Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you write on your books?

Blog Entries
    Of course I do. Only my own ones though, and only with pencil. Like inbetween, I sometimes jot down translations, and I mark significant passages.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
    To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits
    in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.”

Helen Keller

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I never do. Even with textbooks and the like, I've never found it useful or helpful. I don't know if it's because I regarded it as sacrilegious, because I wanted for the printed matter to be free from my subjective thoughts on it, or if I just wanted to preserve resale value.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Blog Entries
    If I am studying the text, I always underline sections and make notes in the margin...
    However I never write in my other books

well i have a terrible memory, so in order for me to remember importantant part of the books i read, I do underline the parts that i like the most, and also to quote the author.
    i don't make notes however, unless its translations.
    I'm always home, I'm uncool.

oh i forgot
    i don't plan to ever ever get rid of my books. until i die maybe not even then so
    I'm always home, I'm uncool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by inbetween View Post
    to Red-Headed
    then that'll be the spot for me
    every text and book I've read for school is full of notes, I highlight passages and jot down whatever comes to my mind (but always pencil only - I'm just too lazy to change the writing tool). that helps me to work with the text.
    in books I read for my personal pleasure you can only find highlighted sentences that might serve as good quotes (in my view)
    and of course vocablurary... since I'm no native speaker of the English language I write down translations and sometimes the usage of words foreign to me.
    apart from that I never write anything on my books but that might change when I start to read philosophical texts for fun ... guess I'd mark where I agree or disagree with the author and summarise passages to understand them...
    whatsoever, I don't deem my thoughts unworthy to be written down on a book and just apart from that, when I bought it it's mine and I can do with it whatever I like and the author knew that. and whoever inherits books from me inherits books I have used so they bear the sings of usage, whatever they may be
    so I'm really looking forward to seeing this place in hell, heaven would have bin too cold for me anyways
    Of course, you can do what you wish with your own property. I just hold the printed written word with a sort of reverence I suppose. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing these days. Some people think graffiti in inner cities & elsewhere is art. Maybe some of it is, it's still just vandalism to me. I even feel guilty writing lightly in the fly leaves of my own books in pencil (I discovered the 'notebook' a while ago). You do realise I was joking about the 'hell' thing don't you? I can't actually find a punishment for book-defacers in Dante & I'm an agnostic anyway. I still won't deface books, including ones that I actually own. I also don't try to annoy my neighbours with my hi fi, drop litter in the street, push in front of people in supermarket queues & I try not to vandalise anything at all. I suppose that makes me a bit old-fashioned these days. I don't really care. I'm happy with that.
    docendo discimus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinHood3000 View Post
    I never do. Even with textbooks and the like, I've never found it useful or helpful. I don't know if it's because I regarded it as sacrilegious, because I wanted for the printed matter to be free from my subjective thoughts on it, or if I just wanted to preserve resale value.
    Yes, I don't think it is that useful or helpful either. If I want to make notes I note the book & page/passage in a notebook of some form. I think it is a form of laziness to just scrawl all over a text. It is much better if you have what you want in a notebook of some form. I will write out text rather than underline it in the original book. I think that you can make much better notes that way anyway.
    docendo discimus

I never do that, but there are books I borrow from the library that are full of notes and underlinings. First I did not like these at all, but there are some that are quite useful and interesting...;-)

I am a Thompson reader as well. What do you make of 'The Rum Diary'?

Literary Superstar Pryderi Agni's Avatar
    On the spires of Paris, with the Red Queen...
    Not really. I hate doing that, coz it just ruins any enjoyment I might get from reading the book at a later time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12