Thread: The flower school

The flower school

The flower school. Its a poem written by Rabindranath Tagore.

What he means to say in this poem. Can anybody make me understand about what he is coming to say. Where it is happening, is it in a city or country or in a town.

Hi,

Flower School happens to be one of my favorites too and its bit of a satirical and a metaphorical poem written by Tagore, where he has presented a wonderful analogy, between offshoots of flower plants preparing underground before they come out and the way children gets typically schooled - behind the doors shut - apparently preparing their lessons but longing from within for freedom to reach their mother or to play in a field - disciplined by a master who asks them to stand in a corner if they come out to play early.

Tagore found the concept of conventional shut-behind-doors schooling during his childhood difficult and a strange way to learn and he had had an unconventional and a rather free way of learning himself partly due to the wealthy family-background he belonged

By placing flowers directly as a subject of his poem and running their life course through a rather strict and disciplined routine undergone by children during schooling he captures with subtlety a sketch of the problem he intends to address as if within a child's conversation with his mother.

Hello,
    The Literature Network Forum. I think it will be an useful access for me. In the time ahead, I hope I will contribute with my comments. Till then, bye friends.