Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: BF Skinner--Does free will exist?

BF Skinner--Does free will exist?

Skinner, a behaviorist psychologist, claimed that "free will is but an illusion"; that is, all actions are brought on as a direct result of conditioning, be it operant or classical. Skinner was quick to dismiss internal processes as irrelevant, claiming only observable behavior matters (this is a basic tenet of behaviorist psychology). Other behaviorists say environment doesn't totally predicate behavior, as one change alter their environment, becoming the impetus of their new actions. But Skinner's ideas still carry much weight, and I'm interested in seeing what you guys have to say about this.

I would put this in Serious Discussions, but I'm interested in reading some anecdotes that might not fit there.

Blog Entries
    Well, cognative science has pretty much put the kibosh on behaviorism don't you think? Meaning is the central concept of psychology, all thought and behavior are obviously not just a reaction to conditioning. Behaviorism is kinda a thing of the past. It WAS an important stepping stone though.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

I too do think on similar lines like Behaviorists. Free Will is never free. There is a driving force and man cannot make decision independently. When I fall somebody and love her, it is her beauty too that seduces me. Of course it is her beauty that drives me to follow her.

Man is a tool and there are natural or some forces that impel us and we follow them submissively.

Conscience or Free Will is the product of Christian Faith. I do not have to stick to that dogmatic notion. I am free to think.

Of course morality, ethics, religions are powerful determinants and they stop us from going astray. But we know a recent case how some of the priesthoods like popes went astray. There are too many gays out there. Of course they have the sex organs that win over them. Their free will be in jeopardy against the powerful sensuousness at work on them.

And still if you religiously as a conformist argue that free will exists and doing anything against a particular religious is a sacrilegious act is a drivel.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.