Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could have a bionic body part, would you?

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you could have a bionic body part, would you?

Hopefully I'm not showing my age too much by assuming that most people here would have an idea who the Six Million Dollar Man was, or if not the Six Million Dollar Man perhaps, at least, the Borg?

So the idea is this: imagine you could have bionic implants fitted which would enhance or amend your natural abilities. So, for example, you could have your legs replaced with bionic legs which would enable you to run faster; or perhaps you might have your eyes replaced with bionic eyes which would enable you to see farther and in greater detail, or perhaps enable you to see the full electromagnetic spectrum; or perhaps you could have your lungs replaced with bionic lungs which would enable you to breathe underwater. And these bionic implants would look and feel like the 'natural' article, so your eyes would still look like normal eyes, and your legs like normal legs and so on.

Would you? And if you would, what would you have bionically enhanced? (Men, answer this question carefully. Remember, this is a family friendly forum )

And if you wouldn't, why not?
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Would I have to become part of the collective?
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    I could do with a new set of eyes, really. And I'd love to be able to read all my books without having to resort to the magnifying glass, even those in small print.

An (ex-)colleague who was extremely short-sighted did it, had his cornea treated with laser and they implanted some sort of artificial lenses behind his natural lenses, and he doesn't even need ordinary glasses anymore.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
    To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits
    in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.”

Helen Keller

Blog Entries
    (dont forget bionic woman!)
    Dont think i would. When i think of bionics now all i can think of is the cybermen/women in Doctor Who. dont fancy that!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    Would you? And if you would, what would you have bionically enhanced? (Men, answer this question carefully. Remember, this is a family friendly forum )
    Now was it necessary to add that? Yes! Because it came to mind.

I guess it would have to be heart because it would improve all your muscle performance in some fashion and you would not have to ever worry about cholesterol.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Livin' in Slow Motion Hurricane's Avatar
    Bionic eyes would be nice. I already am (hopefully) getting laser eyes through PRK next year though, so in that case I'll take bionic lungs. Swimming underwater without that lovely drowning feeling would be nice.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Eyes!

It would be lovely to wake up and see the sunrise in the morning without having to scrabble for my specs on the bedside table...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Brain.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Ive been holding out for a cyborg arm for ages now, but those bloody scientists dont reallly seem to be getting anywhere quickly.

I would definately get cyborg parts, its the natural progression of human evolution. We have ceased to evolve and instead our machines evolve in our place. Eventually (just like the transformers) we will have to decide if we should stay organic, or transfer ourselves into our creations.

Were not that far off, nanotechnology has created nanites, which are little robots small as blood cells that can travel around and hunt infections etc. Only problem is they are afraid they will be hacked, or just go haywire and create wat is referred to in the profession as "grey goo". The result of the nanites going berserk, they essentially liquify you from the inside out, and spread and multiply until all living creatures are consumed.

Some cybernetic limbs already do exist using the nerve recepters from previously existing limbs (generally due to amputation) however these are very unrefined and require hours of training just to do simple tasks.

Yes cyborg eyes, and even ears already exist too aswell as cyborg hearts.

Currently the big trend (beside nanotechnology) is combining stem cells and other cultured cells with mechanical framework, so in theory you could have a cyborg liver, with a self cleaning and indestructable casing, filled with cultured liver cells. Or some such thing

Its an incredibly facinating are of science if u ask me.

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nax View Post
    Its an incredibly facinating are of science if u ask me.
    I agree Nax. The idea of nanites is a bit scary, because apart from the deliberate act of sabbotage there is always the possibility that, despite their smallness, we know so little about sentience that we have no idea if they could gain it by themselves, and aside from that human error could cause a catastrophe.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    Eyes!

It would be lovely to wake up and see the sunrise in the morning without having to scrabble for my specs on the bedside table...
    Try Lazik. I woke up the next morning and I could see individual tiles on the roof of the house across the street. It was breathtaking.

Moorfields Eye Hospital, Mr Julian Stevens, three grand or so; it takes about fifteen minutes. Sell a kidney if necessary. He might even do trade-in.

Speaking of which, a bionic liver would be handy.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    Try Lazik. I woke up the next morning and I could see individual tiles on the roof of the house across the street. It was breathtaking.

Moorfields Eye Hospital, Mr Julian Stevens, three grand or so; it takes about fifteen minutes. Sell a kidney if necessary. He might even do trade-in.

Speaking of which, a bionic liver would be handy.
    It's something I'm researching, though I kind of nervous when it comes to eye treatments - I'm a bit paranoid about losing my sight altogether!

Also, I am a penniless student, who is nonetheless rather attached to his kidneys... perhaps when they start paying me, I'll go for it!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Id have an extra set of bionic arms a la inspector gadget! That way I can catch the books before they land on my head...!
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Id have an extra set of bionic arms a la inspector gadget! That way I can catch the books before they land on my head...!
    erm ... are there normally books flying about at your place?

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
    To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits
    in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.”

Helen Keller

Blog Entries
    I get asthma sometimes so bionic lungs would be excellent...

A bionic heart too so there would no longer be any worry of cholesterol as Virgil said...
    Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders. ~Jewish Proverb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast