Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vampire Books that are not Paranormal Romance

Drama Queen
    Carmilla isn't the first story about vampires. The first short story about vampires was John Polidori's The Vampyre written circa 1816. The first full-length seriel novel about vampires was Varney The Vampire written in the 1840s.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermac View Post
    Carmilla isn't the first story about vampires. The first short story about vampires was John Polidori's The Vampyre written circa 1816. The first full-length seriel novel about vampires was Varney The Vampire written in the 1840s.
    All those sound really interesting, I would love to read some more classical works about vampires.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Exiled Pre-Raphaelite Gustavo L.'s Avatar
    Must it be a serious/horror work? If not, I’d suggest a “surreal and darkly humorous odyssey” (as the reviewer at Amazon called it) by Paul Féval, Vampire City (1867). I consider it a classic.

From Amazon:

To save her friends from the dreaded vampire lord Otto Goetzi, gothic author Ann Radcliffe and her fearless vampire hunting companions, Merry Bones the Irishman, Grey Jack the faithful old servant, the revenge-driven Doctor Magnus Szegeli, and Polly Bird, one of the vampire's earlier victims, launch an all-out attack on Selene, the Vampire City...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo L. View Post
    Must it be a serious/horror work? If not, I’d suggest a “surreal and darkly humorous odyssey” (as the reviewer at Amazon called it) by Paul Féval, Vampire City (1867). I consider it a classic.
    No it needs not be serrious/horror. I have read some vampire books which would not qualify as being such.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I love vampire books but also hate steamy romance in them. I don't mind love interests but would rather the details be left up to my imagination. For me, the best Vampire series' that have little, or acceptable amounts, of romance are the Thirst series by Christopher Pike and The Morganville vampire series by Rachel Caine. I literally average about 1 book every day and a half. Most are vampire and paranormal. I've pretty much run out of books in the Genre that are light on the romance. I'd appreciate some suggestions too.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinkleberry2010 View Post
    The only claim to fame I have is that I once lived eight blocks away from Anne Rice on First Street in New Orleans in 1990. What's weird about it is that I happened to be reading her novel The Witching Hour when I discovered she lived on the same street as me.
    Too bad this post is five years old. As weirdness would have it, I was living a couple streets away at the same time. I used to see Rice at a local bookstore. She once autographed a skeleton foot for me (a plastic model for medical students--you can get anything in the French Quarter). I still have the foot. It's a small weird world.

One of my favorite non-traditional vampires is Brian Lumley's Wamphyri, which are introduced in the second book of his Necroscope series and really come into their own as characters when we go to their world in the third. They're pretty much the opposite of current sparkly romantic vampires in every way--they're huge, powerful, and vicious, and rule their own world like medieval warlords from massive aeries, aided by thralls, human slaves/food, and vat-grown creatures.

I've only read the initial five-book Necroscopeseries and the following Vampire World trilogy, and they are enormously entertaining.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkleberry2010 View Post
    I think Stephen King's Salem's Lot is the best vampire book of the latter twentieth century. It's definitely not of the romantic genre type
    I was looking for something to read, and this was the first novel I picked up. It has remained my favorite Stephen King novel.

Blindsight by Peter Watts is hard sci-fi with vampires. The idea is that vampires are an extinct species of predator which fell victim to 'the crucifix glitch' - an inability cope with right angles. They are resurrected via genetic engineering, given 'antieuclideans', and used for their superior intelligence.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but somehow Peter Watts makes it plausible. The book is hard, philosophical sci-fi - the fact that it includes spaceships, vampires and tentacled aliens is almost irrelevant.

Anno Dracula (Kim Newman) looks good, although I have not read any of the series.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ladderandbucket View Post
    Blindsight by Peter Watts is hard sci-fi with vampires. The idea is that vampires are an extinct species of predator which fell victim to 'the crucifix glitch' - an inability cope with right angles. They are resurrected via genetic engineering, given 'antieuclideans', and used for their superior intelligence.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but somehow Peter Watts makes it plausible. The book is hard, philosophical sci-fi - the fact that it includes spaceships, vampires and tentacled aliens is almost irrelevant.

"Inability to cope with right angles"

I love that. I love totally random absurd things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kev67 View Post
    Anno Dracula (Kim Newman) looks good, although I have not read any of the series.
    I remember that one being good, though I didn't know it was a series.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    "Inability to cope with right angles"

I love that. I love totally random absurd things like that.
    I agree. I'm not normally into "hard, philosophical" sci-fi, but I do like when someone takes a totally off-center perspective on something and runs with it.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries
    1766 Pu Songling- Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio
    1819 John Polidori- The Vampyre
    1874 Paul Feval, pere- Vampire City
    1897 Bram Stoker- Dracula
    1954 Richard Matheson- I am Legend
    1973 Anne Rice- Interview with a Vampire
    1975 Stephen King- Salem's Lot
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Blog Entries
    I thought I Am Legend was zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    I thought I Am Legend was zombies.
    The awful movie with Will Smith they're portrayed more like zombies... but just like Will Smith in I, Robot, the movie had very little to do with the original story. In Matheson's I Am Legend the plague that sweeps across the globe causes vampirism, and the protagonist if memory serves refers to them as vampires. Also, unlike the movie where hope remains, the book ends very badly for humankind, or perhaps not depending on your take... humanity isn't dying out, it's simply a mutation and humans are now better for it. Matheson keeps it very scientific and Darwinian; in the end, the protagonist understands the exquisite finality in it.
    Last edited by Iain Sparrow; 04-15-2015 at 02:08 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast