Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Books about being mad at the world?

Thanks for your suggestions. I take it I'm not the only one here who's been "mad at the world" so to say.

Many novels by Dostoevsky

Dicken's Scrooge in "A Christmas Carol" is an obvious example.

Sinclair Lewis's "Main Street". Although the main character didn't hate the entire world, only small town psychology and the monotony of it all.
    -Mariamosis

Quote Originally Posted by sixsmith View Post
    Sabbath's Theatre - Philip Roth
    Looked it up on Amazon. Sounds hardcore. Will check it out.

"Les Chants de Maldoror" by Comte de Lautréamont

also, "Notes From Underground" was a good suggestion

I would think that if you were feeling resentful you would prefer some suggestions of books that provoke happiness. Although it may help to read books in which you can easily sympathize with the characters, it might be healthier to generate bliss rather than further your resentment...unless, of course, that resentment has reason; for without reason, there can be no knowledge, and without knowledge, there is only ignorance, and ignorance is the root and stem of all evil.

As for the book suggestions, I can't think of any that involve characters that are mainly "mad at the world" so to speak throughout the story. But then I guess we need to define that phrase, don't we? You probably don't mean that you are angry at the physical world; I doubt it has done anything to provoke you. I can see a few probable meanings, though: Perhaps you are mad at the people in the world, or more specifically politicians or government, or maybe even close friends or family. Or you could be angry with God, or gods, if you have any (not to get into religion too deeply, though). I suppose there is always that ambiguous psychological tendency to be angry without reason; you might not know what you're mad at, or who. You might simply be angry, but likely this hollow emotion would not last long. The mind, though, is incredibly susceptible to confusion.

Sorry for getting so philosophical; you didn't ask for it, but when I read "mad at the world" I couldn't help but ask a few questions.

Notes from Underground obviously popped into my head immediately.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Wasp Factory is a bizarre one.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Castle, by Kafka.

It's the only Kafka I've read, but from what I hear, all his work is suitable for your predicament.

Also, I totally sympathize - when I am in your condition (I know you weren't asking for music but I can't help it) I listen to the early work of a musician called Elliott Smith. Sorry to go off topic.

I'll get back on topic by suggesting Tropic of Cancer, by Henry Miller. It's not exactly angry, but it's very 'outsider', chaotic and freewheeling.

Victory by Joseph Conrad - if Schopenhauer had a son he would be Axel Hyst. He can't be bothered doing anything, so he drifts around the world until he drifts into running a mining company on a desert island. The company collapses, everyone leaves, except him! Separate enough for you? Actually he seems reasonably content on his island, it only gets really bad when a woman and four nasty villains get involved...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12