Thread: The Alien and the Shotgun

The Alien and the Shotgun

She awoke to the sound of her husband groaning. It was a very steady and eerie low pitched moan, one that sent chills over her body the instant she gained consciousness. She knew she wasn’t dreaming.
    “Honey what’s the matter!”
    No reply. Only more groaning which after several moments gradually increased to petrifying howl. He was drenched with sweat in the fetal position, and writhing in agony. She felt helpless. All she could do was keep asking over and over again what was wrong. He tried to telling her, but he literally could not speak a word. He turned onto his back and began to tremble violently while she flipped the light switch, quickly put on her bathrobe and grabbed the phone. She could now only see the whites of his eyes. His teeth clenched tightly. His back suddenly arched.
    Then, the unimaginable happened. Nightmare of nightmares, she saw a sudden bulge in his midsection. Then another, more slowly this time, moving in a semi-circular fashion. There was one final bulge twice as big as the first, and then a pop! Like a geyser, blood gurgled and spewed from his belly caused by a bald microcephalic figure, not quite human, as she watched in utter disbelief and horror. It’s head turned sharply left and right before zoning in on her pallid face with a slight look of curiosity. The phone slipped from her fingers onto the floor.
    She had seen this before in a few motion pictures. The first was the all too familiar scene in Alien, when Kane “gave birth“ to such a hideous creature, and the other was Space Balls, in which its particular scene parodied the former. But this couldn’t really be happening! Whatever this thing was, it didn’t look like anything she had ever seen before. Almost human in form, like a baby, it had two arms, tiny shoulders, and as previously mentioned, a small cranium. But it was the face, it’s mere countenance that would turn anyone’s blood into ice-cold milk. Protruding eyes with diminutive black pupils, a pug nose, and a puckish grin that exposed about half a dozen crooked little teeth. It was covered in blood of course, but also in a dark yellow, oily substance.
    Several minutes passed, both the alien and the woman staring at one another, breathing heavily. Her body, numb with shock, finally began to move without taking her eyes off of it. She remembered the shotgun her husband had kept just a few feet away in the closet, loaded and ready for an any intruder. Neither of them could have ever imagined one quite like this however. She inched her way slowly towards the closet, the monster still watching her, slid the closet door open with a tremulous hand, and quickly grabbed the gun. The alien’s grin widened, revealing several more malevolent teeth, almost as if to say, “Yeah baby, Bring it on!”
    She found that the only way to possibly steady herself enough to fire accurately, was to somehow transform her absolute terror in to anger. Stepping closer, she resolved that she would have to destroy this wretched little beast that just took her loved one’s life. Now or never. A split second before the deafening crack of the shotgun, it had already sprung out of the cadaver effortlessly and was out of bedroom. She could hear what sounded like a very fast dog slipping and sliding on a wet floor and recovering itself, as she went after it. But when she reached the hallway, it was gone. She followed the trail of orange blood all the way towards the back door, which was closed, but noticed that the flap to the doggy door was coated with the greasy film. Their Scottish Terrier, Andy, came up from the basement after hearing the commotion, but was more interested in licking up the substance than chasing after the invader or protecting his master. She hesitated for a moment before looking outside her kitchen window, carefully scanning the yard, but saw nothing move.
    Her fear returned, and she forgot about revenge for the time being. She immediately looked around the room to find something to cover the doggy door with and saw a large box of books that she had yet to unpack. After pushing it hard against the door, she collapsed onto the floor and began to sob hysterically, trying desperately to wake herself from this wicked dream. After a while, she pulled herself up beside the box, trying to control her electrified nerves, so that she could clear her head enough to think about what to do next. As she did this, her tormentor quickly peered in at her through one of the windows, but was gone again before she noticed.
    Fortunately, the two children were spending the night at a friend’s house. How they both loved their father. How would she even begin explaining something like this to them, or to anyone! Then slowly and painfully, causing her heart to race even more, her dilemma of how this would have to be explained to the authorities was realized. She had to start thinking. Fast.
    She got up and walked back to the bedroom to examine the body of her husband. Her husband of twelve short years. To be sure, anyone who saw it would come to the obvious conclusion that the crater in his stomach was caused by the turkey load, for she had fired directly at him.
    For several minutes she just knelt next to him and wept, whispering to him, “Oh honey what’s happened? What’s happened? What am I gonna do without you? She kissed his cold, moist forehead.
    Her husband had always been honest to a fault, and expected no less from his family. But now she was about to make up the biggest story of her life, and wasn’t even sure she could pull it off, for she was never a good liar. “I…I just can’t be locked up for this! My children need me! The clock was ticking.
    She wiped her tears with her sleeve and began to pace the bedroom. OK, obviously, it was a burglar who did this. Anyone can see that. This was just a botched robbery attempt, that’s all. Simple as that!
    She went over to the window and studied it. It was the older kind that could easily slide open from the outside if unlocked. She took a tee shirt from the top dresser drawer and carefully wiped for any fingerprints of hers after opening it. She would explain that the perpetrator had been wearing leather gloves. She then decided it was necessary to scatter some of her belongings here and there, as if the perp had been rummaging for valuables, but couldn’t find any. Yes, that’s what made him angry enough to kill. My husband told him we had nothing but he didn’t believe him. When he tried to get out of bed, that’s when the burglar shot him. Then he went out the same window. I think that sounds plausible enough.
    Now all that was left for her to do was find a suitable hiding place for the weapon. It would have to be buried in the yard, no doubt about that. She had watched enough crime shows to know that the house would be searched thoroughly. She also needed to be certain that no one would see her out in the yard. There was only one house right next to theirs, and there were no lights on inside or out. Yes, that’s right! Thank goodness they’re out of town this weekend!
    Time was running out and she had to hurry before calling 911. She pushed the box aside and cautiously opened the door. Half way to the tool shed she froze. Incredibly, she had completely forgotten about the creature for a while, and now realized that It could very well be hiding in there, perhaps waiting to attack her! But for all she knew, as fast as that little troll could run, it could also be in the next county by now. She looked from side to side, and over both shoulders before continuing. The door creaked and groaned unbearably as she nudged it open with the barrel of her Remington. She held it with an iron grip. She swept a cob web from her face and hair as she searched for the shovel by the sliver of moonlight that was available. She found it right away and got out of the creepy shed as fast as she could, and then found a spot by the garden that would do just nicely. When she was done, she place the shovel exactly where she found it and ran into the house to dial 911. She rehearsed what she would say for just a few seconds before calling. They arrived in less than ten minutes.
    There were two a uniformed policeman who arrived along with a detective. A CSI guy came in about ten minutes after them, and was nothing like any of the cast members of the TV show. He certainly wasn’t sexy and didn’t seem very intelligent or sure of himself either. The detective introduced himself, as Sinopoli. He had a pock-marked face and a large white mustache, and was probably in his late fifties, though he sounded much younger.
    The were both seated in the living room, he on the edge of her husband’s favorite recliner, and she on the sofa. He gave her as much time as she needed to gather her thoughts before starting.
    “Mrs. Wilson, I can’t even begin to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. Working most of my life in a small town, I haven’t seen anything this...this horrible in many years.”
    “Thank you.”
    “Now, I realize you’re still in quite a state of shock. But if possible, I’d like you to do you’re best to tell me exactly what happened with as many details as possible while it’s still somewhat fresh in your mind. The sooner we have these, the sooner we can find this monster and put him away for life.
    She started at the word “monster” but he didn’t take notice, for he was writing something in his fat little notebook. She just sat quietly for a while, staring at the wall next to her, chewing her thumbnail. She saw flashes coming from the bedroom.
    “Can we get you something to drink before we begin?” he asked as he tenderly patted her forearm.
    “No, thank you. I’ll be alright.” she said sniffling a little and wiping both eyes.
    “Well…. I heard….the man after he came in through the window. I was terrified and didn’t move, you know, just wanted to pretend to be asleep until he left. But Doug, my husband, woke up just a few minutes after he broke in. The man demanded that we tell him where there was cash hidden or any other valuables like jewelry, or small stuff that he could carry away with him in his pockets. But when we told him that we didn’t have anything, he became very agitated. And when Doug started to get out of bed….that’s when he was shot.”
    “Do you have any valuables? Any cash kept around the house?”
    “Yes. Some.”
    “Why didn’t you just give them to him?”
    She paused before giving an answer. “I… don’t know. I guess we weren’t thinking, we were so scared I suppose. I think Doug just panicked and that’s why he was about to do something. He’s not the type of guy to just let things happen. He wanted to protect me.”
    “What time did this happen?” She had anticipated this question indeed.
    “Around two-thirty.”
    “Why did you wait so long to call?” There was no accusation in his tone, at least none that she was aware of, but the question caught her completely off guard. Now, her whole sense of time was completely off kilter. I have no idea what time it really happened. What time did I call? I called around three-thirty! Now that she thought about it, an hour seemed a ridiculous amount of time to have waited to call. What was I thinking!
    “You said he came in through the bedroom widow?”
    “That’s right.”
    “Do you usually keep your windows and doors locked.”
    “Yes…I mean no. No…I mean most of the time.” She looked down, and from that precise moment the first seed of doubt was planted in his mind.
    “Can you show me which window he came through?”
    “Of course.” She lead him into the bedroom and became numb with astonishment when she saw that that the window was closed. She slowly stepped towards it with her mouth agape.
    “This window was open! I swear!”
    “Neither of us closed it ma’am” said one of the uniformed officers as he quickly chewed his gum. “It was like that when we came in.”
    Detective Sinopoli observed every inch of the room trying to absorb as many details as possible. She had been careful to wipe the hardwood floor in the hallway leading to the back door, since there were no recognizable footprints that the creature had left behind, only irregular, messy splotches. Strangely though, he almost seemed to be following the trail as if it were still there. As he did this, the gum chewing officer told him that he was going outside to join the other and help inspect the outside of the house. He nodded in affirmation as he examined the door while moving the box out of the way. He swept his fingers over a small corner of the door where he thought he saw something. He noticed some of the gelatinous material and rubbed his forefinger and thumb together. He turned to the woman and asked why the box was there in front of the door. Did she think this small object would really keep anyone out? She only shrugged her shoulders.
    After the body had been transported, he took his time examining the bedroom and everything surrounding the bed. More of the substance was found under it. He stood still as if listening to something. He almost thought he heard a faint sound coming from the bathroom upstairs. His climbed the stairs cautiously, his head cocked to one side straining to hear something But then there was nothing. Right as he was about to grab the doorknob…
    “Sinopoli!”
    “Yeah?”
    “We just spoke with the neighbor. I think you’d be very interested in what she’s got to say.”
    As one of the officers placed the handcuffs on Mrs. Wilson and read the Miranda rights to her, Mrs. Eaton, the garrulous neighbor was recounting the entire sequence of events to the detective.
    “Well Detective, I actually wasn’t even going to be home until tomorrow evening. But Jerry became ill and we had to cut our visit with my parents in New Jersey a little short. Actually I think he was quite glad about that if you ask me!” she complained as she took a long drag of her cigarette and turned her head to one side to exhale.
    “Seems he’s always getting sick at just the right time, and I just can’t argue with him. Ya know what I mean? Drives me batty! But anyways, as I was saying, I woke up this morning when I thought I heard something. It kinda sounded like a really big firecracker! But I really thought it was probably only a dream. I have very vivid dreams sometimes. When I was a kid, I would be late for school all the time because I would be in such a heavy sleep in the morning and I would confuse my dreams with reality and end up getting up at half past nine! But that’s why I didn’t call anyone. I feel terrible about it now!”
    “What time do you think that happened?”
    “Well, it’s hard to say. One thirty maybe? Two? I don‘t know”
    “What did you see after that?”
    “Well, it was the craziest thing! I couldn’t go back to sleep, so I decided to make some coffee and maybe watch a little television. Old reruns of The Outer Limits come on around that time, that show really creeps me out sometimes, but sometimes they’re kinda interesting, ya know? Anyways, as I was scooping the coffee grounds…I tell you it was the craziest thing! I thought I still might have been dreaming. I saw what looked like Mrs. Wilson doing some gardening or something. In her bathrobe this early in the morning! Can you believe it? But she was digging like a mad woman! Then she put something in the ground, but I couldn’t tell what it was, because it was too dark. I tell ya these light bulbs are supposed to last five years, but that’s just nonsense! And they’re so expensive! I had completely run out and hadn’t gotten a chance to replace them. Well anyways, after she buried this, whatever it was, she ran back inside. And then you guys showed up. You know, I always thought she was a little bit strange you know. Very quiet. She doesn’t really like to talk to me for some reason.”
    “Mrs. Eaton, thank you very much for your cooperation.”

The house now appeared to be empty. After the gun had been sealed in a plastic bag and properly labeled, the CSI guy had packed up his equipment after scanning every room in the house. Every room except one that is. One that was locked for some unknown reason. He had thought this was very strange at the time, but failed to report this to anyone. This had been his very first actual crime scene, and he was terribly nervous, and when told that Mrs. Wilson was indeed the prime suspect because of the weapon that had been recovered, he had simply forgotten about it. Had he opened it earlier however, he might have discovered something very bizarre indeed. Something that may have vindicated our prime suspect. He may have discovered a baby-like creature in the bathtub grinning maliciously, enjoying the cool gentle breeze coming from the half-opened window as he washed himself of his host’s blood.

Not sure how I feel....

A good read, but as you know I'm not really into this kind of stories. It had me on the edge of my seat. I'll write down note and make some suggestions when I see you at work.

Thanks Lady. Have a good night off!

Blog Entries
    This is very entertaining and extremely well written. I thoroughly enjoyed it. But if you could put a line break between paragraphs in future it would make for easier reading, given the constraints of layout in the forum's threads.

Good stuff!

live and be well - H

That was pretty amusing. This reader doesn't necessarily see some of Mrs. Wilson's reactions as... realistic, but that's besides the point.

For some reason, the part where she's sobbing by the doggy door and the 'thing' looks in on her without her knowing, well, that was really creepy. And the dog licking up the 'placenta'... saw it coming a half step before you wrote it, and was already cringing. Nice touch.

Feel a little robbed by the ending, though. The thing is just 'bathing'? After all that? And surely the police would be able to tell from the stomach wound that it wasn't a gunshot- but this reader doesn't care about that, so long as it makes for a good story.

You're a sick man!

J

Thanks for the comments Jack. I think I meant to imply that she actually did shoot her husband with the gun when trying to kill the creature. Guess I screwed that one up though.
    As far as the ending goes, it did have a point. As silly as the story was, my main idea was that it's always better to tell the truth even if you don't think anyone will believe you. The police might have found the creature in the bathroom, and the main character would have been exonerated, but the story she made up just got her deeper into trouble.

Thanks for the comment Hawk. I'll try to keep the paragraph breaks in mind next time I post.

Ahhhh! Creepy! How the hell didn't he know not to unlock the bloody door! Fool! I should have his head skewed onto a spear for the crows to enjoy. XP Awesome read.

Thank you!