now what other people think of it.
    Last edited by samah; 03-25-2010 at 06:09 AM.
    My friend, I am not what I seem. Seeming is but a garment I wear—a care-woven garment that protects me from thy questionings and thee from my negligence.I would not have thee believe in what I say nor trust in what I do—for my words are naught but thy own thoughts in sound and my deeds thy own hopes in action.

Khalil Gibran

Wonder of wonders when, of all people, our Alexei Ivanovich runs off to Paris with the pragmatic siren, Mademoiselle Blanche De Cominges!
    "Love does not alter the beloved, it alters itself"

the doc just finished it this morning...as a gambler himself, he really enjoyed dostoevsky's descriptions of the vauxhall and the players...true insight, of course...roulette is not the doc's game, but he can understand how the folks could get hooked on it...guessing black or red, even or odd, which 12? probably a much bigger game back then...of course, the odds are the same every time and that's why it can come up red 10 times in a row and the next time it still has the same chance of coming up red...good insight there, too, on how some gamblers handled that...and you had just as good a chance w/o a pencil tracking the numbers as some of the other gamblers that did...

remember the statement about being bold? again, insight from a player...

just a great little story that he produced under pressure...

Quote Originally Posted by country doctor View Post
    remember the statement about being bold? again, insight from a player...
    And in the end, Blanche, his boldest gamble.
    "Love does not alter the beloved, it alters itself"

being bold doesn't guarantee success, but scared money never wins...
    -country doctor