View Poll Results: Which actor portrayed Hamlet best?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Laurence Olivier

5 20.00%
  • Richard Burton

1 4.00%
  • Kenneth Branagh

8 32.00%
  • Mel Gibson

1 4.00%
  • Ethan Hawke

2 8.00%
  • Derek Jacobi

2 8.00%
  • David Tennant

6 24.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The best Hamlet?

Blog Entries
    Just a word about Oliver Ford Davies, the actor playing Polonius in that production, he was outstanding!

Oh Kasie, you lucky thing. I really wanted to see that production at Stratford, but I couldn't get a ticket. I'm not a particular Dr Who fan, (sci-fi isn't my thing) but I did watch the Christmas episode, and will try to catch his demise tonight after all he is a national treasure. I think there will be many females mourning his end, from young girls to old, or older ladies like myself . I had to see it to converse with the students, who will be full of it when we return to school. He has really captured the nation's affections. I don't know how the new Dr will fare having to follow him, but I wish him luck. I'm now going to catch him on Desert Island Discs, which I missed when it was first broadcast. Oh the magic of the iplayer.

Janine, if you can get hold of the complete production, do. He is magnificent. Kasie, I did wonder about Patrick Stewart's role, (or is it Sir Patrick now?). I was expecting more, but as you say, they have to tone down for tv, as stage acting and tv acting is very different. Someone else who saw the production at Stratford said that Ophelia was genuinely terrifying going mad in that closed space, whereas, I was a little unsure about her madness on the tv, as it is so easy to go over the top. I thought Penny Downie as Gertrude was excellent however. I'm glad I taped it, as I can watch it again. Repeated viewings often show things you've missed earlier. And I agree that Oliver Ford Davies, as ever, was wonderful. I wasn't too sure about Laertes, but I will watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Hamlet is suppose to be a 35 yr old, not a younger man, although it's been interpretted both ways.
    In the text, Hamlet's actually 30 as the gravedigger says he's worked there 30 years, starting the day that Hamlet was born. Even if he's actually slightly younger/older, if he was 35, the gravedigger would've said 35.

Part of Hamlet's character is his boyishness and Branagh did look too old to be boyish. It was also too mannered for film- he was playing the lines. I've liked him in other stuff but not Hamlet.
    Jacobi does do Hamlet's boyishness well, even if his intellectualism isn't clear, and luckily did not interpret Hamlet being a mummy's boy as an Oedipus complex. How did Olivier get away with all that Freudian stuff?

Blog Entries
    Is Hamlet 30? I had not realized he was that old. I pictured him as 20 or so. God, then he is a whiner and a case of arrested development. I used to say, "grow up kid." Now I should say "get a life."
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Is Hamlet 30? I had not realized he was that old. I pictured him as 20 or so. God, then he is a whiner and a case of arrested development. I used to say, "grow up kid." Now I should say "get a life."
    hahah...let you be so mature at 30! I bet your did your share of whining at that age, Virgil. Remember, no frightening ghost confronted you to do away with your uncle. Funny line, funny guy, ; but actually Hamlet had a life, until he his father dies and he undermining uncle stole his kingdom. He was being groomed to be King of Denmark...a pretty important post. Who wouldn't be shocked to find the uncle stepped in to marry his mother and take over his rightful position?

Anyway, I heard Branagh mention the age factor in an interview segment on the disk set. Kelby is right, he would then be 30 according to the gravedigger's comments; Branagh probably said that and then added he was himself 35. One can usually get away with a few years either way. Many Hamlet's haven't been played by young actors in the past. Actually, though Shakepeare was not intending for Hamlet to be a teenager or even early 20's. I think, given the brevity of the lines and the depth of his thoughts, he would definitely have to be older. It's all in the way, the actor and director interpret Hamlet. It's like the Oscars - is there really any losers or winners here?...All intrepretations are done differently and I am not sure, even though I did vote, one can't truely determine who is best. They all did an admirable job with the scripts they were given. It's also personal preference. If you are a Tennant fan, you are going to feel differently about his performance than others. We all have our prejudices and our view points. I would imagine I could watch all of the above productions and see merit and fine moments in all of them. I don't truly like to vote in polls; I probably should not have voted in this one. To me it's like comparing apple and oranges, in the end. Everyone is different and likes different approaches to Hamlet. I heard Branagh say that once and appreciated his comment. He said his Hamlet was 'his' and some other actor, such as Olivier's Hamlet was his own interpretation. It's true. I would like to see the Tennent version since most of the ones listed I have seen, some several times over. The Tennent version definitely looks good and intensely played.
    Last edited by Janine; 01-02-2010 at 08:14 PM.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I think out of the ones in the poll, Ethan Hawke is the only one who was actually 30. Laurence Olivier was about 41 (and the woman playing Gertrude was younger than him!), Burton was probably about late thirties and the others were I think mid-to late thirties.

I think it makes sense for someone in their mid-thirties to play Hamlet, partly because of acting experience, but Gertrude is normally played as a woman in her 40's/50's, so if they're too close in age, it looks a bit weird.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kelby_lake View Post
    I think out of the ones in the poll, Ethan Hawke is the only one who was actually 30. Laurence Olivier was about 41 (and the woman playing Gertrude was younger than him!), Burton was probably about late thirties and the others were I think mid-to late thirties.

I think it makes sense for someone in their mid-thirties to play Hamlet, partly because of acting experience, but Gertrude is normally played as a woman in her 40's/50's, so if they're too close in age, it looks a bit weird.
    Yeah, that has happened before, too. Mel Gibson and Glenn Close actually were nearly the same age. I saw it mentioned on a documentary. I thought it pretty weird, even though they did make Glenn look older. How strange that Olivier was that old; I really didn't think he looked young at all...didn't his real life wife play his mother...Joan Plowright? I might be wrong on that...it's been awhile, since I saw that production...personally, I am not that thrilled with it and think it was over-rated. I just know Plowright was in a lot of his productions, as was his first wife, Vivian Leigh. I have never seen the Burton one either but parts on Youtube and it didn't impress me. The Ethan Hawke one was my very least favorite of all. The 'to be or not to be" speech walking through a video store, just didn't do it for me. I feel anyone playing Hamlet needs to have the maturity, also. I have seen Branagh's early stage production with Jacobi directing. It's looks to be a fine production; but the maturity is just not there yet. It took him time to polish the role. I think playing Hamlet is a process.

Blog Entries
    hahah...let you be so mature at 30! I bet your did your share of whining at that age, Virgil. Remember, no frightening ghost confronted you to do away with your uncle. Funny line, funny guy, ; but actually Hamlet had a life, until he his father dies and he undermining uncle stole his kingdom. He was being groomed to be King of Denmark...a pretty important post. Who wouldn't be shocked to find the uncle stepped in to marry his mother and take over his rightful position?
    I just find Hamlet such an indecisive nincompoop. I could swear he's a teenage boy. If he's thirty, then I think this play is really flawed.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    I just find Hamlet such an indecisive nincompoop. I could swear he's a teenage boy. If he's thirty, then I think this play is really flawed.
    Oh blah blah blah, my friend Virgil....

Blog Entries
    I think it is just a continuity mistake, Shakespeare's works are riddled with them.
    Will Kempe reads the part of Osric and moans he hasn't much material.
    "C'mon Will, I know it's final rehersal, but you could stick another comic scene in somewhere couldn't you?."

These plays were never written to be poured over by generations of scholars. The performance was all, the odd mistake didn't really matter.

Yeah, that has happened before, too. Mel Gibson and Glenn Close actually were nearly the same age. I saw it mentioned on a documentary. I thought it pretty weird, even though they did make Glenn look older. How strange that Olivier was that old; I really didn't think he looked young at all...didn't his real life wife play his mother...Joan Plowright?
    That would be very creepy! No, some other woman played her- she was 27 and Olivier was 41. I can understand maybe having them 10 years apart in age, or having a very alluring/young Gertrude, but to have her younger is bizarre.

Blog Entries
    Kelby, do you know who played Hamlet's mother in the Olivier version? You are right it wasn't his wife and yes, would have been creepy indeed. I know in the Jacobi version the mother is played by Judi Dench; they had the right age distance. She played someone's mother and I hope my memory serves me accurately, in saying it was the Jacobi Hamlet. I just went searching on Amazon, to see if the mother's name (actress) is listed. While there, I read two reviews, which I thought were rather interesting...first one points out the cutting of the play by Olivier to 150 some minutes. The other compares Jacobi's performance to Olivier's. I thought both reviews were well written and thoughtout. I didn't read every word, but others on here might want to check them out via this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Hamlet-Criteri...2627578&sr=1-1

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    As far as film goes, I would have to go with Ethan Hawke. Does he embody the staples of Hamlet as we know him? I don't know, but his performance is the only one that doesn't seem like it would be better suited for the stage.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Janine, I think the actress is Eileen Herlie . I don't remember the name, but that's a name on the cover of my dvd, and I know the lovely Jean Simmons was Ophelia, so it must be her.

Blog Entries
    My pleasure Nick.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast