Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Personification v.s anthropomorphism

The difference is that anthropomorphization imposes physicall or tangible human characteristics onto the subject to suggest an embodiment of the human form. To avoid confusing the two terms, think of the physical metamorphosis of the entity into human form when dealing with anthropomorphization.
    By the way, neither term is not be confused with the metaphorical representation of any entity in another form!

I realize this thread is a little old; however, I thought I would weigh in. From all the information I gathered, I believe it is easiest to understand personification as giving a human characteristic to a non-human animal, object, etc. in a specific reference. For instance in Shakespeare's personification of the moon as a "dark suited matron all in black," or as an earlier post-er explained, "the tree branches grabbed me as I walked by." Anthropomorphism occurs when an inanimate item, object, or even an animal is given all the characteristics of a human and essentially becomes cognizant which would happen in the example of animating death as a person, or making a rabbit walk, talk, and think as the Easter Bunny. Greek root: anthropo - humanize morphology - living organism Thus to make something into a living humanized organism. Just my insight

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12