Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novels set within Greek Mythology

Banned
    Blog Entries

Novels set within Greek Mythology

It seems like Greek mythology has been making a comeback in popular media lately: That Percy Jackson book/movie, Clash of the Titans remake, even God of War 3.

So, I was curious, are there any good novels/series out there dealing with Greek Mythology? To me, it is one of the best fantasy universes out there, and it seems like such a good potential for great stories. Now, I know all the classics like The Odyssey and The Iliad (both of which I read), but I'm curious about more modern works, let's say within the last 50 years. I know that Percy Jackson book has become popular, and I'm not adverse to reading young adult novels (especially as a future high school english teacher), but I don't want to read anything that is badly written . . . Harry Potter comparisons make me weary.

One of my favorite novels is called "Till We Have Faces", by C.S. Lewis.

Cool The best novels of the twentieth century are the two .....by

Robert Graves: I, Claudius and Caudius the God which were combined by Masterpiece Theatre into the production of I, Claudius which covers the reigns of Augbustus Caesar, Tiberius, Caligula, and Claudius. There is plenty of mthology ,,,, after all the Romans believed in the Gods of Olympus.... and
    lots of Roman history. The Roman Gods are the same as the Greek gods, just callled by different names. Graves wrote so much that you should Googe him to get a list of his works.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Cool, I'll check him out, and C.S. Lewis, an author I still need to read.

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mary Renault wrote several excellent novels dealing with Greek Myths; the most well known is The King Must Die
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Cool Mary Renault was not a clacissist .....

she graduated from the woman's college at Oxford whose name escapes me. She was born after the turn of the nineteenth century and died in the 1980s. Her first books were modern books which dealt with homosexuality. Mary Renault was herself a lesbian with a lifetime female partner. She emigrated to South Africa were she felt she would have more freedom to express her views on homosexuality. She wrote about Plato, Socrates, and Theseus plus Alexander the Great. The King Must Die is about Theseus. I am not criticizing her books, but you should be aware before you read her that classical scholars have roundly criticized her. One said of her, "Mary Renault has tried to make pederastry heroic."
    Last edited by dfloyd; 03-23-2010 at 11:06 PM.

It isn't strictly set inside the Greek mythology, but Murakami's Kafka on the Shore has the Oedipus tragedy as the basis of plot. Great read.

I recently read "La caverna de las ideas" (The Athenian Murders) by José Carlos Somoza. It's an enjoyable read, a good try to place a muder story with a lot of suspense in a ancient setting. There are several links with classic Greek myths, but also an interesting take on the daily life and habbits of Athenians at that time. Famous indivuduals, such as Plato, appear as characters of the story!
    ...As a moth mistakes a bulb
    for the moon, and goes to hell...

-Tom Waits-

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dfloyd View Post
    she graduated from the woman's college at Oxford whose name escapes me. She was born after the turn of the nineteenth century and died in the 1980s. Her first books were modern books which dealt with homosexuality. Mary Renault was herself a lesbian with a lifetime female partner. She emigrated to South Africa were she felt she would have more freedom to express her views on homosexuality. She wrote about Plato, Socrates, and Theseus plus Alexander the Great. The King Must Die is about Theseus. I am not criticizing her books, but you should be aware before you read her that classical scholars have roundly criticized her. One said of her, "Mary Renault has tried to make pederastry heroic."
    I rather enjoyed her novels; plus, the original poster stated that she was looking for novels set in Greek myth that were written in the last 50 years.

So, I agree I wouldn't call her work classical scholarship; they're fun novels set in classical times.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Are there any novels where the Gods themselves are characters? It seems like it could be very interesting.

There's loads of plays which are either influenced by or based on Greek mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    There's loads of plays which are either influenced by or based on Greek mythology.
    Mourning Becomes Electra, by Eugene O'Neil, for example.
    The answers you get from literature depend upon the questions you pose.
    - Margaret Atwood

Margaret Atwood: The Penelopiad - it's a re-telling of the return of Odysseus seen through the eyes of the faithful Penelope, at times very funny, at others biting.

Blog Entries
    The luck of Troy, by Roger Green is very much a young adult story set against the Trojan war.

Andrew Lang wrote many accounts of the Greek myths for the younger reader.

I'm told there's an article on this week's NewYorker about this, though I still haven't received it in the mail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast