Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Jane Eyre adaptation...

New Jane Eyre adaptation...

Hi all, for those of you who are in England or get BBC1 channel, what are the thoughts on the new Jane Eyre adaptation starring Toby Stephens as Mr Rochester?
    I've seen a few versions of Jane Eyre- the Orson Wells and bits of the Timothy Dalton version, and whilst I'm enjoying this one, I must admit to stuggling to like some of it- i think perhaps it is too modern in it's language?
    Can't remember anything off the top of my head (useful i know!) but they way they were speaking just seemed a bit out of place.
    My own suspicions were confirmed when i spottemd my mum out of the corner of her eye having a coronary at every word and shieks of "NOOO!!!! She'd never say that!!!" and "that doesnt happen like that" folowed by a quick shake of the head in a distraught manner...
    Any thoughts anybody?
    Bear in mind, my family are total literary purists and generally prefer adaptaions that are true to the novels!
    Cheers x
    "You pierce my soul, I am half agony, half hope, tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone forever..."

I've been watching the BBC adaptation too, and I have mixed feelings on it.

I was never a devoted fan of the novel, which may be the reason why I'm quite enjoying it, despite the occasional inaccuracy. The second episode was more enjoyable than the first, and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

The cast are all good, but I agree that it is too modern in places. Mr Rochester, for example - maybe I need to re-read the book, but I swear he wasn't that "modern"! He's far too cheerful, apart from anything else.

Not an English scholar but...

Hello, it's so funny.. today I watched the original Jane Eyre with the young Liz Tyler (having never read the book or knew of its existence) on Sky Movies. Very good story I thought, I didn't want it to end. Then, I just so happened to turn the channel to BBC1 and caught their version. Its can't compare in my opinion, just doesn't pull on the emotions as the original film (no doubt to the book either). Not that my two pennies count, but I can't say I enjoyed the BBC adaptation and it's wasn't altogther correct, if compared to the original film.

Just registered to this site today.
    Bye.

I am enjoying it, despite its faults.

No TV series can ever quite match up the book (Brideshead excepted!), but the BBC adaptation is really quite decent, considering how easy it is to mess up a book. It's been such a long time since I've read the book, but as far as I can tell, it's remained fairly loyal, only making the occasional changes here and there.

Mr Rochester is my only major complaint.

I think the new adaptation is fantastic. It seems to bring out the passion in the book. My only complaint is they cast the Mr Rochester too attractive. He is meant to be ugly where as Toby Stephens is very sexy. It made me read the book again. It also made my mum favourite romantic hero change from MR Darcy to Mr Rochester. As for me I've always loved him.

Yes, Toby Stephens is too good-looking.

As for favourite romantic heroes, I'm afraid Mr Rochester will always take third place:

1: Heathcliff (if you can call him "romantic", or a "hero")
    2: Mr Darcy
    3: Mr Rochester

Adaption continued...

Having now seen the whole adaption, I must admit I did rather enjoy it in the end. The only problem I have is that they navigated too far away fom the novel.
    There were far too many scenes of them kissing and that did annoy me- it's 1840s for goodness sake! Gaahhh!
    But, on the plus side, I am now more of a fan of the story, I wasnt before really.
    Toby Stephens is a bit too good looking, but i think he managed to be quite gritty as well. Jane Eyre girl (I forget her name!) having annoyed me a bit at the beginning grew on me a little- have now resigned my self to her lips, which have decided are real, not the result of some hideous attempt at a Trout Pout....!

Having said all that, whilst enjoying it I wont be rushing out to buy it.
    "You pierce my soul, I am half agony, half hope, tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone forever..."

Wannabe
    I love the book and the BBC adaptation recreated it well (in most places). I missed the first episode, but the others were well acted and directed.

Well done the Beeb!
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

The 2006 Jane Eyre by no means fully represents the fullness of the novel--regarding language, I agree that it mostly lacks the elegance and beauty of Bronte's own words. *the scene that really grates on me is after Mason's attack, and Rochester says "It's been a long night Hey Jane..."Hey" ? what?!!!* At least use the original utterances from the book, like "eh" ...*
    All that being said though, the film makes very clear its interpretive bias regarding Jane's growth as woman, thereby as sexual being. Psycho-analyist theory abounds... color, costume, setting all participate in the formation of Jane's self-hood in the film leading to her eventual fullness.
    Shame though that the faith of the book and of Jane was a minor and overlooked factor in the film.
    Ruth Wilson is an interesting Jane, beautiful in a unique way--not plain whatsoever...but she does well.

Drat!
    I just picked up this version from the library and I was very anxious to see it- until now.
    I hope I am not as disappointed as these posts suggest I will be.

It says Masterpiece Theatre
    as seen on Public Television (USA)

Screenplay- Sandy Welch
    Directed- Susanna White
    Starring- Ruth Wilson, Toby Stevens

BBC & WGBH Boston 2006
    Last edited by sciencefan; 04-20-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    I really enjoyed this adaptation up until the last installment. I didnt like how they finished the story off. was very disappointing, and somewhat annoying.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

you will not be disappointed when you see the film, but just keep in mind that no adaption is perfect... This one has many good symbolic elements

Quote Originally Posted by jane-charlotte View Post
    you will not be disappointed when you see the film, but just keep in mind that no adaption is perfect... This one has many good symbolic elements
    Thank you for the encouragement.
    I have just finished watching about 3 hours of it.
    Jane has just taken off her wedding dress and put it away.

To those of you who thought Mr. Rochester too handsome,
    I didn't think so at all.
    He's not ugly; he is pleasant enough.

Now the girl who plays Jane, she is too pretty,
    but then again, not when she is crying.

Well I shall definitely have to read the book again
    so I can know just how far off the mark they were.
    On it's own merits, I am enjoying it so far.
    I like Rochester's insights into Jane's soul.
    It's like they are soul mates. It's very romantic,
    but I don't remember that being in the book.

I have finished the rest of the movie.
    They have sufficiently confused me.
    I shall have to read the book again.

The movie was okay, but I would not recommend it.
    There are others that are better.
    Perhaps I will feel differently after I have read the book again.

I thought it was an enjoyable adaptation.
    There is one question nagging in my mind... What IS that song that Adele sang, the French one that Sophie taught her? She sings a bit of it when she asks Mr. Rochester to tell her about the Caribbean.
    I would so appreciate it if anyone could tell me the name of it and/or where it's from... It is such a lovely song...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast