Thread: Transformation of Animal to Man

Transformation of Animal to Man

It is clear, that throughout Napoleon's leadership, the pigs escalate in greed and man-like qualities. What do you think the significance of the animals adoption of Mr Jones and man's (negative) qualities are? The opening of the book, including Old Major's speech outlines everything negative about man, yet the pigs slowly begin to adopt more and more of these negative qualities, for example food, luxuries (beds), alcohol and of course everything else in the final chapter.

Could this suggest the ubiquitous lust for greed in society. The ineffectiveness of communism due to the overwhelming nature of greed in man? Or is it simply symbolic for the characters associated with the pigs according to Russian history?

I'm sure this links in with the Russian Revolution, however my history is poor. I'd like to hear some of your opinions on this, as I think there will be some interesting interpretations.
    Last edited by James.; 11-30-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James. View Post
    It is clear, that throughout Napoleon's leadership, the pigs escalate in greed and man-like qualities. What do you think the significance of the animals adoption of Mr Jones and man's (negative) qualities are? The opening of the book, including Old Major's speech outlines everything negative about man, yet the pigs slowly begin to adopt more and more of these negative qualities, for example food, luxuries (beds), alcohol and of course everything else in the final chapter.
    Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by James. View Post
    I'm sure this links in with the Russian Revolution, however my history is poor. I'd like to hear some of your opinions on this, as I think there will be some interesting interpretations.

Check out the sticky thread at the top of the page - it discusses in great detail which bit of AF relates to which bit of the Russian Revolution and the after effects.

It's fairly long, but you'll find it well worth reading as the best source on the internet.

Cheers, I've already read a fair chunk of it, slowly making my way through.

"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it; and this I know, my lords, that where laws end, tyranny begins."

Definately using one of those two quotes in my next essay
    Like music? Music discussion? Interested in music journalism? Sound-Revolution is a music blog and forums looking for new members for music based discussion and budding writers with a passion for journalism.

http://sound-revolution.net