Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 444495051525354555657 LastLast

Thread: Write down the 4th Sentence on the 23rd page of the book beside your hand

But in the spring he succeeds in winning it back.
    - Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder -
    If we shadows have offended,
    Think but this, and all is mended—
    If you pardon, we will mend,
    And Robin shall restore amends.
    Now give me your hands if we be friends.

- Extracted from Midsummer Night’s Dream by W. Shakespeare -

AGNES GREY - by Anne Brontë

So that, frequently, when, after much trouble and toil, I had, at length, succeeded in bringing her down, the breakfast was nearly half over; and black looks from 'mamma,' and testy observations from 'papa,' spoken at me, if not to me, were sure to be my meed: for few things irritated the latter so much as want of punctuality at meal times.

No doubt the most exclusive drawing room, the leading house in the Faubourg SaintGermain was little or nothing after all those other mansions of which in turn I had dreamed.

the guermantes way marcel proust

The Bell (Iris Murdoch)

It fluttered a little, and began to move towards the window, dangerously close to the passengers' feet.

Persuasion (Jane Austen)

By the report which he hastened over to Kellynch to make, Admiral Croft was a native of Somersetshire, who having acquired a very handsome fortune, was wishing to settle in his own country, and had come down to Taunton in order to look at some advertised places in that immediate neighbourhood, which, however, had not suited him; that accidentally hearing - (it was just as he had foretold, Mr. Shepherd observed, Sir Walter's concerns could not be kept a secret,) - accidentally hearing of the possibility of Kellynch Hall being to let, and understanding his (Mr. Shepherd's) connection with the owner, he had introduced himself to him in order to make particular inquiries, and had, in the course of a pretty long conference, expressed as strong an inclination for the place as a man who knew it only by description, could feel; and given Mr. Shephered, in his explicit account of himself, every proof of his being a most responsible, eligible tenant.

In the closing chapter of the first volume of The History of Sexuality and in his brief but significiant introduction to Herculine Barbin, Being the Recently Discovered Journals of a Nineteenth-Century Hermaphrodite, Foucault suggests that the category of sex, prior to any categorization of sexual difference, is itself constructed through a historically specific mode of sexuality.

Gender Trouble, Judith Butler

The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)

I wanted to run after her and tell her I had nothing to do with Doreen, because she looked stern and hard-working and moral as an old-style European immigrant and reminded me of my Austrian grandmother.
    Last edited by bouquin; 12-13-2014 at 12:00 PM.

When we reached Rome, I put myself under a master who was known as Il Firenzuola.

Cold Comfort Farm (Stella Gibbons)

I only saw it from the car as I drove past, you know; I was misled by the way it was folded as it hung in the window.

Closed
    Among them were whites dressed all in leather who had made their living driving the herds of the “colonels,” the owners of great cattle ranches; full- blooded Indians with reddish skins whose great- great- grandfathers had gone about half naked and eaten the hearts of their enemies; mestizos who had been farm overseers, tinsmiths, blacksmiths, cobblers, or carpenters; and mulattoes and blacks who had been runaways from the sugarcane plantations on the coast and from the rack, the stocks, the floggings with bull pizzles and the brine thrown on the raw lash marks, and other punishments invented for slaves in the sugar factories.

Choke (Chuck Palaniuk)

"Mrs. Mancini," she says, "needs a feeding tube."

Third sentence included for context:

He gave her the firm-bordering-on-exasperation look. Because that made so much difference when you've been married for eleven years.

The Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Closed
    Me enforce for the Jamaica Labour Party in green, and Shotta Sherrif control for the People’s National Party in orange, but them new boys enforce for the party in them back pocket.

After Heisenberg gave quantum theory its fully developed mathematical formalism with his Uncertainty Principle, he and other physicists began to question the nature of a physical or objective reality.

Mysticism and the New Physics by Michael Talbot
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy

Blog Entries
    I love Talbot- at least, he was very fascinating. . I've been trying to remember the name of one physicist. . Okay it was David Bohm. Very interesting stuff.