View Poll Results: And Then There Were None: Final Verdict

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend it.

1 7.14%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

0 0%
  • *** Average.

1 7.14%
  • **** It is a good book.

3 21.43%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would recommend it strongly.

9 64.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April '10 Reading: And Then There Were None

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

April '10 Reading: And Then There Were None

In April, we will be reading And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie.

Please post your comments and questions in this thread.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I've read it before, so that's why I voted already. I'm busy re-reading P&P, so when I'm done I'm starting on this again!

Blog Entries
    I think these are the quickest three votes in the history of Book Club!
    People laugh at me 'coz they think I'm a fool...I smile because I made someone laugh
    Nikhar Agrawal

I downloaded it but I'm not sure I'll be able to get to it this month.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I've managed to find a little pocket of time between other things. I re-read And Then There Were None yesterday (well the day before yesterday actually) and even more excitedly discovered that there is a Poirot I haven't read: Hickory Dickory Dock - duly ordered. I'm going to re-read Curtain - Poirot's Last Case again tomorrow, that's a good one - besides I'm on a train tomorrow and it's always good for some reason to read Christie on a train?!?

I'm gonna sit this one out. Not a fan.

Blog Entries
    I'm picking up my copy tomorrow. This'll be my first Agatha experience.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    I've managed to find a little pocket of time between other things. I re-read And Then There Were None yesterday (well the day before yesterday actually) and even more excitedly discovered that there is a Poirot I haven't read: Hickory Dickory Dock - duly ordered. I'm going to re-read Curtain - Poirot's Last Case again tomorrow, that's a good one - besides I'm on a train tomorrow and it's always good for some reason to read Christie on a train?!?
    Curtain - Poirot's Last Case is the moooooooooooooooost awesome Christie I have ever read! Definitely the most fantastic. Awesummm!

Good to see people taking interest in the book. It's worth a read, believe me. Plus it's short!
    People laugh at me 'coz they think I'm a fool...I smile because I made someone laugh
    Nikhar Agrawal

I've already started reading . I saw the movie adaptation, soviet production from 80s, years ago, but don't remember details well. So my reading is going to be fun. The movie's excellent. I read somewhere that's best adaptation of the story. I don't read or watch mysteries in general, but I did a few in past and this movie was one of them. I can't recall if I've ever read Christie before. in any case if I have'nt, this is going to be my first try.
    Surprisingly I found the movie on you tube with english subtitles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4q1m...eature=related

There is an English or American version of the film too which is really good.

My copy arrived this morning: I spent the afternoon reading it. It's short, it's easy reading. OK, I had nothing else that needed to be done. And I've read it before, years ago when it had a different title. And to think I had a Penguin copy with the old green striped cover - it went AWOL many years ago, either never returned by a borrower or during one of the many house moves.

I'll be interested to read what first-time Christie readers make of it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I just picked up my copy today, and hope to read on it soon

Blog Entries
    *SPOILERS*

I thought that I would hate it. The whole "murder mystery" thing has never really appealed to me. I enjoyed it though because I like Lombard's character a lot. I don't really care that he was an unrepentant murderer, I thought that he was strong and funny, and I liked his disposition. I also thought that it was cool how he genuinely liked Vera (he asked her if she killed that kid because of a man, and when she said that he did he responded with "that's all I wanted to know"... he also liked it when she refused to drink the burbon that the detective poured for her). When they kept describing him as "wolf-like," it reminded me a lot of Hammet's description of Sam Spade in The Maltese Falcon (but of course, Lombard is a much better character than Sam who has the sense of humour of a fence post).

I thought that it might be the judge, but not because of the "clues" he mentioned in his letter at the end... just because his body was draped in red (the whole "red herring" thing), plus he really was always directing things. To be honest, I thought that it also might be Mrs. Rogers playing dead since she was the only one who's death or mangled corpse wasn't seen by everyone (just the doc, and maybe she might have taken something to slow down her vitals). Her character was the least developed, so readers would be going over what was mentioned about all of the rest of the people... they wouldn't think of what wasn't mentioned (but of course, I was wrong).

How would you guys have tried to survive?
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 04-15-2010 at 04:31 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    I thought that I would hate it. The whole "murder mystery" thing has never really appealed to me. I enjoyed it though because I like Lombard's character a lot. I don't really care that he was an unrepentant murderer, I thought that he was strong and funny, and I liked his disposition. I also thought that it was cool how he genuinely liked Vera (he asked her if she killed that kid because of a man, and when she said that he did he responded with "that's all I wanted to know"... he also liked it when she refused to drink the burbon that the detective poured for her). When they kept describing him as "wolf-like," it reminded me a lot of Hammet's description of Sam Spade in The Maltese Falcon (but of course, Lombard is a much better character than Sam who has the sense of humour of a fence post).

I thought that it might be the judge, but not because of the "clues" he mentioned in his letter at the end... just because his body was draped in red (the whole "red herring" thing), plus he really was always directing things. To be honest, I thought that it also might be Mrs. Rogers playing dead since she was the only one who's death or mangled corpse wasn't seen by everyone (just the doc, and maybe she might have taken something to slow down her vitals). Her character was the least developed, so readers would be going over what was mentioned about all of the rest of the people... they wouldn't think of what wasn't mentioned (but of course, I was wrong).

How would you guys have tried to survive?

Glad you liked it. Btw, kindly put a spoiler warning before your post so thta no one accidently ruins their fun of the novel.
    Nikhar Agrawal

Argh dont have a copy of this one, and I've done my book ordering for the month so I' going to have to go to the library!
    Nil Volvpti, Sine Lvcre

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast