Thread: Please, help me!

Please, help me!

Hi there,
    I'm sorry for creaating a topic just to ask for help, but right now I'm a little desperate.

English is not my first language, so please forgive me for any/all mistake(s) that I'll problably make.

I'm studing Jane Austen at my English Literature class and I have to write a paper on whay "Fisrt Impressions" would be a better title to the novel.

So far I created an outline for the paper and I'd really apreciate if someone could read it and see if I'm forgeting any important topic.

Outline
    1st - story of the novel + it is a novel of mannners (explaining why)
    2nd- First Impressions are deconstructed. Lizzy and Darcy areround characters.
    3rd- Judgement and Misjudgement - based on external aparance, manners, behaviour in society, gossip and on pride and prejudice
    4th- First sentence of the novel : humor + judgement
    5th - Lizzy and Darcy representing Pride and Prejudice
    6th- Use chapter 35 to ilustrate re-judgement
    7th- Use chapter 43 to ilustrate re-judgement
    8th- Conclusion - First Impressions would be a better title because Lizzy and Darcy judge, misjudge and re-judge.

Ok, so....
    what do you guys think? I need to write this paper and it has to have 4 pages... and it will be the first paper that I've ever written... I'm a little aprehensive about it ( and totally insicure).

If anyone has any tip to give me, I'll be very happy to recieve it!

Thank you all!

Anna Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Kathy View Post
    1st - story of the novel + it is a novel of manners (explaining why)
    Propriety rather than manners. And always funny.

8th- Conclusion - First Impressions would be a better title because Lizzy and Darcy judge, misjudge and re-judge.
    'First Impressions' fails to do justice to the comedy that is Austen's novel.

read it and see if I'm forgeting any important topic.
    I think the ironic Mr Bennet and the amoral Mr Wickham can't be ignored.

Blog Entries
    Mrs Bennet also needs looking at- she is a consequence of the opening creed and a major character.

Wasn't it originally called First Impressions by Jane herself? The fact that she changed it must mean she thought P&P was a better title, that reflected the novel more aptly.

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    Mrs Bennet also needs looking at- she is a consequence of the opening creed...
    Why had I seen that before - too subtle a humour?

Quote Originally Posted by wessexgirl View Post
    Wasn't it originally called First Impressions by Jane herself? The fact that she changed it must mean she thought P&P was a better title, that reflected the novel more aptly.
    I thought I read that her publisher MADE her change it... marketing strategy, I think.
    I became a widow in April of 2009.

Questions have inded been raised about the title P&P was published with... Critics have suggested that her second book was called Pride and Prejudice because of the similarity with her first book's title Sense and Sensibility. The analogy would have played in marketing standards then.
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'me ne se vide ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scne VII)

Perhaps the change of title arose from the decade-and-a-half between completion and publication.