Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast

Thread: Write down the 4th Sentence on the 23rd page of the book beside your hand

Quote Originally Posted by neilgee View Post
    That's got to be one of the best yet. Excellent sentence! I should read more Defoe: how about his biography of Dick Turpin?
    If you like that one, how about this? This really made me roll on the floor yesterday (or in my bed anyway). I will spare you the story behind it which is also pretty saucy, but it's about a wedding night:

'Modesty forbids me to reveal the secrets of the marriage bed, but nothing could have happened more suitable to my circumstances than that, as above, my husband was so fuddled when he came to bed, that he could not remember in the morning whether he had had any conversation with me or no, and I was obliged to tell him he had, though in reality he had not, that I might be sure he could make no inquiry about anything else.'

So drunk you can't remember that you managed to do it or not?! And that on your wedding night where you are supposed to make sure your wife is a virgin...

Correction, 'had conversation'

That reminds me of a passage in Lost in Austen: not 'the night we kissed', but 'the night we... spoke'. 'Conversation' and the like must have been a regular euphemism.

Imagine it:

hubby: 'Hello my dear, did we have (a good) conversation yesterday or not?'
    Moll: 'Yes, my darling, a very long one indeed.'

Modesty forbids her...

I don't know how Dick Turpin is. This is my first Defoe. I was making myself up for difficult, but I was so surprised to see that the language is pretty easy. The spelling, I think, has been updated, though.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

And the same click in the brain told Adam that his father was not a great man, that he was, indeed, a very strong willed and concentrated little man wearing a huge busby.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Last time I tried this I came up with a good sentence. And it's happened again! Spooky. The sentence is:

"Please don't equate simplicity with stupidity"

from "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing" by John C. Bogle (A very useful book for literati who want to spend as liitle time as possible in the sewers of investment planning, and want to give away as liitle as possible of their money to greedy and stupid bankers.)

ésprit de l’escalier DanielBenoit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "All right," Wilson said.

~The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    And leave it with a Discontent
    Too exquisite — to tell —
    -Emily Dickinson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVW8GCnr9-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGIvr6WVw4

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Because I happen to be on the twenty-third page:

"Jafnan skemmtu þau Helga sér at tafli ok Gunnlaugr."

Gunnlaugs saga ormstungu.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

And what does it mean...
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    And what does it mean...
    yeah, what does it mean?

"W akcie miłosnym tkwi wielkie podobieństwo do tortury lub operacji chirurgicznej"

Charles Baudelaire, "My Heart Laid Bare"

it would be something like: "In the act of lovemaking there's a great resemblance to torture or surgery"

I was a little bemused about the French, until I saw it was in Polish (the l goves everything away). I was just seeing which words I still knew from my immersion in September when I saw the translation...

Not a lot, I'm afraid... only 'wielki', 'akcie' (not too difficult), 'operacji chirurgicznej', 'do' and 'w'. I couldn't remember what 'lub' was, but I had heard it often.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    And what does it mean...
    Its a bit clunky in English, but it roughly translates to "Helga was always at table (which means playing a board-game similar to chess) with Gunnlaugr."

And they say romance is dead...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    From The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl

As he sat, Manning heard a surprising clicking sound from anteroom.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    Its a bit clunky in English, but it roughly translates to "Helga was always at table (which means playing a board-game similar to chess) with Gunnlaugr."

And they say romance is dead...
    aaaahh

When I entered the temple, he was asleep on his back, with a brick wrapped in sackcloth under his head as a pillow.
    - An Obedient Father (Akhil Sharma)
    Last edited by bouquin; 01-09-2010 at 07:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    In this state of her spirits, a letter was delivered to her from the post, which contained a proposal particularly well timed. (Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBenoit View Post
    "Ich kann nur von ihnen sprechen, sie aussprechen kann ich nicht."

Tractus Logico-Philosophicus by Wittgenstein
    My German is a little lacking... something like "Only I can speak, you can't pronounce" ??? Is that close?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_ View Post
    My German is a little lacking... something like "Only I can speak, you can't pronounce" ??? Is that close?
    Not really...

'I can only speak of you, pronounce you I cannot.'

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast