Thread: Another tough decision

Another tough decision

Should I read Say You're One of Them by Uwem Akpan or Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck?

Blog Entries
    Steinbeck.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    Steinbeck.
    I've decided to go with Say You're One of Them.

"Of Mice and Men" is old news. He has another book called "The Grapes of Wrath" that might be good. I've never heard of the other author. Teachers make a big deal out of Steinbeck.

Quote Originally Posted by aquarium444 View Post
    "Of Mice and Men" is old news. He has another book called "The Grapes of Wrath" that might be good. I've never heard of the other author. Teachers make a big deal out of Steinbeck.
    It sounds interesting to me. I own both novels, I have a lot of books I haven't gotten around to reading.

I have a lot of books myself, although I started to buy some for the Sony Reader which is means that I moved to e-books. I have a reasonable amount of literature paperbacks but I have not read any of them. I'm mostly looking at Lovecraft short stories and they are very good, although not all of them are great, some are awesome.

I mentioned the other book because I didn't really care much for "Of Mice and Men". I mean if you sat down and started reading it, than it would be okay, but it would be difficult for me to even want to look at it. I know how it goes because we covered it in school, saw the movie, etc. His other book might be better?

Quote Originally Posted by African_Love View Post
    It sounds interesting to me. I own both novels, I have a lot of books I haven't gotten around to reading.
    'Of Mice and Men' is upsetting but good.

I still stand firm by East of Eden being Steinbeck's best novel.

And there's reason to make a big deal of Steinbeck. Of Mice and Men is a very good book, and as many others, I've never even heard of the other book. Let us know how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashbe Maeur View Post
    I still stand firm by East of Eden being Steinbeck's best novel.
    Yumph - great book.

I think Steinbeck's best short book is The Red Pony. But I know Of Mice and Men has more mass appeal

Steinbeck wrote a short story called "The chrysanthemums" that was worth reading. I actually have it here in one of my books.

He wrote some book called "Cannery Row" but I did not read it, yet for some reason it sounds like a popular title along with the others mentioned.

Steinbeck wrote a short story called "The chrysanthemums" that was worth reading. I actually have it here in one of my books.

He wrote some book called "Cannery Row" but I did not read it, yet for some reason it sounds like a popular title along with the others mentioned.
    Cannery Row is one of my absolute favorites by him. And he actually wrote a sequel to it called Sweet Thursday that I like just as much