• East of Eden

5 17.86%
  • Jude the Obscure

11 39.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being indecisive.

Being indecisive.

You wonderful people pick my next read.

I have read works by all the authors. I have Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd and Tess under my belt. Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment. Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath.
    Last edited by Adagio; 01-05-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Only an idiot has no grief; only a fool would forget it. What else is there in this world sharp enough to stick to your guts? - Faulkner

No question, Jude every time.

I'd even choose Jude above "Brothers" and C&P.

Blog Entries
    I'm with The Idiot! () (read Jude next though)
    docendo discimus

biting writer
    Ok, I'll play but went with East of Eden because if I have my memory plugged into the title correctly, this is Steinbeck's least beloved novel, and a sympathetic reviewer's attempt to rescue it made me curious.

I had a bad experience with The Idiot, and much of my hate-the great Russian whom I shouldn't hate comes from this novel, though The Double runs a close second; most of the Russians annoy me, with the possible exception of Turgenev, but I am on less familiar terrain with the man who dared quarrel with Tolstoy.
    Last edited by Jozanny; 01-05-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: run on exhaustion...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozanny View Post
    I had a bad experience with The Idiot,
    It wasn't the dreadful Eva M. Martin translation was it?

, with the possible exception of Turgenev, but I am on less familiar terrain with the man who dared quarrel with Tolstoy.
    You'd have thought Tolstoy would have been grateful to Turgenev for discovering him in the first place. I don't think that they actually went through with the duel though.
    docendo discimus

biting writer
    Quote Originally Posted by Red-Headed View Post
    It wasn't the dreadful Eva M. Martin translation was it?
    Possibly, but I definitely had a few bad days with the Gutenberg e-text. Gladys tried to rescue it for me but alas. The discussion molders to this day in the authors' list... I am a bit too buzzed from no sleep from prepping a submission and racing to get my angry cats breakfast, to deal with Dostoevsky, and the elder of my pet children got really pissed, which is unlike him.

Blog Entries
    Possibly, but I definitely had a few bad days with the Gutenberg e-text.
    Well, if you ever fancy having another stab at it I recommend the David Magarshack translation. Dostoyevsky stated that The Idiot was his personal favourite of his own novels. I believe him.
    docendo discimus

Cool All three are good books ....

you should read all of them. But which one first? It depends on your reading background. If you haven't read much Seinbeck, East of Eden isn't the first you should read. Same with Jude. This is not the one to start with ...Far from the Madding Crowd or The Return of the Native are better starters. Reading any Dostoevsky is a pleasure. So The Idiot is as good as any to start with. I have read The Brothers K, Crime and Punishment, The Possessed, The Idiot, and The Gambler all twice. The Only Dostoevsky I wouldn't reread is A Raw Youth. I unequivocally love the Russians. I only need to read Gogol's Dead Souls and some Pushkin to have at least a taste of all. Currently finishing up Tolstoy with Resurrection.

I have read works by all the authors. I have Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd and Tess under my belt. Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment. Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath.

So have no worries about introductions to the writers; I'm just an indecisive git sometimes.
    Only an idiot has no grief; only a fool would forget it. What else is there in this world sharp enough to stick to your guts? - Faulkner

The Idiot is a really good novel. I read it when I was 13 and apart from the normal problem you get reading Russian novels- the names- I found it fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dfloyd View Post
    This is not the one to start with ...Far from the Madding Crowd or The Return of the Native are better starters.
    Personally I would start with Under the Greenwood Tree or The Wessex Tales. Maybe The Mayor of Casterbridge if you are more familiar with the earlier works of Hardy.
    docendo discimus

He has already read Far from the Madding Crowd and Tess. I can see no reason not to read Jude next. I *would* recommend reading "Schopenhauer" by Bryan Magee. It throws great light on Hardy's negative world view & it's relation to Schopenhauer's philosophy. A good one to read between Tess and Jude!

Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    ...... I'm just an indecisive git sometimes.
    Then let Fate decide for you: place all three books on the table; close your eyes; shuffle the books around (no trying to remember which book is which!); take your hands off the books, turn round three times (actually this bit isn't necessary, but it does mean you can't remember which book is where); pick a book; open your eyes and begin reading. Stick to Fate's choice, no thinking, 'Oh I wish it had been....' - it works for me.

Philo-zoon
    I voted East of Eden!The only one I haven't read.
    I REALLY didn't like Jude [was my first and only Hardy though] and the Idiot is heartbreaking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast