Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a good book in the bible to start reading.

John 16:24

What is a good book in the bible to start reading.

I want to start reading my bible more, but I'm not sure what book I should start reading. I know that its a really bad idea to start in Genesis because of the ____ begat _____ over and over. So what do you think would be a good book to start with?

Drama Queen
    The book of Job

Blog Entries
    Why don't you start t the beginning with Genesis?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll have to agree with Virgil. Genesis is the creation stories, Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah's Ark, the Tower of Babel, Methuselah, the Covenant with Abraham, Sodom and Gomorrah, Lot, Jacob, and Joseph. These are some of the central stories of the Bible and some of the central stories of Western culture... and the foundation of the Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Later books such as numbers can became tedious in documenting the heredity of who begat whom... but Genesis is one of the strongest books of the Bible. That said... Job is perhaps the single greatest book of the Bible... it deals with a central issue of the existence of God and evil... and I would not challenge the idea that it is a good place to start.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Just skip the stupid names. There's no point in reading that crap.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    Just skip the stupid names. There's no point in reading that crap.
    Juniper this is a serious discussion, so moderate your tone or you could end up like Jocky, unwanted and banned. The Book Of Mormon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jocky View Post
    Juniper this is a serious discussion, so moderate your tone or you could end up like Jocky, unwanted and banned. The Book Of Mormon.
    Hey dude, my tone was SUPPOSED to be jovial and light-hearted, thank-you-very-much.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    Hey dude, my tone was SUPPOSED to be jovial and light-hearted, thank-you-very-much.
    No problem, everyone on Lit Net is aware that ' crap ' is a jovial and light hearted term, apart from the three thousand moderators. You are in danger of not going to heaven, even worse you could be barred from the forum.

I've tried to read some of Genesis , But I can't really get that far into it. My brother suggested to start reading Mark, But I think I will try out Job. I've been in Romans a little bit and I fairly enjoyed it, But I got out of the habit of reading it. I used to really be into books about six years ago, and as soon as I hit high school, I just suddenly stopped reading almost altogether. I think not being in the habit of reading is what has hindered me from reading my bible.

:) Stephweet :) stephofthenight's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Job, psalms, and proverbs are my personal favorites. psalms is super long thou. I also like jermaiha

"Be careful of quotes you find on the internet, they may not always be true" -Abraham Lincon-

Quote Originally Posted by stephofthenight View Post
    Job, psalms, and proverbs are my personal favorites. psalms is super long thou. I also like jermaiha
    I loved proverbs when I did a study on it a few summers back. I haven't really read any of Jeremiah or Psalms.
    John 16:24 "Have you asked nothing in my name? Ask and receive that your joy may be full."

Ephesians 5:14 "Awaken Oh Sleeper, Rise up from the dead, And Christ will give you life."

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4C Chiodos View Post
    ... I think not being in the habit of reading is what has hindered me from reading my bible.
    I believe you have uncovered the underlying problem here. It would seem that you first need to first rediscover your passion for reading, then perhaps start with something not quite so daunting as say; Genisis. I agree that Job is a must, but you might begin with a theme. Consider the Christmas season we are entering and read the prophecies of Isaiah and then to the infancy narrative in the Gospel of Luke.
    Regardless, you must start reading which begins with turning off this confounded computer!

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    I believe you have uncovered the underlying problem here. It would seem that you first need to first rediscover your passion for reading, then perhaps start with something not quite so daunting as say; Genisis. I agree that Job is a must, but you might begin with a theme. Consider the Christmas season we are entering and read the prophecies of Isaiah and then to the infancy narrative in the Gospel of Luke.
    Regardless, you must start reading which begins with turning off this confounded computer!

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
    Haha. Thanks for the inspiration. I have a project to do so it won't be off anytime soon. But thanks for the help. Thanks everyone!
    John 16:24 "Have you asked nothing in my name? Ask and receive that your joy may be full."

Ephesians 5:14 "Awaken Oh Sleeper, Rise up from the dead, And Christ will give you life."

When we really have a passion to read the Bible through from cover to cover it becomes child's play and it is over far to soon. Then we go back and pick out eras, people and places that stick in our minds. As we remember some of the events, the places and people our mind will run it through like a video.
    Be aware that all the translations I know of have doctrinal biases inserted by the theologians that produced them. Once you are familiar with the existing text then do your home work and go backwards in time and weed out the translation manipulations, the additions, the deletions that the organized churches have wrought upon the sacred text. You will be surprised and maybe even shocked, but you will then know the truth.

Blog Entries
    I would start with the book of John...
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast