Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When Was Jesus Born

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBastable View Post
    Er, yeah - thanks. I understand the metaphorical Lamb that crops up throughout Christian thought. I was asking about the appearance of an actual lamb in the nativity as related in Luke and Matthew, on the sole basis of which the original poster suggested Jesus may not have been born at Christmas.

And the answer is, there is no such lamb in the scripture.
    There's no reference to a lamb in the nativity, so Mark, you're right. The lambs and so on all crept in because the birth took place in a stable. So people assumed there'd be animals and lambs are cute I guess (as opposed to pigs or whatever), and maybe because it's a reference to God being a Lamb.

But then again, like everyone else has said, none of it really matters. It would be interesting to know the real date, but we can celebrate it on any day. It's like having your birthday on a Wednesday and celebrating it on the Friday, because it suits everyone better.

Another thing that I have learned before when I was growing up was Christ could have been born at any time but people were arriving to see Him at different times too. So it could possibly be that some were telling of his birth like it was the day before instead of months or even years after. An example would be the wise men. It wasn't possible for them to arrive that same night that Christ was born. They could have arrived anywhere from a week to a year later. But as it has been said, it shouldn't really matter when it happened just that it did and was a huge effect on everyone's lives and religions.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean

www.markbastable.co.uk MarkBastable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ehs13 View Post
    But as it has been said, it shouldn't really matter when it happened just that it did and was a huge effect on everyone's lives and religions.
    ....might have...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    Some people place his birth in spring/early summer from clues in one of the gospels but christmas was chosen to coincide with pagan holidays to draw pagans into the religion.
    I was told that the pagans who became christian (in Britain, brought by the Romans and then when they left christianity remained) just decided to make their solstice feast a christian feast... they didn't take religion as seriously as people do nowadays, there are some tablets that pray to both the christian god AND Dionysus (which is so weird that it made me tilt my head like a dog when I first heard about it). They'd pray to whoever if they thought it would get them what they wanted. They didn't really care about continuity, they had other things to worry about (like not freezing or starving to death) and the tradition just happened to remain. They needed a solstice party because they were cold and depressed during the darkest time of year, and a nice yule feast on the longest night filled a void. Drinking, fresh meat, sex sex sex... When religion started to be used as a tool of control, the powers that be decided to made christmas Jesus' birthday so that it wouldn't be just a drunken sin-filled party in the name of their lord.

(In mock-overzealous-priest voice) Christmas must be a time of humility during which you reflect on all that god has done for you and all that he can take away, and for you to feel charitable and give money to the church.

Fun-suckers.

And the answer is, there is no such lamb in the scripture.
    If you already knew the answer, then why did you ask? Out with it man, just tell us there's no lamb.
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 12-08-2009 at 03:55 AM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Quote Originally Posted by JuniperWoolf View Post
    They'd pray to whoever if they thought it would get them what they wanted.
    I can respect that one - at leats it's honest.

www.markbastable.co.uk MarkBastable's Avatar

If you already knew the answer, then why did you ask?
    Rhetorical device.

I was told that the pagans who became christian (in Britain, brought by the Romans and then when they left christianity remained) just decided to make their solstice feast a christian feast... they didn't take religion as seriously as people do nowadays, there are some tablets that pray to both the christian god AND Dionysus (which is so weird that it made me tilt my head like a dog when I first heard about it). They'd pray to whoever if they thought it would get them what they wanted. They didn't really care about continuity, they had other things to worry about (like not freezing or starving to death) and the tradition just happened to remain. They needed a solstice party because they were cold and depressed during the darkest time of year, and a nice yule feast on the longest night filled a void. Drinking, fresh meat, sex sex sex... When religion started to be used as a tool of control, the powers that be decided to made christmas Jesus' birthday so that it wouldn't be just a drunken sin-filled party in the name of their lord.

(In mock-overzealous-priest voice) Christmas must be a time of humility during which you reflect on all that god has done for you and all that he can take away, and for you to feel charitable and give money to the church.

Fun-suckers.
    It's fascinating to look at the origins of some religious holidays don't get me started on Easter!!
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

oh ya sorry. good point.

....might have...
    oh ya sorry. right, might have.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean

Actually, I think you are right; I don't believe that Jesus was born in the winter. Muslims believe that Jesus was born during the summer time. There is no proof that he was born in cold seasons.

I have read 2 AD in "God is Not Great" (from memory). It's hard to say really with the conflicting "evidence" of the Gospels. Herod died in 4 BC.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 02-11-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Jesus was born in September. When Mary went to see her cousin Elizabeth right after the Immaculate Conception, Elizabeth's unborn son, John the Baptist, who was "6 months in the womb" lept for joy! John the Baptist was conceived during the "Feast of Tabernacles" or something like that...do the research...

Dream its own existence Jesterhead's Avatar
    He could not have been called Jesus. The name Jesus originates from Greece, and the letter J was not used until the 15th century.
    I am swimming through the ashes of the bridges I have burned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesterhead View Post
    He could not have been called Jesus. The name Jesus originates from Greece, and the letter J was not used until the 15th century.
    Right...his name in Hebrew is Yeshua...which is also Joshua's Hebrew name...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesterhead View Post
    The Greek New Testament says 'Isous' which is the best transliteration for what would later be translated, Jesus.
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

December 25 (give or take 3-6 days) was originally known as Saturnalia in Rome, starting in the 3rd Century B.C.E.

The birth of Jesus of Nazareth was not celebrated by the first Christian communities during the first few centuries after his death. They were more focused on his death and resurrection. (Note: Not all Christian communities believed in the resurrection by the way)

Constantine makes Christianity the state religion of Rome.

Christmas then becomes an important holiday.

Power + Religion = Official Holidays.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast