Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Literature Recommendations

A Student

Literature Recommendations

A few literature lovers at our high school have decided to form our own exclusive book club. Because our English curriculum is disappointingly poor in promoting reading other books (and because curriculums only feature one book, maybe two, per segment), most of us in this book club are sadly under-read.

That's where I need the help of our LitNation.

I need book recommendations, preferably fiction, not because we're fiction buffs but because any attempt to even nominate philosophical or well-written non-fiction has already been blocked by our 5 members (outvoted 4-1). I do ask, be varied in our recommendations. We're not doing a hitlist on the classics although classics will invariably be chosen. Likewise, we're not strictly confined to one time period or author.

I know this is much to ask as is, but, if I may ask for one more piece of information; what made it relevant. Not necessarily an in-depth synopsis of the work, but what stood out. Much thanks and appreciation to any and all responses.

Regards,
    IceM

Blog Entries
    The Magus by John Fowles was one of the most amazing, brillaint and captivating books I have read. It is the kind of book to keep the reader upon the edge of thier seat, and well it has lingered on with me for a long time after reading it. It is quite unlike anything else I have read and takes the reader on quite the interesting joruney.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Romeo & Juliet
    Nicholas Nickleby - Dickens
    The Cossacks - Tolstoy
    Tess - Hardy
    The Oresteia by Aeschlyus (Ted Hughes translation)
    Pride & Prejuduce - Austen
    Waiting for Godot - Beckett
    Joyce - Portrait of the Artist...
    Dostoevsky - Notes from the Undergound
    Kafka - Metamorphosis
    Chekhov - 'selected' short stories

Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis - an effective and thoughtful examination of being a working class man at middle age, and what he has lost by doing so. Lewis was the first American author to win the Nobel for Lit

The Eternal Husband by Dostoevsky - this is a great intro to Dostoevsky becasue it is not 600-900 pages long like most of his novels. It has all the themes that make his works memorable - physical illness, paranoia, romantic relationships, emotional expression

Cannery Row by Steinbeck - a great book that has all of Steinbeck's central themes: human longing, hobos, love, the pathos of loss

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison - arguably the best novel ever written by an African-American author. The "invisible man" is not the guy wrapped in bandages (that is a different book), but the man who is never seen becasue of how races perceive one another differently

Joan of Arc by Mark Twain - amazing biography of the most extraordinary woman who ever lived. This book will change the way you see people. This book reads like a novel, and Twain considered it his best work

A Study in Scarlett by Conan Doyle - if you're looking for something lighter - this is the first Sherlock Holmes book. In it you will find taut, exceptionally logical writing as only Conan Doyle could do. Reading his stuff will literally make you a more rational thinker yourself

It's an interesting idea and I'm glad that you have taken it upon yourselves to read more than the strait-jacket allows, though, I don't know, I think half of the fun here is deciding what books you want for yourself. I think that you'll end up with a massive list from this thread and not be much better off for it. Having said that read Dorian Gray, ha, ha and maybe something by Balzac, I have a desire to read Balzac next very much...

Kafka and Dostoevsky are phenomenal considering the way they can fathom the human psyche in point of fact. They are amazing given their ranges of ideas and the way they phrase or structure their sentences, every sentence or paragraph packed with substance.

Of course you can find Chekhov too highly palatable when it comes to telling stories. Of course I like Maupassant' s stories but what attracts me to Chekhav is he is not convoluted,k simple yet witty and humorous, and this combination is rare. Some writers are too complex for us. For example Sartre is intellectually appealing but what makes me skip his books is his complex ideas. So is James Joyce. He is amazing in point of fact given the style of his book, but few claim to have comprehended him in essence.

I never could complete his book despite the fact that I like his books tremendously.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

I second Neely, The Picture of Dorian Gray is an excellent read. It may not be the most important or influential novel in the history of literature, but it's very witty and still a well-known novel, as far as I know. Considered a classic, too.

Most of all it's just a fantastic novel. I can guarantee you'll enjoy it; I know no one who hasn't.
    Without literature my life would be miserable - Naguib Mahfouz

Cool Look up the books recommended by Harold Bloom ....

especially for the more recent writers. He critiques Cormac McCarthy quite well. For classics, consult the Lifetime Readin Plan of Clifton Fadiman.

Blog Entries
    Frank Baum's Oz series
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Blog Entries
    try browsing your library using the LitNet's 100 book official list here" http://online-literature.com/forums/...ad.php?t=40711

i find the list interesting Good Luck

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise."

-- F. Scott Fitzgerald

A Student
    Wow, thank you to all responses.

To the above poster, I'm aware of the list here on the website, but most of us read the classics on our own time. Albeit, we're still not well read as high school temptations do steal time from us. However, we're trying to read an author's well-written but lesser-known works. We've read Crime and Punishment but haven't read Notes of the Underground; we've read Dorian Gray but haven't read Wilde's other works.

In any other responses that I hope soon follow, I'm conscious of a novelist's premier works. If you know of any lesser known but still well-written works from an author, recommend those as well. We'll read at least 2 novels a month (considering we still have high school curriculum to learn), so we'll pore through most of the books you all mention. Thank you to everyone; we're much obliged.

Regards,
    IceM

Quote Originally Posted by IceM View Post

In any other responses that I hope soon follow, I'm conscious of a novelist's premier works. If you know of any lesser known but still well-written works from an author, recommend those as well. We'll read at least 2 novels a month (considering we still have high school curriculum to learn), so we'll pore through most of the books you all mention. Thank you to everyone; we're much obliged.
    you've hit on a topic that is vitally important to me. With almost every well-known author - I ALWAYS find that his/her lesser-known works are my favorite works by him/her. I'll give some examples - I'll put the lesser-known ones in italics - they are the ones I would recommend highest

Steinbeck is famous for Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden - my favorites by him, by far, are Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday, In Dubious Battle

When Fitzgerald is taught - everyone speaks of The Great Gatsby. I much prefer Tender is the Night by him

Sinclair Lewis is known for Main Street. I found his Arrowsmith to be MUCH better

Twain is know for Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Twain's Autobiography and his Roughing It are much better

I recommend The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe. Simple read on the surface, but there is a lot underneath that a group of people can bring to light once the begin to analyze it. It's a tragedy, through and through. Rather short as well, and is probably classified as a novella. And most importantly, you get to delve into one of the greatest writers that Germany ever produced.

Blog Entries
    The Catcher in the Rye is a great coming of age book for teenagers and also classic literature.

I'll second The Picture of Dorian Gray... a very witty and engaging read.

If you're willing to try your hands at some poetry, Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" is a very introspective read that's fairly easy to understand.

I also preferred Cannery Row to Grapes of Wrath, but felt a bit guilty about it The latter is obviously more wide-ranging and "deeper", but the former is very touching, highly amusing, and an "easy read" on all levels. I might have been needing some relaxation when I read it!

As you've done "Crime & Punishment", why not try Tolstoy's "The Cossacks". It's a wonderful novel, but much shorter than W&P. And you can then have long arguments over "who is best", Tolstoy or Dostoevsky...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast