Thread: Explication of the line "Hitler Is Alive and Living in Israel!"

Drama Queen

Explication of the line "Hitler Is Alive and Living in Israel!"

First of all, to the one who took one line out of my poem "The Son Of Dionysus" and proceeded to read something into it that doesn't exist and to twist it and eke out a meaning which is divorced from reality and make the line appear to mean something that it doesn't, and to cast aspersions on it and to accuse me of being anti-Semitic--what you did is contemptible.

With that said, I will now give an explication of the line in question. This is how it goes: "Then he (the son of Dionysus) awakens and faintly hears from across the scarlet sea the earthly howls of despair: "Hitler is alive and living in Israel!"

Now when I composed the poem and the specific line in question, here is the idea I had: What if by some happenstance, Hitler (who represents and indeed was and is the epitome of evil--along with Stalin), did not die? What if he, like a number of Nazis--Joseph Mengele for example who managed to make it to South America and live thirty-four years without being detected, managed to escape? Where would Hitler go? Where would be the last place in the world one would expect him to go, to hide? I think it would be Israel. It would be the ultimate horrible irony that the embodiment of evil who was responsible for the deaths of tens of millions and more than six million Jews would be able somehow to get into Israel and be able to hide. Then, when by some means it was discovered that Hitler was indeed hiding in Israel itself, that would cause the "earthly howls of despair"--that Hitler, that is, the embodiment of evil, had after all not been defeated, much less had died, but was still existing in Israel of all places.

Now that is the explication of the line. If the explication doesn't satisfy or placate or soothe you, then it will show to me that you have some kind of agenda; that you see a neo-Nazi or Hitlerite under every bed, or a witch behind every rosebush, or a communist teaching in every school.

Blog Entries
    People got very worked up over this discussion, b/c it is such a sensitive issue. It is so easy to misread poetry and people need to not assume something means what they think it means, before getting a clarification. As the author who has published something, the responsibility falls to him/her to correct the misconception.

Thanks for the explanation, I was curious to understand what was meant. However, it didn't appear logical that you would post an anti-Semitic poem as you have been posting on the Forum for a while and contributing as a supportive critic to the community atmosphere.

Drama Queen
    jersea, it is not the responsibility of the author to correct any misconceptions one may have about his or her work. It is the responsibility of the reader to correct any misconceptions they may have.

Blog Entries
    Let me clarify, in the arena of a public forum, I believe it is the responsibility of the author to clarify meaning if the working is wrongly being interpreted.

Drama Queen
    whatever jersea--whatever makes you happy--okay
    now drop it

Blog Entries
    I couldn't agree more. This is not something I usually "get into". And it's not what makes me happy, but what is appropriate behavior on the forum.

Drama Queen
    okay you're right I agree thank you very much

I must admit that was a very creative verse my dear.
    A verse that opens a whole discussion is always of my favorites :-)
    I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge -- myth is more potent than history -- dreams are more powerful than facts -- hope always triumphs over experience -- laughter is the cure for grief -- love is stronger than death. - Robert Fulghum
    Je Chante Une Chanson Sombre
    The Lady of Mine - Opinion please
    A tragedy crept to the name Bathory

Jermac, I would love to read the whole poem... I think the given line is brilliant! I also agree with Mary Poppins when she said: "I never explain anything". I do not agree that an author should explain his or her work for any reader regardless of scandal through their being insulted.