Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are natural disasters acts of God?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    I was rather hoping for an answer from someone who does believe that the universe only has meaning with a god in it, because I want to know how that connection works. I already understand that you don't think it works, so you're unlikely to have a view as to why it might.
    Fare enough. I don't mean to be in a discussion I am not invited to.I thought It was an open discussion. But I find some of the observations here quie interesting.
    Last edited by ozhansean; 01-16-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    I say it's a natural disaster and not because I'm an atheist (lower case "a" because the upper case seems to be a non-religious religion), but because I don't see why the Judeo-Christian God (I'm sorry, but this is the only God that I am familiar with) would give man choice and then interfere. How could the final judgement be based on man's actions alone, if God interferes?

Maybe I don't understand the religion fully and if that's the case then correct me.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

But, thinking for a second of God as existing, why would it not be natural? God created Nature, islands, earthquakes, whatever, and gave them freedom to act, and then Earthquake wakes up one day and says oh let's destroy Haiti (or any other place that has been subject to an earthquake - there was a quite major one in central Italy last April - whole villages and a whole city centre were destroyed too, although "only" around 300 people died and of course there's no comparison with the conditions in poor Haiti). Why is that not natural? Can't it be natural even if there is a God? Does natural have to exclude divine? I think I was taught it was the same thing, nature is a divine creation. (I am an atheist by choice but raised as a Catholic in an extremely Catholic country).
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiI View Post
    Consider, Istvan - what is discord at one level of being is harmony at another level. Consider the small creatures in the blood stream of a human or animal body. They fight and kill each other, and at that level it is discord, but at the level of the greater organism it is harmony. Similarly, what may seem like discord on the level of our perception is harmony at another level of being, where we may see that life moves on no matter what, and that every part of the whole is whole in itself...
    Interesting perspective. But again, doesn't it trivialize the suffering of the innocent by making it simply part of the greater harmony? Isn't the Buddhist's sole aim to alleviate suffering?

The fact that many compassionate people of various philosophical and religious stripes have donated their money and effort to alleviate the suffering in Haiti is evidence that they do, in fact, consider this suffering more than a mere detail in "God's plan" or a blip in the "greater harmony."

Regards,

Istvan

www.markbastable.co.uk MarkBastable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ozhansean View Post
    Fare enough. I don't mean to be in a discussion I am not invited to.I thought It was an open discussion. But I find some of the observations here quie interesting.
    I'm sorry - I didn't mean that you shouldn't contribute. I meant that I was hoping that someone who does believe it's true would say why they do, rather than someone who doesn't saying why they don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Babbalanja View Post
    The fact that many compassionate people of various philosophical and religious stripes have donated their money and effort to alleviate the suffering in Haiti is evidence that they do, in fact, consider this suffering more than a mere detail in "God's plan" or a blip in the "greater harmony."
    Donations are acts of kindness. When we reach out to others, we're not trying to proof anything or make a religious statement other than simply to help those in need.

"But do you really, seriously, Major Scobie," Dr. Sykes asked, "believe in hell?"
    "Oh, yes, I do."
    "In flames and torment?"
    "Perhaps not quite that. They tell us it may be a permanent sense of loss."
    "That sort of hell wouldn't worry me," Fellowes said.
    "Perhaps you've never lost anything of importance," Scobie said.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Are you still discussing wheter what happened in Haiti was an act of God or a natural disaster? Because I think it was a natural disaster. Or unnatural. I don't believe thare was any meaning behind the act, but there is certainly great meaning, and suffering, now.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

No. According to Wikipedia 'an Earthquake is the result of a sudden release of energy in the Earth's crust that creates seismic waves.' Apparently, scientists have monitored these things for a while now. The death and suffering experienced by the Haitian people has no meaning.
    'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.' - Groucho Marx

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234