Thread: Balzac’s Massive Literary Output

Balzac’s Massive Literary Output

Wow, just reading in the intro of his Old Goriot of this man’s incredible output:

Of these proposed three to four thousand characters Balzac succeeded in creating some two thousand, in twenty-two years of intensive work at relentlessly high pressure, working fourteen, sixteen, eighteen hours a day for months on end, choosing the night to work in, when he would be free from interruption, and stimulating his tired brain with cups of strong black coffee. In those years, apart from numerous essays, short stories and plays, he wrote nearly ninety volumes, of which almost every one is a novel of the first rank.
    Obviously a really dedicated and obsessed individual, I'm really looking forward to reading more of his work.

Well, I have read once, that Balzac's hardworkingness was the result of his lifestyle. He love gambling, drinking and luxurious life. He used to spend great deal of money, and for most of his life he was trying to pay off his debts.
    Nevertheless his works are amazing, and La Comédie humaine is one of the milestones in literature. After Goriot, try Lost Illusions, it's equally good and to some extent it's Goriot's continuation.

Blog Entries
    Old Goriot is really good. His description of the lodginghouse soon into the novel is brilliant.

Thanks yes, I thought Old Goriot was very good. I read Colonel Chabert and The Vendetta, two short stories/novellas last week and loved those, especially Colonel Chabert.

Blog Entries
    The only other Balzac I've read is Cousin Bette, which is also very good. He's someone I would like to read more of - when my pile goes down!