Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Princedom by the Sea

The Princedom by the Sea

Hello there,
    I'm beginning my new novella which centers around a young boy and his world, or at least how he perceives it. The central themes I'm trying to convey are loss of innocence and the beauty within the mind of children. I've written a short first chapter and would love your critique. Thank you!

Chapter One
    The transparent rays of the sun shone down upon the field in which he lay. Flowers were all around him, forming patterns made by an unseen hand. The gentle breeze carried the smell of the sea to him. This was his princedom by the sea, and he was the prince in waiting. Young, vulnerable, naïve, everything we wish we could be again.
    The young prince opened his eyes slowly, his heart stirred by the salt air and gentle breeze. He didn’t know how long he was lying there, in his utopia. He didn’t care. Without the slightest since of urgency he rose, not bothering to dust the dirt or grass off his beautiful prince clothes. Somewhere in the distance a bell tolled to signal that it was mid-day. He didn’t hear it. Besides, the time and dates didn’t matter to him. He couldn’t read clocks or calendars. Not so much could be said for the other residents of his princedom – they had to do whatever clocks and calendars said.
    The prince took one step forward, then another. He was heading straight for his sea, for it did belong to him. His gentle, wide eyes looked forward, but not only forward. They looked everywhere. To his left he noticed two robins perched on a tree branch. To his right, a large bunch of beautiful, blue flowers he did not know the name of. He exited his clearing, for it was his, and entered the woods surrounding it. He would be at his sea soon. Without a problem he cleared a path throughout the undergrowth and brush in his way, swiping it away with strokes of his hand. He was a prince and an explorer. He was everything.
    Continuing on through the forest, he finally reached the shore upon which his vast ocean lay. Stepping onto the beach, he felt the sand between his toes. Felt the breeze upon his face. Let his body bask in the wonder of the elements. He liked it. Looking out across the sea, he could only imagine what waited for him on the other side. His eyes bore into the sea, looking for some clue of what could be on the other side – but he found none, just miles and miles of water. His world was endless.
    He ran along the beach now, closing his eyes. He couldn’t see what was in front of him. Whatever he wanted was in front of him. Suddenly, his foot got caught on a stray root running down from the forest. He tumbled to the sand, rolling head over heels until he stopped moving. Catching his breath, he stood up slowly and then began running again. Nothing hurt. Everything was beautiful.
    Bells began ringing again, but still he didn’t care. He just loved the sound, and the way it gently echoed within his ear. While the bells rang, another sound rose high above them, past the clouds, past Earth, to infinity. His mother’s cry pierced both the air and his perfect world.
    “Daniel! I’ve been looking all over for you, your dinner is ready and it’s getting cold. Please,” his mother asked in a tired voice. She stood at the top of the beach, glaring upon the beautiful scene which was right in front of her eyes. Daniel slowly approached his mother, eyes looking downwards. He knew he had done something wrong, just not what. His mother grabbed his hand and she began the trek back to his castle, young prince in tow.
    The pair entered the woods, leaving the sea and beach without their owner, all alone, vulnerable. Birds danced gracefully above the horizon, fish flew below the water and trees swam in the wind. Besides the birds, something else danced gracefully above the horizon. A cloud was approaching quickly, a dark cloud which existed only to bring hardship and evil to the princedom by the sea. The sea no longer belonged to the price.

Drama Queen
    I am terrible at criticism or giving critiques. All I'll say about this first chapter is it is tantalizing, and it makes me want to read on, to continue reading it.

I am sure we all experience the struggle to perfect our grammar and punctuation in writing. I find it tasking each time I sit down to work on a story. It is a pain in the neck! I have been sitting at my desk for three hours this morning reading stories on the forum. Among these compositions I found that the most common problems seem to be difficulties with grammar, punctuation, narrative coherence and word order. These tools are essential to the writer in working his craft. Many years ago I was given a rule for writing: "brevity: only include the essential, necessary and relevant details because there is no virtue in complexity for its own sake". It is bloody difficult! Consider the simplicity of this sentence:

Pigs grunt.

Now write a description of the image brought into mind by this sentence and compare the two texts.
    Anyway, I enjoyed your story and I would love to read more. I hope you are not insulted by my response...? As I have already stated, difficulties in these areas are something we all go through in writing.
    Last edited by wlz; 01-16-2010 at 05:47 AM.
    "Have the strength to force the moment to its crisis".

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by wlz View Post
    I am sure we all experience the struggle to perfect our grammar and punctuation in writing. ... Consider the simplicity of this sentence:

Pig's grunt.

As I have already stated, difficulties in these areas are something we all go through in writing.
    Actually that's not a sentence because it has no verb in it. If it were this:

Pigs grunt.

it would be a sentence.

But your apostrophe shows us that pig is a possessive noun, so grunt must be a noun too. So it's 'the grunt of a pig' - a phrase, but not a sentence.

....difficulties in these areas are something we all go through in writing

It is after all, a mistake. And as I pointed out, WE ALL make these errors. Thank YOU for pointing that out. Is that an attempt at a paragraph? Difficulties in these areas are something we all go through in writing.
    Last edited by wlz; 01-16-2010 at 05:58 AM.

Are you the Novelist, Mark Bastable? Are you the author of 'Icebox' and 'Mischief'?

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by wlz View Post
    Are you the Novelist, Mark Bastable? Are you the author of 'Icebox' and 'Mischief'?
    Never heard of him.

Nonsense! I bet you are... but I have no way of proving it. Blast it all. lol.

I am now convinced that you are the novelist, Mark Bastable, author of the abovementioned works. Fantastic!

Fantastic!

Drama Queen
    I beg to differ with MarkBastable about a sentence. A sentence requires no verb. A sentence can consist of one word.

www.markbastable.co.uk
    Sentences are generally characterized in most languages by the presence of a finite verb, e.g. "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_(linguistics)

Drama Queen
    I repeat: a sentence requires no verb; a sentence can consist of one word. Look up the definition of sentence in a dictionary.

nice start

why i myself when i try to write something feel afraid of commiting mistakes and critisized by others. im no longer a good writer. yet, i am a good debater and have a good expereince how to write unboundary

a very nice novella, dude

This is amazing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast