Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lokasenna's Poetry Thread

I love it.

Heheh. It's not perverted, it's just boyish. This reader read it with a half-grin.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts View Post
    Heheh. It's not perverted, it's just boyish. This reader read it with a half-grin.

J
    It's interesting that it's only wonderful because it's Lokasenna's. I don't even want to think about the effect it could have if someone else had done something of this nature.

Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post
    It's interesting that it's only wonderful because it's Lokasenna's. I don't even want to think about the effect it could have if someone else had done something of this nature.
    Well, this reads oddly warped and bizarre. Who cares that Lokasenna wrote it? Lokasenna is the smallest part of the equation, in this reader's opinion. He just happens to be some guy who writes some pretty darn good poems.

But, it should be said that based on most of his posts that this reader has read, Lokasenna seems to be a pretty nice/cool guy. But that really doesn't matter for his poems.

Drunks and jerks have written some pretty good words too. Heck, in the age of postmodernism, they've categorically dominated it.

J

EDIT: As an aside, the context of 'drinking song' that Lokasenna provided really helped with the reading of this, though.
    Last edited by Jack of Hearts; 12-31-2011 at 01:40 AM.

Well, this reads oddly warped and bizarre. Who cares that Lokasenna wrote it? Lokasenna is the smallest part of the equation, in this reader's opinion. He just happens to be some guy who writes some pretty darn good poems.

But, it should be said that based on most of his posts that this reader has read, Lokasenna seems to be a pretty nice/cool guy. But that really doesn't matter for his poems.

Drunks and jerks have written some pretty good words too. Heck, in the age of postmodernism, they've categorically dominated it.

J

EDIT: As an aside, the context of 'drinking song' that Lokasenna provided really helped with the reading of this, though.

I don't think you really feel that way Jack. If someone else wrote, "I have a very mighty ****," it just wouldn't seem credible, I'd never get the imagery quite right. And the other thing is, I wouldn't describe this poem as boyish in any way.

I'm not sure what drinking has to do with it, other than Lokasenna had obviously been into the Pimms, getting a head start on New Year's Eve, when he posted this.

I don't think you really feel that way Jack. If someone else wrote, "I have a very mighty ****," it just wouldn't seem credible, I'd never get the imagery quite right. And the other thing is, I wouldn't describe this poem as boyish in any way.

I'm not sure what drinking has to do with it, other than Lokasenna had obviously been into the Pimms, getting a head start on New Year's Eve, when he posted this.
    Ah. Fair enough, you're allowed to hypothesize about how this reader actually 'feels.' Apparently you think Jack of Hearts has a motive to be disingenuous, though. On the contrary; his readings of others' works don't even try for objectivity. They're purely subjective, and that's as honest as it gets.

This post will be relevant in just a moment so as not to derail the thread. Maybe logic will assuage your concerns?

Lokasenna had the sense to provide a context to this poem. This reader admits, had it been posted randomly on the board without this, and had Jack of Hearts been properly motivated to read it and respond (not always a guarantee), he probably would've panned it as a failed attempt at humor.

Now, if the same context was there, in that it borrows much from an old, old bawdy song and that it's essentially a drinking song, it would've most likely gotten the same reaction given in this thread. This reader called it boyish because he imagined a bunch of men gathered round in 'ye aulde pub' singing this, these fundamentally filthy words, and having a good laugh about it. Saying dirty words and laughing, to this reader, seems rather boyish. In the same way laughing at a fart is boyish. And most grown men, at least the ones this reader would want to drink with, know there's a time to embrace these things again. Because they never really left us in the first place, they're just tucked away until the right people aren't looking.

J
    Last edited by Jack of Hearts; 12-31-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Ah. Fair enough, you're allowed to hypothesize about how this reader actually 'feels.' Apparently you think Jack of Hearts has a motive to be disingenuous, though. On the contrary; his readings of others' works don't even try for objectivity. They're purely subjective, and that's as honest as it gets.

This post will be relevant in just a moment so as not to derail the thread. Maybe logic will assuage your concerns?

Lokasenna had the sense to provide a context to this poem. This reader admits, had it been posted randomly on the board without this, and had Jack of Hearts been properly motivated to read it and respond (not always a guarantee), he probably would've panned it as a failed attempt at humor.

Now, if the same context was there, in that it borrows much from an old, old bawdy song and that it's essentially a drinking song, it would've most likely gotten the same reaction given in this thread. This reader called it boyish because he imagined a bunch of men gathered round in 'ye aulde pub' singing this, these fundamentally filthy words, and having a good laugh about it. Saying dirty words and laughing, to this reader, seems rather boyish. In the same way laughing at a fart is boyish. And most grown men, at least the ones this reader would want to drink with, know there's a time to embrace these things again. Because they never really left us in the first place, they're just tucked away until the right people aren't looking.

J
    No Jack, I think you're misinterpreting this poem. I think you're twisting some of the imagery. To me, "laughing" and "dirty" doesn't come into play with this, (the preamble to the poem, aside.)

Uhh...

Quote Originally Posted by kensington
    I don't think you really feel that way Jack.
    ... and, afterward this...

No Jack, I think you're misinterpreting this poem. I think you're twisting some of the imagery.
    So this readers feelings are false and his perceptions are wrong?

Granted, some of the imagery and other content might be too sophisticated for Jack of Hearts' poor little brain, but unless he's mistaken... it's a drinking song (from the context) that's centered around double entendre that involves a rooster and a penis.

To me, "laughing" and "dirty" doesn't come into play with this, (the preamble to the poem, aside.)
    If you think these lines weren't intended to be juvenile, filthy and invoke laughter... uh, maybe we'll just have to agree that we don't see eye to eye with our interpretations.

J
    Last edited by Jack of Hearts; 12-31-2011 at 03:29 AM.

Uhh...

... and, afterward this...

So this readers feelings are false and his perceptions are wrong?

Afraid you aren't making much sense. Granted, some of the imagery and other content might be too sophisticated for Jack of Hearts' poor little brain, but unless he's mistaken... it's a drinking song (from the context) that's centered around double entendre that involves a rooster and a penis.

If you think these lines weren't intended to be juvenile, filthy and invoke laughter... uh, maybe we'll just have to admit we don't see eye to eye with our interpretations.

J
    If you close your eyes and see it from a slightly different angle, then you'll get a fuller and more accurate appreciation of the poem. Anyway, it comes naturally to me.

If you close your eyes and see it from a slightly different angle, then you'll get a fuller and more accurate appreciation of the poem. Anyway, it comes naturally to me.
    ... wtf?

Ok, you... err, win. Whatever you wanted when you initiated this exchange, you can have it.

Thanks for sharing Lokasenna. Bye.

J

If you think these lines weren't intended to be juvenile, filthy and invoke laughter... uh, maybe we'll just have to agree that we don't see eye to eye with our interpretations.

J
    It did make me laugh. But it's not juvenile or filthy to me, not at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    For the benefits of the moderators, this a song about a farmer who is very proud of his much-respected rooster. Honest.

... wtf?

Ok, you... err, win.

This is great stuff.

Incidentally, I agree with Jack's assessment that the preamble was really key to this poem. Without context it would have been a bit eye-roll worthy, but reading it in the right mindframe made it brilliant. I know a few people who recite bawdy poetry after they've had a few, they'd love this.
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 12-31-2011 at 04:27 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    I know a few people who recite bawdy poetry after they've had a few, they'd love this.
    Just remember that it's not free for the taking.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    And a wizard's staff has a knob on the end

Great fun Loki.

Live and be well - H
    I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    I hope it was worth the wait! You're absolutely right about the setting and nature of it - there should be plenty of beer, plenty of volume, and plenty of laughter. It is a boyish drinking song all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper
    Incidentally, I agree with Jack's assessment that the preamble was really key to this poem. Without context it would have been a bit eye-roll worthy, but reading it in the right mindframe made it brilliant. I know a few people who recite bawdy poetry after they've had a few, they'd love this.
    Fantastic! If you and yours decide to sing it after a few, I'd be utterly delighted! I had great fun roaring out the prototype version... And yes, I thought the preamble was necessary to make it clear that I'm not some sort of ridiculous adolescent trying to compensate for something...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    I thought it was delightful! I smiled throughout.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast