View Poll Results: "Steppenwolf": Final Verdict

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • * Waste of time. Wouldn't recommend it.

0 0%
  • ** Didn't like it much.

1 14.29%
  • *** Average.

0 0%
  • **** It is a good book.

1 14.29%
  • ***** Liked it very much. Would strongly recommend it.

5 71.43%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: March '10 Reading: Steppenwolf by Hesse

Blog Entries
    I’m fifty pages in, and I’m ready to put this to the fifty page test, a reflection of what’s happened and what seem to be the themes and a look back. This does seem like a German opera, dark and reflective of internal tensions, the soul in crises. The fifty pages seem to be divided into three parts, that preface narrated in the first person of a fellow lodger, Haller’s first person writings of on the nature his life and workings inside his soul, and the written part of a fortune-telling booklet, titled, “The Treatise of the Steppenwolf.” All three are basically going over and over describing Harry Haller as a tortured soul split between a good nature man and a half savage beast who can’t find contentment, and the metaphor for that beastly part of the self as the Steppenwolf, the lone wolf of the Steppes. I think it worth looking at the first several paragraphs of Haller’s writings. Here are the first two, but forgive me if I mistyped; I'm not the best at the qwerty key board.

The day had gone by just as days go by. I had killed it in accordance with my primitive and retiring way of life. I had worked for an hour or two and perused the image of old books. I had had pains for two hours, as elderly people do. I had taken a powder and been very glad when the pains consented to disappear. I had lain in a hot bath and absorbed its kindly warmth. Three times the mail had come with undesired letters and circulars to look through. I had done my breathing exercises, but found it convenient today to omit the thought exercises. I had been for an hour’s walk and seen the loveliest feathery cloud patterns penciled against the sky. That was very delightful. So was the reading of the old books. So was the lying in the warm bath. But, taken all in all, it had not been exactly a day of rapture. No, it had not even been a day brightened with happiness and joy. Rather, it had been just one of those days which for a long while now had fallen to my lot; the moderately pleasant, the wholly bearable and tolerable, lukewarm days of a discontented middle-aged man; days without special pains, without special cares, without particular worry, without despair; days when I calmly wonder. objective and fearless, whether it isn’t time to follow the example of Adalbert Stifter and have an accident while shaving.

He who has known the other days, the angry ones of gout attacks, or those with the wicked headache rooted behind the eyeballs that casts a spell for every nerve of eye and ear with a fiendish delight in torture, or soul-destroying, evil days of inward vacancy and despair, when, on this distracted earth, sucked dry by the vampires of finance, the world of men and of so called culture grins back at us with the lying, vulgar, brazen glamor of a Fair and dogs us with the persistence of an emetic, and when all is concentrated and focused to the last pitch of the intolerable upon your own sick self—he who has known these days of hell may be content indeed with normal half-and-half days like today. Thankfully you sit by the warm stove, thankfully you assure yourself as you read your morning paper that another day has come and no war broken out, no new dictatorship has been set up, no particularly disgusting scandle been unveiled in the worlds of politics and finance. Thankfully you tune the strings of your moldering lyre to a moderated, to a passably joyful, nay, to at even delighted psalm of thanksgiving and with it bore your quiet, flabby and slightly stupefied half-and-half god of contentment; and in the thick warm air of a contented boredom and very welcome painlessness the nodding mandarin of a half-and-half god and the nodding middle-aged gentleman who sings his muffled psalm look as like each other as two peas.
    Hesse sets up a contrast with these first two paragraphs. The first emphasizes the good natured man and the moments of contentment, albeit short lived. The second emphasizes the other times, the days of “vacancy and despair.” That word “primitive” is curious in the first paragraph. What exactly is his “primitive…way of life?” And in that long first sentence of the second paragraph, Haller lists the two fold causes of his torture: internal pain (gout and headache) and the world of men and culture and the political chaos of the world. And then the next paragraph is rather revealing.

There is much to be said for the contentment and painlessness, for these bearable and submissive days, on which neither pain nor pleasure is audible, but pass by whispering and on tip-toe. But the worst of it is that it is just this contentment that I cannot endure. After a short time it fills me with irrepressible hatred and nausea. In desperation I have to escape and throw myself on the road to pleasure, or, if that cannot be, on the road to pain. When I have neither pleasure nor pain and have been breathing for a while the lukewarm insipid air of these so-called good and tolerable days, I feel so bad in my childish soul that I smash up my moldering lyre of thanksgiving in the face of the slumbering god of contentment and would rather feel the very devil burn in me than his warmth of a well-heated room. A wild longing for strong emotions and sensations seethes in me, a rage against this toneless, flat, normal and sterile life. I have a mad impulse to smash something, a warehouse, perhaps a cathedral, or myself, to commit outrages, to pull off the wigs of a few revered idols, to provide a few rebellious school boys with the longed-for ticket to Hamburg, or to stand one or two representatives of the established order on their heads. For what I always hated and detested and cursed above all things was this contentment, this healthiness and comfort, this carefully preserved optimism of the middle classes, this fat and prosperous brood of mediocrity.
    So the very moments of contentment lead to the dark, wolfish self. This is not a simple dualism of opposing forces. It’s complex. Instead of the two halves faced in opposition, they are sequentially linked. And how then do the internal pain and the outside world of men of the second paragraph fit in? Weren’t they the root causes? So Hesse has set up a rather complicated set of sources for Haller’s alienation, and how these play out are I think the process of development for the novel. Certainly we see through the suggestion of wars and dictatorships and scandals, the outside world is integrated with the alienation. But so is the ennui of life and the internal pain of an aging, suffering human being.

Another motif that seems to jump out at one in these early pages is the religious language. Here are words from the first several paragraphs of Haller’s testimony: thanksgiving, fiendish delight, soul, psalm, cathedral, curse, devil, evil, divine, ablution, heaven, God, holy, spiritual. No question he’s suggesting something. Haller in an early paragraph recounts how once some “lovely old music” brought him back from “the world of wanderings to the living world.” He describes this in the manner of a religious experience, or nearly one:

After two or three notes of the piano the door was opened of a sudden to the other world. I sped through heaven and saw God at work. I suffered holy pains. I dropped all my defenses and was afraid of nothing in the world. I accepted all things and to all things I gave up my heart. It did not last very long, a quarter of an hour perhaps; but it returned to me in a dream at night, and since, through all the barren days, I caught a glimpse of it now and then. Sometimes for a minute of two I saw it clearly, threading my life like a divine and golden track. But nearly always it was blurred in dirt and dust. Then again it gleamed out in golden sparks as though never to be lost again and yet was soon quite lost once more. Once it happened, as I lay awake at night, that I suddenly spoke in verses, in verses so beautiful and strange that I did not venture to think of writing them down, and then in the morning they vanished; and yet they lay hidden within me like the hard kernel within an old brittle husk. Once it came to me while reading a poet, while pondering a thought of Descartes, of Pascal; again it shone out and drove its gold track far into the sky while I was in the presence of my beloved. Ah, but it is hard to find the track of the divine in the midst of this life we lead, in this besotted humdrum age of spiritual blindness, with its architecture, its business, its politics, its men.
    So we see another dualism here, moments of internal spirituality set against the modernist (modernism being from the beginning of the century to about world war two) view of the outside world as being stripped of spiritual significance.

So these are the themes and motifs of the first quarter of the novel that I see. While I do find this interesting so far, I can’t say at the moment this is going to be a great novel for me. The characterization is excellent and the themes, though not all that original for its time, are intricately suggested, but hardly any narrative action has occurred, and it’s a quarter of the way through. This has all essentially been expository and descriptive. We have a character and we have some abstract themes, but where’s the story? A quarter of the way through and there’s no story yet. I’m waiting for something to happen, the destabilizing event.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I should really participate in this discussion. Steppenwolf... and a great deal of the rest of Hesse were favorite reads when I first began to explore literature some years ago. Beside... I have a new translation I'm in need of exploring.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    I should really participate in this discussion. Steppenwolf... and a great deal of the rest of Hesse were favorite reads when I first began to explore literature some years ago. Beside... I have a new translation I'm in need of exploring.
    I can see why I haven't read it before and I'm really enjoying it

Blog Entries
    The story does take off after a fashion, but the preface seems to be a conventional narrative from a bourgeois narrator. Haller's narrative goes beyong this.

In his introducation, Hesse talks about the neglect of the healing aspect of the novel. I think it is clear to see how disaffected groups - I'm thinking of the 60's movements and onwards with their dislike of the Bourgeois Middle classes tok to this book. I think Virgil's laying out of the themes is an important aspect of the healing that takes place.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hesse uses the irony of the bourgeois narrator who cannot fully understand... or even misunderstands... his subject in the Glass Bead Game as well.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    Hesse uses the irony of the bourgeois narrator who cannot fully understand... or even misunderstands... his subject in the Glass Bead Game as well.
    I'd just started The Glass Bead Game when this thread came up. I already had Steppenwolf so I reverted to that.

From the first chapter or so it seems as thouh Hesse develops the isolated Steppenwolf character into an intellectual monastic elite and continues the themes. I'm looking forward to it.

Blog Entries
    Harry and Hermine seem almost to be a sort of Anima/Animus to each other. They are like dual aspects of the same self. As Hermine put it, they are like looking glasses to each other, in which they can study their reflections within each other. And just like a looking glass they appear as if opposites from each other, and yet that opposite nature is something that seems to be purely external.

They are still as if part of the same core, the same self, in this way they can understand each other uncannily in spite of the fact that they seem to be opposites from each other in every conceivable or tangible way.

There is also something unavoidably Freudian in their relationship with each other. Though they seem, at least at the start to be primarily platonic, as they both state that neither is in love with the other, Hermine makes her declaration of causing Harry to fall in love with her. Yet at the same time her treatment of him and their interactions with each other are of a clearly and blatantly maternal nature.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    Harry and Hermine seem almost to be a sort of Anima/Animus to each other. They are like dual aspects of the same self. As Hermine put it, they are like looking glasses to each other, in which they can study their reflections within each other. And just like a looking glass they appear as if opposites from each other, and yet that opposite nature is something that seems to be purely external.

They are still as if part of the same core, the same self, in this way they can understand each other uncannily in spite of the fact that they seem to be opposites from each other in every conceivable or tangible way.

There is also something unavoidably Freudian in their relationship with each other. Though they seem, at least at the start to be primarily platonic, as they both state that neither is in love with the other, Hermine makes her declaration of causing Harry to fall in love with her. Yet at the same time her treatment of him and their interactions with each other are of a clearly and blatantly maternal nature.

It takes another turn later in the book too. I don't want to give anything away, but what appears to be a conventional narrative becomes a different type later. It is only by reflecting back that we realise what Hesse has done.

The key to this, as I pointed out, is the bourgeois narrator's take. I think you can regard him as trustworthy, but uncomprehending. He gives us the actual events without the inner insight of Haller.

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    It takes another turn later in the book too. I don't want to give anything away, but what appears to be a conventional narrative becomes a different type later. It is only by reflecting back that we realise what Hesse has done.

The key to this, as I pointed out, is the bourgeois narrator's take. I think you can regard him as trustworthy, but uncomprehending. He gives us the actual events without the inner insight of Haller.
    Yes, I agree. I've held off saying anything until I'd finished the book as the deeper you go into the book, the less this seems like a 'real' story. I have my views, now, on Hermine/Herman (Hesse?), and Pablo, and the 'Immortals', and who and what they are. But again, I think I'll wait until more people have finished the book. I wouldn't want to spoil anything.

I really enjoyed reading Steppenwolf. It starts of slow, as Virgil said, but I think that Hesse is merely setting up the readers expectations which he slowly takes apart later. There are aspects of the book which spoke to me very deeply; it has made me think a great deal and on that basis I would give it 5 stars. There is more to it than is immediately apparent. I still feel I need to reflect on it.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    I'd agree with that Fifth.

On the culural front and how it's been taken, I can see how it has appealed to various types of marginalised people - bohemians, drug takers, anti-bourgeois, the dissatisfied, hedonists, peple of different sexual orientations etc, and these can fit lots of people I've known who might - but didn't having not read the book - have associated with the themes. It's perhaps possible to see what Hesse is getting at in saying his book has been misinterpreted maybe by the kinds of peopele I mentioned.

It is certainly about being different, but in a much more rareifed/ academic sense. Speaking of sense - do you think I am talking any?

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On the culural front and how it's been taken, I can see how it has appealed to various types of marginalised people - bohemians, drug takers, anti-bourgeois, the dissatisfied, hedonists, peple of different sexual orientations etc, and these can fit lots of people I've known who might - but didn't having not read the book - have associated with the themes. It's perhaps possible to see what Hesse is getting at in saying his book has been misinterpreted maybe by the kinds of peopele I mentioned.

It is certainly about being different, but in a much more rareifed/ academic sense. Speaking of sense - do you think I am talking any?
    I think you're making more sense than I am!

I can see how, on one level, the book would appeal to marginalised groups but I think Hesse is definitely aiming at something else. The juxtaposition of the intellectual self (or the 'soul', perhaps) against the animalistic self. Or, to put it a different way, the part of us that thinks (and feels itself separate) to the body over which we appear to have no conscious control. But of course Hesse goes further than that. Hesse, I think, introduces us to the idea of the multiplicity of identity, after building us up to think only of duality (Haller v the Steppenwolf) he offers much more than that. I think it's also interesting how the final stages of the story, prior to the Magic Theatre, take place in 'Hell'. But I'm still not entirely sure what I think about that bit.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    I've been stalled in my reading. I'll try to catch up. Sounds like it will get better as I get into it.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    I think you're making more sense than I am!

I can see how, on one level, the book would appeal to marginalised groups but I think Hesse is definitely aiming at something else. The juxtaposition of the intellectual self (or the 'soul', perhaps) against the animalistic self. Or, to put it a different way, the part of us that thinks (and feels itself separate) to the body over which we appear to have no conscious control. But of course Hesse goes further than that. Hesse, I think, introduces us to the idea of the multiplicity of identity, after building us up to think only of duality (Haller v the Steppenwolf) he offers much more than that. I think it's also interesting how the final stages of the story, prior to the Magic Theatre, take place in 'Hell'. But I'm still not entirely sure what I think about that bit.
    Yes I think you're right. The multiplicity idea comes from Buddhism, which Hesse studied along with Hinduism and resulted in Siddhartha. I think he was aiming at some combination of the intellectual traditions of East and West. The figure with the chess pieces in the theatre is like monk. I think Buddhism may have attracted him because of it's very academic approach to the world.

As for Hell - I, too, am unsure of the significance, though it is part of the shock tactics he's employing. At the time it was written - between the wars - it would have been a shocking book to read for the literate bourgeoisie. Sex, drugs, multiple partners, irreligious behaviour, transvestitism, alcoholism, an apparent murder, and pacifist anti-nationalism.

He will be aiming for the effects, but these must be metaphors for his spiritual journey.

Blog Entries
    I'd agree with that Fifth.

That is an excellent point! In fact as I started to progress further into my reading and began delving into the liaisons between Maria and Haller, I instantly started thinking of the Hippy, Beatnik lifestyle, and the book On The Road came into my mind in that whole free love idea, as well as their general impressions about art and the interesting conversation between Haller's intellectual ideas on music and his views particularly upon Mozart vs. Pablo's much more "sensual" take upon music, and the role of art to appeal to the senses in the moment, and simply make people feel something.

I can see where this book would appeal to a great many different types who are "outside" the system so to speak, that is those who do challenge the normal constants and restrictions which are set up by society. On the one hand Hesse is reaching out to a vast group of different people and there is something which a great many counter-culture types might find some connection or relation to.

Yet at the same time I agree that Hesse is aiming for something much more than that. There is something both strongly intellectual as well as I think spiritual that is meant to be taken from the book. Hesse's intentions regarding the role of the Eastern philosophies is stated quite plainly toward the beginning of the book.

It is a book that could easily be misinterpreted to fit into varying different vies and used as a sort of justification for many different anti-establishment groups.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm officially giving up I've tried and tried to get into this, and from everyone's comments, it seems pretty interesting. However, I just can't get into it at all. I think part of it is the first person narration, and that isn't my favorite style to read.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast