Thread: The Idea of Heaven and Hell

The Idea of Heaven and Hell

Does the idea of heaven create the idea of hell or vice versa? In other words, which came first heaven or hell?

(note: it might be thought that this is more of a religious topic, but I want to discuss it in a more philosophical manner, rather than with the religious blinders on (so-to-speak).)
    "They're just thoughts, so go ahead and speak."

"We're just a collection of cells overrating
    themselves."

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hell probably came first because we probably had this idea: death totally sucks.

Then we had this idea: wait, maybe it doesn't suck; maybe it's, like, awesome.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

A Student
    In a religious sense, Heaven existed before Hell.

I'd argue the same. Morality and pre-Christianity eras would argue that good behavior in the physical life would constitute a luxurious one in the afterlife. In a crude sense, Heaven was formed. Hell became a subsequent threat to promote morality and ascend towards a better afterlife--heaven.

I'd say that they are coeval, especially if we are referring exclusively to the Christian ideas that the words used seem to imply.

Historically speaking, Christianity is a pretty rich tradition, and throughout the history of its dissemination it has adopted ideas about the afterlife from quite a few sources and cultivated them to serve the ends of it's theology/theogony. I would argue that most of the world's religions prior to Christianity regarded any sort of paradisiacal afterlife as a pretty exclusive locale, and some form of divinely-directed atonement a near certainty.

If you look at early Jewish thought (if you want to consider the viewpoint of Christianity's immediate progenitor) Sheol was the place of judgment and purification that souls entered first. Post purification, souls were likely repeatedly reincarnated until God (or Yahweh, or what's-his-name) decided to start the whole shebang over and create a new Eden. Eden is one of the main conceptual forerunners of the idea of Heaven; Christianity (and some classical Jewish interpretations as well, of course) removed it from it's role as a historical destination and placed it in an eternal context. In a similar vein, Sheol became Hell (it is even translated as such in most Bibles written in English.) All of this is, of course, a lot more complicated than i am presenting it. Please forgive my brutal summary.

But if you are not talking about the history of the complimentary ideas of heaven and hell, but rather which idea makes the first impression on fresh converts or children...then I'm not sure. It probably depends on how you were raised.

Blog Entries
    In a nutshell...

Heaven is an eternal total existence with God...

Hell is an eternal existence apart from God...

All representations found in the Bible are trying to explain in physical terms, that which is not physical.
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Quote Originally Posted by eric.bell View Post
    Does the idea of heaven create the idea of hell or vice versa? In other words, which came first heaven or hell?

Hell, definitely.

Coercion before co-operation.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Blake joyfully argues that heaven and hell require each other to exist - he's also firmly on the side of hell, because its simply more interesting than eternal perfection.

I blogged about this once (back when I had time for writing!):

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/blog.php?b=9020
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Speaking philosophically, and not in terms of religion, it seems like the 2 concepts would come about this way: the concept of heaven would arise from people dealing with death. ie. they lose someone, and begin to ponder if that person lives on, and has perhaps found peace.

The idea of hell would seem to arise from experiencing/observing people's foul behavior in this life - and seeing some get away with things scott free.

Now which came first - it is hard to say. It seems that some could go through life without ever truly observing the "scott free" people - but it seems at some point everyone has to confront death (of someone they know/love) - but who knows...

although if you see them as reward for good, or punishment for evil - then I guess you could argue that they are as old as good and evil

so I might be said that evil was defined first. For, how could you know what is good until you have pinpointed something as evil

A Student
    Quote Originally Posted by IceM View Post
    In a religious sense, Heaven existed before Hell.

I'd argue the same. Morality and pre-Christianity eras would argue that good behavior in the physical life would constitute a luxurious one in the afterlife. In a crude sense, Heaven was formed. Hell became a subsequent threat to promote morality and ascend towards a better afterlife--heaven.
    I recant this statement.

Glory to God in the highest.

Blog Entries
    Maybe I am the only one who remembers this song Here

Vacancies -- heaven and hell
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IS8rzOH_fE