Thread: My Favorite Passage

My Favorite Passage

This is my favorite part of the whole book. In fact, it may just be one of my favorite literary moments ever.

But they were in a state of frenzy, perhaps because of forgotten vanities, and it made an exhibition of sublime recklessness. There was no obvious questioning, nor figurings, nor diagrams. There was, apparently, no considered loopholes. It appeared that the swift wings of their desires would have shattered against the iron gates of the impossible.

He himself felt the daring spirit of a savage, religion-mad. He was capable of profound sacrifices, a tremendous death. He had no time for dissections, but he knew that he thought of the bullets only as things that could prevent him from reaching the place of his endeavor. There were subtle flashings of joy within him that thus should be his mind.
    Comments? Other Passages?

The Flag

Within him, as he hurled himself forward, was born a love, a despairing fondness for this flag which was near him. It was a creation of beauty and invulnerability. It was a goddess, radiant, that bended its form with a imperious gesture to him. It was a woman, red and white, hating and loving, that called him with the voice of his hopes. Because no harm could come to it he endowed it with power. He Kept near, as if it could be a saver of lives, and an imploring cry went from his mind.
    A sudden evocation of the patriotism that lurks within Henry. He has a strong want to prove himself to his peers, but throughout most of the book he feels betrayed by his country and his generals. His love for his country is vague, but this is one on the few times where it shines through. Crane does a powerful job of making the image come alive by comparing the flag to a goddess.

On a similar note, I think it rare to find patriotism like this these days. The causes are less clear, as are the enemies. World powers move with stealth and hidden agendas. The Civil War was a real man's war.

Quote Originally Posted by fix3db View Post
    A sudden evocation of the patriotism that lurks within Henry. He has a strong want to prove himself to his peers, but throughout most of the book he feels betrayed by his country and his generals. His love for his country is vague, but this is one on the few times where it shines through. Crane does a powerful job of making the image come alive by comparing the flag to a goddess.

On a similar note, I think it rare to find patriotism like this these days. The causes are less clear, as are the enemies. World powers move with stealth and hidden agendas. The Civil War was a real man's war.
    There are no significant world powers today other than the globalization of democracy, and that my fellow Americans, is very very clear. See it. Don't ever believe it.