View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Sedaris Book?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barrel Fever and Other Stories

0 0%
  • Naked

0 0%
  • Holidays On Ice

0 0%
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day

6 60.00%
  • Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

2 20.00%
  • I love them all equally.

1 10.00%
  • I don't like David Sedaris!

1 10.00%

Thread: David Sedaris

Blog Entries

David Sedaris

Well, it's official... I own nearly everything David Sedaris has written.

Why, you ask, do I tell you this?

Because this is a fan topic, that's why! That, and I couldn't think of a better intro.

So, for those of you who don't know, David Sedaris is an american satirist, the author of five, (soon to be six), books of essays. These books are:

Barrel Fever and Other Stories
    Naked
    Holidays on Ice
    Me Talk Pretty One Day
    Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

All of these books are hilarious and totally worth reading.

What do you guys think of David Sedaris?
    Deus ex Machina

My Stephen King Fansite

Blog Entries
    I voted for C and Denim because it's the only one I've read. It was very good though and I have been meaning to read the rest of his books. I was introduced to David Sedaris through This American Life I think it was, and I enjoyed listening to his pieces on that show.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Shalot View Post
    I voted for C and Denim because it's the only one I've read. It was very good though and I have been meaning to read the rest of his books. I was introduced to David Sedaris through This American Life I think it was, and I enjoyed listening to his pieces on that show.
    Basically all of this applies to me. I also had read some of his stuff in the New Yorker and have recently bought Me Talk Pretty One Day, which I'll hopefully read over the summer. I listened to the audio version of Corduroy and Denim, read by the author - an experience for which there really is no substitute. His reading is hilarious. My favorite is probably "Six to Eight Black Men", but they're all vastly entertaining.

nobody said it was easy barbara0207's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesian View Post
    read by the author - an experience for which there really is no substitute. His reading is hilarious.
    Couldn't agree more. I first discovered David Sedaris when I was looking for an audiobook as a present for a friend. I was so enthusiastic that I bought one for me as well. It was "Me Talk Pretty One Day".

Last Christmas I bought the book "Holiday on Ice" because I was looking for a funny story for my Christmas reading in our town's castle. For that reason I had to buy the German translation, of course. I was very disappointed. The stories didn't make me laugh the way the audiobook did. I'm not quite sure whether it was actually the stories that weren't funny or whether the humour was lost in translation or whether it was Sedaris' way of reading - perhaps all three.
    O schaurig ists übers Moor zu gehn,
    wenn es wimmelt vom Heiderauche,
    sich wie Phantome die Dünste drehn
    und die Ranke häkelt am Strauche.

Annette von Droste-Hülshoff (1797 - 1843) (see avatar) Der Knabe im Moor/The Lad in the Moor

Blog Entries
    I'd try reading another one of his longer books, Barbara. DYFICAD, (Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim), is a great one, and Naked is one of the funniest of his. All of them are excellent.

Holidays on Ice is too short, and three of them are short stories rather than essays. I like his short stories, but his Essays are the best.
    Deus ex Machina

My Stephen King Fansite

nobody said it was easy barbara0207's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabird111 View Post
    I'd try reading another one of his longer books, Barbara. DYFICAD, (Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim), is a great one, and Naked is one of the funniest of his. All of them are excellent.
    Right, I'll have a go at them in the summer holidays (if I can lay my hands on them). Thanks, Seabird.
    O schaurig ists übers Moor zu gehn,
    wenn es wimmelt vom Heiderauche,
    sich wie Phantome die Dünste drehn
    und die Ranke häkelt am Strauche.

Annette von Droste-Hülshoff (1797 - 1843) (see avatar) Der Knabe im Moor/The Lad in the Moor

Blog Entries
    You're very welcome.
    Deus ex Machina

My Stephen King Fansite

Blog Entries
    I'm halfway through Me Talk Pretty One Day and read a bunch of articles off the New Yorker. He is supremely entertaining.

I read all of the New Yorker ones that you can get free online (great value!). All were great (except I think I thought a couple of them were merely pretty good). I wouldn't mind having the books around, so I could have another reliable source when I feel like a burst of 5 or 10 pages is all I want to read--but haven't bought any yet. I think my favorite was about a plane flight (actually, two of my favorites were, if I remember right).

I recently read 'Me Talk Pretty One Day.' It was rather inconsistent but I was brought to tears on several occasions. Aside from the deadpan portrayal of his younger brother, the author's attempt to learn passable French was very much a highlight.
    'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.' - Groucho Marx

David Sedaris is fun! I have read Dress Your Family... and Me Talk Pretty...
    "He lives most gaily who knows best how to deceive himself. Ha-ha!"
    - CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
    (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)

I picked up a collection of short stories titled When You Are Engulfed In Flames by the author at hand a couple of months ago. I have only read the first four stories but I thought a couple were brilliant, one was good, and one was sort of vanilla. I had no idea who he was at the time of purchase but picked it up because I wanted a book of short stories written in modern times, as well as one of the reviews on the back intrigued me to a great degree. "A delightful compilation of essays circling the theme of death and dying, with nods to the French countryside, art collecting and feces." New York Times Book Review.