Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Woman aiming to be world's fattest

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBenoit View Post
    But to sacrifice your own motherhood for something so low, is appalling and sickening. And if she starts becoming immobile or gets a very dangerous disease or anything that would prevent her from doing her motherly duties, her children should be taken away by child protection services for negligence....You can be 300 pounds with type-two diabetes and still be a good and caring mom, but when you're so purposely and meaningfully doing this (at 600 pounds already!), something must be done.
    I'm curious, should people who partake in dangerous sports like mountaineering or B.A.S.E jumping, or luge or motocross; or people who undertake dangerous events like climbing Everest or travelling to the North Pole have their children taken away from them? In a sense what they're doing is no different, they are putting themselves in danger - pushing the boundaries of what it is possible to do with the human body, you might say - at the potential risk of their child's upbringing. Why do we look at 'adventurers' positively, but condemn this woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Jozanny View Post
    As to what it says about the US, we're a media saturated, shallow, materialistic empty society--but we still seem to keep making history. When Prince Charles asks the next black prime minister to run his country, then give me a nudge, okay?
    Hey Jozy, you know we still have a Queen, she's not dead yet. And unlike the US we have had a female leader. Heck centuries ago
    Last edited by TheFifthElement; 04-21-2010 at 03:38 AM.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung View Post
    What she is doing , while not illegal, is wrong, unhealthy, and mostly, sad.
    I wouldn't say it's wrong. But I would say it's pretty damn stupid. Having a kid while she risks her life for a prize. What a lucky child to have such an obsessive mommy.
    "We are animals with problems that no other animal has." - Radam J. Starkiller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    I'm curious, should people who partake in dangerous sports like mountaineering or B.A.S.E jumping, or luge or motocross; or people who undertake dangerous events like climbing Everest or travelling to the North Pole have their children taken away from them? In a sense what they're doing is no different, they are putting themselves in danger - pushing the boundaries of what it is possible to do with the human body, you might say - at the potential risk of their child's upbringing. Why do we look at 'adventurers' positively, but condemn this woman?
    they dont deserve to have their kids taken away from them and neither does this lady. But does the kid deserve to have her mom taken from her for whatever reason this lady is getting so much of her chomp chomp on?
    "We are animals with problems that no other animal has." - Radam J. Starkiller

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolte View Post
    they dont deserve to have their kids taken away from them and neither does this lady. But does the kid deserve to have her mom taken from her for whatever reason this lady is getting so much of her chomp chomp on?
    Yeah, I can see where you're coming from but surely you can say that about all aspects of life. Life is risky. Thousands of people are killed in road traffic accidents, and with most accidents you can say: "if such and such hadn't done this they'd still be alive" so would you say, "if Mum had walked to the shop she still would be alive today, does the kid deserve to have her Mum taken from her just because her Mum couldn't be bothered walking today"? It's equally valid.

I'm not passing judgement either way, not at this point. What piques my curiosity is the question of why this woman's actions are generally judged to be immoral, especially when people take all sorts of risks with their own safety and no one blinks an eye or, in some cases, deem it admirable. Is this because she is choosing the live outside the social norm, and chooses to reject advice about what is supposed to be 'good for her'? And if so, why is it that some people can live outside the social norm and be considered admirable (adventurers for example, no one seems to give two hoots about their children) and others are not? It seems a very curious state of affairs.
    Last edited by TheFifthElement; 04-21-2010 at 08:47 AM.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    As a person that was bullied at school for being a bit overwieght, I can say that this woman needs help. Everyone challenges themselves to do something at some point in their life, but usually their goal is inspiring or beneficial. This is just another log to the fire of the obesity "epidemic" as they are calling it, and giving the people who generalise people that are obese as people that eat 1000 pounds of Mcdonald's a day, more ammunition. I'm just glad that this report is on a website that most kids won't go one, because it will just give them further insults for the slightly larger kids at school.

Death awaits...
    Blog Entries
    Yes Indy, last year I took control of my life and lost 16 kilos in 10 months... It was hard work and I hated it, but I had to do it for health reasons. This woman will have serious health issues in the near future... Take it from somone who knows.

Blog Entries
    I do. She thinks she's not hurting anyone but she hasn't taken into consideration the impact it can have on her, her daughter and everyone else around her.

Death awaits...
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Indyben View Post
    I do. She thinks she's not hurting anyone but she hasn't taken into consideration the impact it can have on her, her daughter and everyone else around her.
    This is true, it can affect the whole family. It is sad,what people will do for attention. I hope she snaps out of it and thinks twice... But something is telling me she won't. She'll learn the hard way I guess.

I have managed to put 6 kilos back on in 4 months of not working out as much. So I'll have to get back on track...

Blog Entries
    I'm not passing judgement either way, not at this point. What piques my curiosity is the question of why this woman's actions are generally judged to be immoral, especially when people take all sorts of risks with their own safety and no one blinks an eye or, in some cases, deem it admirable.
    I agree with you on that one, and I can't quite put my finger on what it is about this situation that galls me so badly. Will ponder if I am just being judgmental, and then I'll come back to the conversation.
    Naked except for a cigarette, you let your mind drift and forget your disbelief. Feel the chill down your back and the flutter of wings through dandelion fields, and forget the pull of gravity in a night without stars.

I lack eloquence and commitment to my arguments. They are half baked, and I will begin passionately, and then abandon them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234