Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are natural disasters acts of God?

Blog Entries

Are natural disasters acts of God?

What is the general thought about the eathquake in Haiti? Was it an act of God or a natural disaster?
    Last edited by Buh4Bee; 01-15-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: just was offensive- sorry for that.

Blog Entries
    As in the sense of punishment, no. As in the sense that everything is an act of God, yes.

Blog Entries
    I saw the Pat Robertson thing on the news, and it made me feel very, very sad. I just don't understand how some people respond to things like this.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

A natural disaster clearly - there is science that explains it...

Pat Robertson, I think, really feels that he has some authority on worldly things, due to his spiritual experiences, and I think he maybe wanted to exhibit his "wisdom." I think we have every reason to believe it was seismic stuff happening, and not particularly directed (by anyone or anything) at the people of Haiti.
    Last edited by billl; 01-15-2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: worldly

Blog Entries
    There are only a few people in this world I'd like to inflict physical pain on and Pat Robertson tops the list.

He's a vile human being.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5TE99sAbwM
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    I heard the Pat Robertson broadcast and I was appalled. Is this man living in the Dark Ages?

In defense, if it wasn't for the fact that Haiti fought to free their country from slavery, then the whole Louisiana Purchase would not have taken place to begin with...so if you look at it that way, the growth of our country in size historically was due to the fact that they won their freedom. If one considers the US' growth as destiny and an act of God, then one must also consider their freedom as such...therefore, it pretty much deflates Robinson's confluted theory or belief that the nation of Haiti is being punished. You can research the history online.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

An act of God ?

Cynic: What do the insurance adjusters and lawyers say?

re: Pat Robertson: Sigh. I might cite to him part of a church hymn I love "Who am I to judge another when I walk imperfectly" (the rest is here: http://www.onlymormon.com/Hymns/220/ ) [and afterwards re-iterate the hymn to myself for my transgression].

I agree with what NikolaiI stated:
    As in the sense that everything is an act of God, yes.
    I believe in a divine plan; and part of that plan includes trials and tribulations for the benefit of His people; which can be a difficult principle for even those of faith to truly understand.
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tailor STATELY View Post
    I believe in a divine plan; and part of that plan includes trials and tribulations for the benefit of His people; which can be a difficult principle for even those of faith to truly understand.
    Because it doesn't make events like this any more understandable than honestly admitting that the innocent suffer greatly in our indifferent universe. It merely panders to our cozy Western notion of entitlement to say that things are meant to be the way they are.

It sounds complacent and defeatist to me to say that there's a divine plan that involves the economic exploitation and political oppression of the Haitian people, as well as the seismic activity that has created unimaginable suffering in that already precarious environment. The religious viewpoint that tragedy is "all part of a divine plan" is inhumane, because it trivializes the suffering of the innocent.

Regards,

Istvan

I say this an an atheist and not to offend anyone's beliefs.

There is, in my own and therefore limited opinion, no such thing as a will of god-there is no god.

This was a natural disaster. The man is a fool, and a despicable excuse for a human being.

biting writer
    I have been around these forums long enough to understand their reactionary nature, but I would ask the thread starter: Did you even consider that this might be offensive to Haitians who might be worried about family and friends? I am not talking about belief here, or even tracking the media which drops its hat at the door of the Christian Right every time its preachers rattle the cage, I am talking about good manners, and I am sorry, but this topic flunks that test.

www.markbastable.co.uk MarkBastable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jersea View Post
    What is the general thought about the eathquake in Haiti? Was it an act of God or just a natural disaster?
    ...'just a natural disaster'?? You mean, if God was involved then all those deaths would carry some significance - but if not, well, it's just a natural disaster.

Well, good for the church to try and act of god this - conveniently God stuck a vastly Roman Catholic country (about 80-85% of the population) whereas "heathens" elsewhere get nothing. Talk about divine justice.

Seriously though, they said the same nonsense about Katrina in New Orleans which was just as ridiculous - the Job argument is misinterpreted anyway - it seems to have become an excuse for God everywhere, but historical Jewish scholarship treated it completely differently, some scholars even writing about Job's past crimes, and the diagram as a discussion showing that justice always comes to those who transgress, just sometimes not in the way we think.

Really though, the fact that a "divine plan" caused this seems to me beyond scary - I wouldn't want to live in a world that was governed by such principles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    I saw the Pat Robertson thing on the news, and it made me feel very, very sad. I just don't understand how some people respond to things like this.
    Please, I ask as a Christian, do not judge all or even most Christians based on this man's ignorance. According to Luke 13, Jesus made a point that people are not punished on earth for their sins. The most that I could say is that people do, however, have to endure any consequences for their actions, but I can't see any human action causing this. If one would want to blame people for being stupid enough to live in a flood plain, or near an active volcano, then maybe they have to live with that, but God did not use this earthquake to punish anyone.
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

The religious viewpoint that tragedy is "all part of a divine plan" is inhumane, because it trivializes the suffering of the innocent.
    There is, in my own and therefore limited opinion, no such thing as a will of god-there is no god.
    Really though, the fact that a "divine plan" caused this seems to me beyond scary - I wouldn't want to live in a world that was governed by such principles.
    To the above three quotes: I humbly agree to disagree with you. This is a true humility, so please do not be offended.

Now the below quote I agree with, again, with a repentant heart:

Please, I ask as a Christian, do not judge all or even most Christians based on this man's (Pat Robertson's) ignorance. According to Luke 13, Jesus made a point that people are not punished on earth for their sins. The most that I could say is that people do, however, have to endure any consequences for their actions, but I can't see any human action causing this. If one would want to blame people for being stupid enough to live in a flood plain, or near an active volcano, then maybe they have to live with that, but God did not use this earthquake to punish anyone.
    Re:
    I have been around these forums long enough to understand their reactionary nature, but I would ask the thread starter: Did you even consider that this might be offensive to Haitians who might be worried about family and friends? I am not talking about belief here, or even tracking the media which drops its hat at the door of the Christian Right every time its preachers rattle the cage, I am talking about good manners, and I am sorry, but this topic flunks that test.
    Today 03:05 AM
    Ah, the true voice of reason, thank you for bringing me to my senses for continuing to beat this poor horse.

All y'all have a good discussion, I'm out'a here to put my money where my mouth is.
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast