Thread: Please help finding the title of a novel!

Smile Please help finding the title of a novel!

I need to find a particular book for my daughter's studies but can only remember the story, not the author or title - can you help?!

The story is based round 4 daughters and their father, all of whom live together. The mother has (recently?) died and the story revolves around the relationships between them and how they manage their grief. One daughter has a baby and lets her sister look after it for her whilst she continues her studies - the sister becomes too involved and begins to pretend the baby is hers when attending mother and toddler groups etc. After a few years she "kidnaps" the young girl for a few days, and then has to move away when the rest of the family disown her. The daughter whose baby it is, continues to work and becomes a professor (?) at the university.

The eldest daughter takes on the role of mother and, whilst enjoying the cooking etc, becomes bitter that they take her for granted. She eventually marries and moves away.

They keep in touch loosely but come back together for the young girl's 18th birthday, and the emotions below the surface simmer again. The only one missing is the daughter who kidnapped the girl when she was a toddler. She is eventually found but is reluctant to meet up again as she has built a new life and has her own husband and daughter who know nothing about her sisters etc.

This is a rough plot, but any help would be really appreciated!

Literary Superstar Pryderi Agni's Avatar
    On the spires of Paris, with the Red Queen...
    I don't know. Sounds like something I've read somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't remember what the name is. I'll be back if I remember.

Thank you!

I've found it! "The Faraday Girls" by Monica McInerney

Thanks for replying, though...