Thread: A slow start to an eerie reminder of mortality

A slow start to an eerie reminder of mortality

I think it's safe to say that most avid readers of classical works are fans of Russian Realism. This particular work by Tolstoy really surprised me in many different aspects. When I started to read it I was drawn into just the meticulous dedication that Tolstoy puts into painting a picture of story with his vivid details. The story made an unsuspected change when Ivan begins to near his death. Although the story is short in the last 20 pages or so we are tossed into the thought process of this man dying. Now in most cases realism isn't quite the best literary era to depict any sort of psychological break down but in this story Tolstoy captures this in a brilliant way. I mean when Ivan is breaking down and frantic while it appears that no one seems to care about his looming death, I couldn't help but feel a sense of hopelessness for anyone who is dying. It made me contemplate whether or any of us can truly accept our mortality and when we die do we ultimately always die alone? So I guess I just wanted to throw those questions out there for all you lit forum members.

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babak Movahed View Post
    I think it's safe to say that most avid readers of classical works are fans of Russian Realism.
    If you think that's safe, I seriously hope you're not an airline pilot or a bungee-jump organiser.