Thread: Loss of Breath--Your Opinions Are Appreciated...

Loss of Breath--Your Opinions Are Appreciated...

I'm not sure why Edgar Allan Poe decided to extend this story. It was first published as 'A Decided Loss.' Then, Poe added to it, republished it, and retitled it, 'Loss of Breath'. Now, maybe there's something I'm not getting here, but doesn't the last paragraph of 'Loss of Breath' kind of seem.... for lack of a better phrase, 'biblically un-poe-ish'? I get that there is no breath to utter, 'Amen,' in this story, but what is with the last part? Is he saying that philosophers should find God before they die? These seems odd for Poe... Is it sarcasm, or was he printing it in a religious periodical? As a matter of opinion, I don't like the part where he wakes up in the tomb and has the final convo. with Widenough. I think it takes the comical sting out of what was a clever story without the addition. Is there a connection I'm not making that ties it all together? I've been asking everyone I can think of and no one gets it... opinions, please. I'm on the verge of emailing an old professor just to sort it out! lol.. Thank you to all of my literary kindred spirits for helping me out!

http://www.online-literature.com/poe/2186/
    Last edited by loulou164; 03-04-2010 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Author's Name Needed Inserted