Thread: Oscar Wilde work...need help!

Oscar Wilde work...need help!

Hi everyone,
    I love Oscar Wilde and would like to know where this verse is from and when was it published? I have tried searching the web to no avail, I can find the verse but nothing much about it!
    Can anyone help me?
    Here it is:

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.

Thanks to all who reply.:0)

Drama Queen
    I am quite familiar with everything that Wilde wrote. And that does not sound like anything Wilde ever wrote or said. I may be wrong. Maybe he did write it, but I can't recall any work of his wherein that was included.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermac View Post
    I am quite familiar with everything that Wilde wrote. And that does not sound like anything Wilde ever wrote or said. I may be wrong. Maybe he did write it, but I can't recall any work of his wherein that was included.
    Thanks for the reply...but if you google Oscar Wilde's quotes this comes up often, and if you type in the first line, he is again the writer this is attributed to. So...it surprises me that you've never heard of it. Now I'm perplexed!

Drama Queen
    All I can say in reply is that Oscar Wilde made many quotes, some written, some--alas--forever lost. It's really a tragedy--if you are a "fan" of Wilde which I happen to be. So much of what he said is unfortunately lost--perhaps never to be known, for he was, as Ernest Dowson so aptly put it: "A Lord of language."

Blog Entries
    Sounds like it might be from one of his fairy tales.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

I don't think this is from his written work, but one from his one of his many quoted conversations which is likely to be difficult to pin down. It sounds like it should be from De Profundis but it is not. I'm about to re-read Aristole at Afternoon Tea, if it is in that I'll let you know. I am also re-reading Ellmann so I will look out for the phrase there as well.

Drama Queen
    I'm inclined to think that it may be a line from a character in one of Wilde's fairy tales

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermac View Post
    I'm inclined to think that it may be a line from a character in one of Wilde's fairy tales
    I cracked out my Oscar Wilde books and scanned all the fairy tales and I couldn't find this quote in any of them. Looks like my first impression was wrong. I can't find any source on this quote online, it drives me nuts. It may simply be invented.

Edit: Ding Ding Ding

I found it, it's from A Woman of No Importance
    Last edited by OrphanPip; 01-07-2010 at 01:46 AM.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by OrphanPip View Post
    I cracked out my Oscar Wilde books and scanned all the fairy tales and I couldn't find this quote in any of them. Looks like my first impression was wrong. I can't find any source on this quote online, it drives me nuts. It may simply be invented.

Oh well done, I must admit I'm surprised that it is in that, obviously I'm due for some re-reads.

Are you sure, I've skimmed through it and can't locate it? Do you know which act it is from?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Are you sure, I've skimmed through it and can't locate it? Do you know which act it is from?
    Not entirely, I found one site that associated it with "who being loved is poor" and jumped to the conclusion that it was from the same work. I'll take a look through my copy when I get home, but it is entirely possible that it's not in there.

Edit: I searched the online version here, you are right it isn't in there.

Edit2: This time I'm reasonably sure, according to a book on google books called The Wit and Humor of Oscar Wilde this quote is cited as being "in conversation". So, you had it right Neely.
    Last edited by OrphanPip; 01-07-2010 at 03:53 PM.
    - Margaret Atwood

Not entirely, I found one site that associated it with "who being loved is poor" and jumped to the conclusion that it was from the same work. I'll take a look through my copy when I get home, but it is entirely possible that it's not in there.

Edit: I searched the online version here, you are right it isn't in there.

Edit2: This time I'm reasonably sure, according to a book on google books called The Wit and Humor of Oscar Wilde this quote is cited as being "in conversation". So, you had it right Neely.
    Thanks, it has been bothering me, I can rest now!